[Q] GS4 f'ed up build.prop lost root. Begging for help!

Search This thread

silrosriv

May 2, 2012
Please help!!! Ok, let me start by saying that I've successfully rooted, soft bricked, and unbricked my previous S2 & Note 2. I just got an S4 about a month ago and decided to root today. While I was setting it up a month ago I updated to mf3 and had completely forgotten.
I did the new root via terminal and was successful. Installed SU just fine. I gave root to xplorer and switched out my build.prop for the sprint sg4 to install google wallet (the one I could actually use nfc with). Installed fine, then got an error about not having sufficient permission inside gw. I rebooted and somehow su lost binary. I've tried everything I could look up. I can't uninstall su without root, and I can't open it without the binaries. I can't replace the build.prop, or edit it. I can pull via adb but can't push. Can't do it through adb shell either. Can't use odin (cuz mf3), can't use mobile odin, can't use goo either. I'm lost.
It hasn't caused any serious problems but I'd like to have my at&t build.prop back. (Fyi, I did back it up before I did it. So I have it, I just can't replace it.)
Can this be fixed? Am I f'ed? Do I have to live with it til someone gets around the bootloader? Or do I have to take it back to bestbuy to replace it? (And if I do, Will they replace it?)

Update: BestBuy will not replace it.

jd1639

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Go to a best buy that has the Samsung experience. They won't replace the phone but they can flash the mf3 firmware and get you back to like new again. You'll have to sweet talk them.

Febby

May 19, 2010
You can also try visiting an att store to have them flash mf3.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

silrosriv

May 2, 2012
Thanks for the posts guys. Really appreciate it! I ended up trying to do an emergency flash via Kies. After a couple of dozen times of it failing to download (too slow) my phone ended up with the yellow triangle and said the firmware upgrade failed and to connect it to Kies. Luckily that showed that I wasn't rooted so I took it to a Samsung experience kiosk and they had me up and running in 10 minutes. Needless to say I'm not rooting again til there's a recovery for MF3!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

silrosriv

May 2, 2012
Jd1639, the girl I spoke to yesterday wouldn't reflash it for me. She could tell it wasn't stock because of the 4G signal.
I got lucky today with Kies failing! The hubs would've killed me!

dustyhughes

Oct 16, 2008
Jd1639, the girl I spoke to yesterday wouldn't reflash it for me. She could tell it wasn't stock because of the 4G signal.
I got lucky today with Kies failing! The hubs would've killed me!

I had the exact same experience with Best buy. The lady, as friendly as she was, was unhelpful in my situation. She kept saying they do not want to flash something that has been altered in any way just in case it gets bricked... it is to prevent liability on their part (which I can kind of understand). I even told her I'd be glad to sign a waiver to assume full liability if something goes wrong. She didn't go for it... Unfortunately, I'm stuck at the moment, I'm searching out ways to restore my build.prop from either adb sideload via the stock recovery or through ODIN somehow... There was a thread discussing a fix for the yellow triangle that required ODIN to flash some files (5 or so)... So, I was thinking if I can get the same type of thing setup for build.prop, I'd be in good shape... I just have 0 experience with doing this stuff, so I'm still reading/learning how it all works.

silrosriv

May 2, 2012
Dusty, I think if you're on MF3 nothing is going to work. You can try an emergency firmware flash through Kies. If you're at the yellow triangle and it's telling you to connect it to Kies then look at the top and see if it says that you're running Samsung official with write block enabled. If it does then take it back to the Samsung experience kiosk and tell them your PC froze during an update and that's what broke your phone.
Hope it helps. That's what worked for me.

Exel

Dec 31, 2010
Southern California
I had the exact same experience with Best buy. The lady, as friendly as she was, was unhelpful in my situation. She kept saying they do not want to flash something that has been altered in any way just in case it gets bricked... it is to prevent liability on their part (which I can kind of understand). I even told her I'd be glad to sign a waiver to assume full liability if something goes wrong. She didn't go for it... Unfortunately, I'm stuck at the moment, I'm searching out ways to restore my build.prop from either adb sideload via the stock recovery or through ODIN somehow... There was a thread discussing a fix for the yellow triangle that required ODIN to flash some files (5 or so)... So, I was thinking if I can get the same type of thing setup for build.prop, I'd be in good shape... I just have 0 experience with doing this stuff, so I'm still reading/learning how it all works.

Wait so you lost root, too?

What exactly is your problem?

Because you can replace your build.prop with adb easily.

dustyhughes

Oct 16, 2008
Wait so you lost root, too?

What exactly is your problem?

Because you can replace your build.prop with adb easily.

Sorry, I was a bit vague... I modded the build.prop to enable lockscreen rotation, which was basically adding one line to the end of the file. I realize how dumb this was, it was late and I wasn't thinking clearly :silly:....

Well, since I modded the build.prop, I cannot boot to the OS, in fact after the Samsung boot logo it doesn't even make it to the AT&T boot screen. It remains black after Samsung boot logo. The LED does turn blue after a bit, and if I have the phone plugged into the laptop the USB drivers will install, but I never make it to the OS no matter how long I leave the phone.

So I'm stuck not being able to boot to the OS. I can get to stock recovery and have the ADB sideload option, but it seems to be different that full blown ADB (from what I've gathered).

My biggest problem now is trying to take a copy of the clean build.prop and replace the one that is messed up in /system/

I can't determine exactly what I need (update script with build.prop etc) to load over sideload to get it to work.

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

Dusty, I think if you're on MF3 nothing is going to work. You can try an emergency firmware flash through Kies. If you're at the yellow triangle and it's telling you to connect it to Kies then look at the top and see if it says that you're running Samsung official with write block enabled. If it does then take it back to the Samsung experience kiosk and tell them your PC froze during an update and that's what broke your phone.
Hope it helps. That's what worked for me.

I can get my phone to the yellow triangle, but mine actually says custom in the top left instead of official... Because of that, I couldn't convince the lady at the kiosk to flash my phone. Granted, it wasn't on the yellow triangle yesterday when i took it. I did convince her to plug it in while I had it in download mode. It recognized my phone, but I couldn't get her to proceed with flashing it. :(

silrosriv

May 2, 2012
Sorry, I was a bit vague... I modded the build.prop to enable lockscreen rotation, which was basically adding one line to the end of the file. I realize how dumb this was, it was late and I wasn't thinking clearly :silly:....

Well, since I modded the build.prop, I cannot boot to the OS, in fact after the Samsung boot logo it doesn't even make it to the AT&T boot screen. It remains black after Samsung boot logo. The LED does turn blue after a bit, and if I have the phone plugged into the laptop the USB drivers will install, but I never make it to the OS no matter how long I leave the phone.

So I'm stuck not being able to boot to the OS. I can get to stock recovery and have the ADB sideload option, but it seems to be different that full blown ADB (from what I've gathered).

My biggest problem now is trying to take a copy of the clean build.prop and replace the one that is messed up in /system/

I can't determine exactly what I need (update script with build.prop etc) to load over sideload to get it to work.

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

I can get my phone to the yellow triangle, but mine actually says custom in the top left instead of official... Because of that, I couldn't convince the lady at the kiosk to flash my phone. Granted, it wasn't on the yellow triangle yesterday when i took it. I did convince her to plug it in while I had it in download mode. It recognized my phone, but I couldn't get her to proceed with flashing it. :(

Try this
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1236732

Reactions: dustyhughes

silrosriv

May 2, 2012

Then I would try Kies. Leave your phone unplugged, then go to tools, upgrade and initialization, in all caps enter your device (mine is SGH-I337), click ok, enter your serial number, click ok, then plug in your phone in Odin mode. If that doesn't work you may have to wait for someone to figure out MF3 with Odin. :(

dustyhughes

Oct 16, 2008
Try this

Thanks much, I really appreciate the help. I have tried to push/pull files from my device without luck. The only option i have for ADB on my phone at the moment is the stock recovery "install over adb". It looks like the only commands I can run are "adb devices" (which lists my phone as "sideload") and "adb sideload"... I've used the sideload command to try and flash an OTA mf3 cfg file I found in another thread. the file was successfully pushed to the phone, and the update began but failed with an erro code of 7 (which is supposed to mean wrong device or something).

I was thinking if I could encapsulate the build.prop with a script into one of these update files to be pushed over sideload, I may be able to get my build.prop replaced and my phone running again. But i'm not sure how to build that file, or whether or not it would even have access to replace a file in the "/system" folder.

I'm still searching, and will update when/if I find an answer.

silrosriv

May 2, 2012
Thanks much, I really appreciate the help. I have tried to push/pull files from my device without luck. The only option i have for ADB on my phone at the moment is the stock recovery "install over adb". It looks like the only commands I can run are "adb devices" (which lists my phone as "sideload") and "adb sideload"... I've used the sideload command to try and flash an OTA mf3 cfg file I found in another thread. the file was successfully pushed to the phone, and the update began but failed with an erro code of 7 (which is supposed to mean wrong device or something).

I was thinking if I could encapsulate the build.prop with a script into one of these update files to be pushed over sideload, I may be able to get my build.prop replaced and my phone running again. But i'm not sure how to build that file, or whether or not it would even have access to replace a file in the "/system" folder.

I'm still searching, and will update when/if I find an answer.

Not sure, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you're in recovery (blue DOS looking menu list). Power button & volume up? That is how you get to sideload. To do regular adb you need to run an app for terminal emulator while the phone is actually on.

dustyhughes

Oct 16, 2008
Then I would try Kies. Leave your phone unplugged, then go to tools, upgrade and initialization, in all caps enter your device (mine is SGH-I337), click ok, enter your serial number, click ok, then plug in your phone in Odin mode. If that doesn't work you may have to wait for someone to figure out MF3 with Odin. :(

I'm afraid you are right... If MF3 were available through Kies (since I was unfortunate enough to get a phone with mf3) i'd be ok... but i think i may just be waiting a while.... My wife has the same phone, so if i could image hers, I could go that route... but again, out of my area of expertise.

---------- Post added at 12:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

Not sure, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you're in recovery (blue DOS looking menu list). Power button & volume up? That is how you get to sideload. To do regular adb you need to run an app for terminal emulator while the phone is actually on.

you are correct, I cannot get to the phone's os for full blown adb...

Exel

Dec 31, 2010
Southern California
I'm afraid you are right... If MF3 were available through Kies (since I was unfortunate enough to get a phone with mf3) i'd be ok... but i think i may just be waiting a while.... My wife has the same phone, so if i could image hers, I could go that route... but again, out of my area of expertise.

---------- Post added at 12:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

I kind of want to try for you..
You have TeamViewer? It's a remote access app for your PC so I can run some commands on your PC (adb)

silrosriv

May 2, 2012

Have you tried to boot in safe mode? I don't think it will let you change anything though.

dustyhughes

Oct 16, 2008
I kind of want to try for you..
You have TeamViewer? It's a remote access app for your PC so I can run some commands on your PC (adb)

I do not have teamviewer currently installed. I've been using LogMeIn since it was completely free and kind of just stuck with it. I've also used join.me for the one off remote assistance situations.

i would be willing to allow you to try. I currently have ADB installed and have updated the windows path environment to use ADB universally, so there's no need to be in any certain directory.

I would be willing to allow you to attempt something... I'm almost desperate at this point :D

Sorry for the delay, I'm still at work, and something came up.

dustyhughes

Oct 16, 2008
Have you tried to boot in safe mode? I don't think it will let you change anything though.

i'm not sure what you mean about safe mode, is there a hardware key combination required for it?

---------- Post added at 01:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

You guys can also try Join.me totally free.

Yes, I love Join.me... I liked it more before it started "suggesting" you to buy it all the time though :)

Exel

Dec 31, 2010
Southern California
i'm not sure what you mean about safe mode, is there a hardware key combination required for it?

---------- Post added at 01:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

Yes, I love Join.me... I liked it more before it started "suggesting" you to buy it all the time though :)

Feel free to PM me the info and whatnot and I'll see what I can do for you. :)

Reactions: dustyhughes

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Try this

Feel free to PM me the info and whatnot and I'll see what I can do for you. :)
    That was my original thought... I've downloaded the drivers from Sammy directly... Then read where it's best to allow Kies to download them by doing the "troubleshoot your connection" option... I allowed Kies to download the drivers, and they were working BEFORE I toileted my phone... :confused:

I also debloated the phone by moving the ATT files and the OTA update checking files to an external SD card... All of which, I found on a thread showing "safe files to remove". After debloating, I rebooted and all was good.... and I didn't have issues until after (a day or so later) I modded the build.prop file... But, now I'm wondering if the lack of OTA update apks from /system/apps are preventing me from doing what needs to be done. :confused:

http://developer.samsung.com/android/tools-sdks/Samsung-Andorid-USB-Driver-for-Windows
    Thanks, I've downloaded it and will get it installed. I've pulled the battery for now... It gets super hot when I let it boot normally (to the black screen)... I'll update when I get a chance to manaully install the drives and run some adb commands

I found this on Google.
    http://forum.androidgadget.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=338

I hate to say it because I hate doing it, but I would do the yellow triangle then go to a best buy with a Samsung experience kiosk, make sure it's a guy, then have your wife sweet talk him, like Excel said. She might get away with it if she makes him think she'll be in big trouble if you find out. And do definitely skip the part about it being rooted.

Indeed.

Bonus if she's not wearing a shirt, and you record it. :highfive: :good:

Kidding, bud. Best of luck!
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone