• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] Google Play Services/Now Battery drain observations

Search This thread

alias_neo

Jun 9, 2006
London
So since the latest Google Play Services update, I have been suffering some serious battery drain issues. There are various mentions all around the internet and most point to the issue being 4.2.1, which, we aren't running.

I spent some time over the last few days trying to figure out what the issue is and have some observations. But, for some background, last few days I have been getting no more than 10 hours battery with no more than an hour or two screen time.

Google Play Services is listed as the biggest battery drainer with 49%, so I started looking into that.

First off, I noticed in battery stats that if Wifi is on, the device doesn't deep sleep, even though wifi is set to never on when sleeping, the wifi never turns off and the phone never deep sleeps.

First thing to try was turning off wifi, so, I turned off wifi, straight away, phone deep sleeps again.

Next I began messing with Google related things, first of all I "uninstall updates" on GPlayS, tested with Wifi on, great, no more battery drain, phone sleeps, BUT, phone keeps bugging me with notifications to update.

Next was to update, battery drain returns. So, disable Google Now in its own settings, battery drain remains when on Wifi, however, if I kill "Google Search" after disabling Google Now, the battery drain stops.

Various mention on the internet has attributed it to location history and location services in the "Google Settings" however I have had those disabled for a few days now and they seem not to be the issue in this case.

My conclusion so far is that the link between the latest GPlayS and Google Now is the real killer.

At present, I have Google Now disabled, and no battery drain, Wifi turns itself off as it should and the phone sleeps. This isn't a great solution since I use Google Now regularly.

I'm hoping that unless someone has come up with a realistic solution that doesn't involve disabling services, Google will release an update to fix the issue.

Currently without access to another device other than my N10, I'm unable to test whether this particular version of the issue is specific to the XZ or the GoogleNow/GPlayS versions.

My next test is to install Network Info from F-Droid and Better Battery stats, and see if I can attribute the thing preventing wifi from turning off during sleep, and hence the failure for the device to deep sleep, to a particular activity going on.

Further, I have already tested the GPlayS related services by disabling everything such as Calendar and Contact Sync, disabled all of books, movies, photo sync, disabled Google Plus, none of these had any effect on the issue, which all but rule them out of the equation.

Has anyone else got observations on this, is anyone else suffering the issue, or has anyone got a real solution?

I'm off on Holiday on Saturday and would really like to have access to Google Now back, but not have the battery drain that's going to kill my battery while roaming the streets of Rome without access to a charger.

Teknohtc

Nov 16, 2007
So since the latest Google Play Services update, I have been suffering some serious battery drain issues. There are various mentions all around the internet and most point to the issue being 4.2.1, which, we aren't running.

I spent some time over the last few days trying to figure out what the issue is and have some observations. But, for some background, last few days I have been getting no more than 10 hours battery with no more than an hour or two screen time.

Google Play Services is listed as the biggest battery drainer with 49%, so I started looking into that.

First off, I noticed in battery stats that if Wifi is on, the device doesn't deep sleep, even though wifi is set to never on when sleeping, the wifi never turns off and the phone never deep sleeps.

First thing to try was turning off wifi, so, I turned off wifi, straight away, phone deep sleeps again.

Next I began messing with Google related things, first of all I "uninstall updates" on GPlayS, tested with Wifi on, great, no more battery drain, phone sleeps, BUT, phone keeps bugging me with notifications to update.

Next was to update, battery drain returns. So, disable Google Now in its own settings, battery drain remains when on Wifi, however, if I kill "Google Search" after disabling Google Now, the battery drain stops.

Various mention on the internet has attributed it to location history and location services in the "Google Settings" however I have had those disabled for a few days now and they seem not to be the issue in this case.

My conclusion so far is that the link between the latest GPlayS and Google Now is the real killer.

At present, I have Google Now disabled, and no battery drain, Wifi turns itself off as it should and the phone sleeps. This isn't a great solution since I use Google Now regularly.

I'm hoping that unless someone has come up with a realistic solution that doesn't involve disabling services, Google will release an update to fix the issue.

Currently without access to another device other than my N10, I'm unable to test whether this particular version of the issue is specific to the XZ or the GoogleNow/GPlayS versions.

My next test is to install Network Info from F-Droid and Better Battery stats, and see if I can attribute the thing preventing wifi from turning off during sleep, and hence the failure for the device to deep sleep, to a particular activity going on.

Further, I have already tested the GPlayS related services by disabling everything such as Calendar and Contact Sync, disabled all of books, movies, photo sync, disabled Google Plus, none of these had any effect on the issue, which all but rule them out of the equation.

Has anyone else got observations on this, is anyone else suffering the issue, or has anyone got a real solution?

I'm off on Holiday on Saturday and would really like to have access to Google Now back, but not have the battery drain that's going to kill my battery while roaming the streets of Rome without access to a charger.

I shut it off it was draining my battery! :(

NXT3

May 29, 2014
I had the same problem.
And here's a solution for you: Factory data reset
After that there will be no problems with battery drain.

DJFliX

Feb 3, 2009
Utrecht
So the amount of battery drain has lowered significantly, but it is still there. I attached a screenshot from before the change and a screenshot from after.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-25-20-23-43.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-25-20-23-43.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 222
  • Screenshot_2014-05-30-19-16-47.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-30-19-16-47.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 231