• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] HD Voice support?

Search This thread

r3loaded2010

Jul 30, 2010
Out of interest does anyone know if the Nexus 4 will support HD voice? Is it a feature that requires baseband support or is it implemented in the system software?

Reactions: Lex360

sjgore

Aug 18, 2010
West Yorkshire, UK
Out of interest does anyone know if the Nexus 4 will support HD voice? Is it a feature that requires baseband support or is it implemented in the system software?

Good question. I've currently got it on my Samsung Galaxy S3.

For it to work, you need all of the following:
- A handset that supports it (hardware-wise)
- A network that supports it (such as 3 Mobile in the UK)
- Software that supports it (The official 3 Mobile Samsung ROMs for the S3 support it, and CM10 supports it for the S3, but I don't know whether this was added in or part of Android 4.1.X natively)
- The call needs to be between two devices that meet all of the above.

HD voice is very impressive, though. It's like having the person stood next to you talking in your ear (which may or may not be a good thing, depending who you're talking to!).

I hope the Nexus 4 has it, it might possibly even be a deal-breaker for me if it doesn't.

Last edited:

r3loaded2010

Jul 30, 2010
Well, the baseband is a Qualcomm MDM9615 which should definitely support AMR-WB (the codec needed for HD Voice) so that's one part of the puzzle solved. Three definitely support it on their network, so the only question now is whether the phone's software supports it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex360

Lex360

Mar 15, 2009
ja i have also tried to google that info... guess we have to ask the real google ^^ or LG?
really hope tht it will support HD Voice

Lex360

Mar 15, 2009
Well, the baseband is a Qualcomm MDM8215 which should definitely support AMR-WB (the codec needed for HD Voice) so that's one part of the puzzle solved. Three definitely support it on their network, so the only question now is whether the phone's software supports it.

Looks like the Optimus G also has it..?
So hardwarewise we are safe to go? CM 10 also does support it if i am not mistaken? would be strange if Android would not?
Also tried to contact LG but that did not help much. ( They at least assured me it is voice enabled and has got google now *facepalm*)

vido.ardes

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 22, 2008
UK
Well, the baseband is a Qualcomm MDM8215 which should definitely support AMR-WB (the codec needed for HD Voice) so that's one part of the puzzle solved. Three definitely support it on their network, so the only question now is whether the phone's software supports it.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but isn't it the DSP that needs to support it? The QDSP6 does appear to support AMR-WB anyway, I just didn't think the baseband had anything to do with it, have I misunderstood?

r3loaded2010

Jul 30, 2010
Forgive me if I am wrong, but isn't it the DSP that needs to support it? The QDSP6 does appear to support AMR-WB anyway, I just didn't think the baseband had anything to do with it, have I misunderstood?
The DSP responsible for implementing the codec is integrated within the MDM baseband chip, and from what I've gleaned the baseband does support it.

sjgore

Aug 18, 2010
West Yorkshire, UK
Well I've got my Nexus 4 now, so I rang my wife on her Samsung Galaxy S III (we're both on the 3 network in the UK) and the call was in HD.

So the Nexus 4 does support HD voice! :)

Reactions: r3loaded2010

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, the baseband is a Qualcomm MDM9615 which should definitely support AMR-WB (the codec needed for HD Voice) so that's one part of the puzzle solved. Three definitely support it on their network, so the only question now is whether the phone's software supports it.
    Well I've got my Nexus 4 now, so I rang my wife on her Samsung Galaxy S III (we're both on the 3 network in the UK) and the call was in HD.

So the Nexus 4 does support HD voice! :)