• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] Getting YouTube links to open in App

Search This thread

randomrobbi

Jun 6, 2010
Louisville, KY
Whenever I click a YouTube link it opens in the browser instead of the App.

Is this pertaining to the "data tapping" patent that Apple somehow was awarded and does anyone have any idea how to make it work as previously intended and open in the YouTube app.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

donatom3

Oct 13, 2007
Costa Mesa, CA
Thank Apple for this. It's part of the patent that had these phones held up in customs. It's the same on any US based Sense 3.6 rom and Sense 4.0 rom such as the HTC One X. The app that does this is htclinkifydispatcher.apk.

donatom3

Oct 13, 2007
Costa Mesa, CA
Is there a way to get it working on our phone again?

If you have root you can use a file explorer and rename htclinkifydispatcher.apk to something like htclinkifydispatcher.apkBAK. This will break a few things. You won't be able to open any links from the default text app, google talk will crash everytime you try to open a link, and you won't get youtube links to work in stock browser, but all other programs work fine.

randomrobbi

Jun 6, 2010
Louisville, KY
If you have root you can use a file explorer and rename htclinkifydispatcher.apk to something like htclinkifydispatcher.apkBAK. This will break a few things. You won't be able to open any links from the default text app, google talk will crash everytime you try to open a link, and you won't get youtube links to work in stock browser, but all other programs work fine.

Jesus Christ...I froze mine with titanium but YouTube still opens in browser. I will try it your way and see if I can live with it.

Why must Apple mess with HTC. I have had a Samsung Galaxy S and GS2 since the first Epic launched and this is seriously the one thing I hate about the EVO. Esp if I have 6 tabs open when I try to click a link.

On Viper also not that that matters.

Does any devs or anyone have any thoughts about reverting it back and having it be stable?

I would pay for the old way...I didn't always wanna use a certain app when hitting things and now I'm forced to set defaults.

donatom3

Oct 13, 2007
Costa Mesa, CA
Jesus Christ...I froze mine with titanium but YouTube still opens in browser. I will try it your way and see if I can live with it.

Why must Apple mess with HTC. I have had a Samsung Galaxy S and GS2 since the first Epic launched and this is seriously the one thing I hate about the EVO. Esp if I have 6 tabs open when I try to click a link.

Does any devs or anyone have any thoughts about reverting it back and having it be stable?

I would pay for the old way...I didn't always wanna use a certain app when hitting things and now I'm forced to set defaults.

Freezing doesn't work, I forgot to mention after renaming the file you have to reboot. Also make sure to clear defaults for the stock browser, and while you're at it, I suggest downloading ICS Browser+

Reactions: randomrobbi

scottspa74

Apr 3, 2009
everett

The irony there would be if you did that, so you could open links to YouTube with YouTube app, then somebody texted you a link to a YouTube video. Lol :mad:

But yeah, this infuriates me The way apple screwed us!! I mean, it used to work beautifully. It was genius. Can't wait for some AOSP ROMs, as they won't suffer from this. Everyone should smash apples :D

sent from my Evo LTE, usually.

donatom3

Oct 13, 2007
Costa Mesa, CA
The irony there would be if you did that, so you could open links to YouTube with YouTube app, then somebody texted you a link to a YouTube video. Lol :mad:

But yeah, this infuriates me The way apple screwed us!! I mean, it used to work beautifully. It was genius. Can't wait for some AOSP ROMs, as they won't suffer from this. Everyone should smash apples :D

sent from my Evo LTE, usually.

If you use a third party messaging app it's fine. Honestly HTC just needs to add more options to their app associations. Sense ROMs from other countries don't have this problem so a custom sense rom using their apks would solve this problem.

Kujila

Jun 7, 2011
even clicking youtube links from a google search in the stock browser opens them in the browser rather than the youtube app

so stupid... my evo shift did it just fine

rsk2mc

Oct 16, 2010
Cleveland
Funny that YouTube is owned by google yet they have to defend rights to use it

sent from my blobfish (if you don't know what a blobfish is, Google it)

david279

Sep 4, 2007
New Orleans
Funny that YouTube is owned by google yet they have to defend rights to use it

Its not the right to use it that has them in trouble its the method of opening links that apple claims they have the patent. Well not claim they do have it. Its sad they would give a patent for such a common function.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

rsk2mc

Oct 16, 2010
Cleveland
And next up will be the patent war for the power button, hell Nokia may have that

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Freezing doesn't work, I forgot to mention after renaming the file you have to reboot. Also make sure to clear defaults for the stock browser, and while you're at it, I suggest downloading ICS Browser+
    What I ended up doing is making Dolphin Browser my default browser and every time I click a YouTube link, it opens up Dolphin and prompts me of which app I'd like to use to view the video. Click YouTube and it'll open up in the YouTube app.

I wish Chrome Beta would do this as it performs beautifully on ICS. I find myself using Chrome, Dolphin, and Firefox for different tasks as each performs certain tasks different