• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] HDMI support? Yes / no?

Search This thread

clubtech

Jun 26, 2007
USA
Does this Tab has HDMI support via the adapter?
I tried with my adapter from the Tab 7 plus but nothing i showing up on the screen.
I could not find any mention of HDMI support in the Samsung official product page.

bark777

Feb 28, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Tab HDTV Adapter EPL-3PHPBEG

Is this the adapter you tested?

I hope it works, as I have it on order.

Attachments

• adapter.jpg
    adapter.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 2,427

bark777

Feb 28, 2012
:confused:

Well DLNA/AllShare works great with my BR and the TV both but I was hoping that HDMI would work too.

Just off chat with Samsung support:

"Yes, the tab will support the HDMI connection using the HDTV adapter, however; I'm sorry to inform you that there are no accessories available for the tab as of now but it will be available and updated soon."

Last edited:

cpetemn

May 14, 2012
hdmi & manual

I bought the hdmi adapter yesterday and also found it did not work. However in the Samsung manual it says: "Supports HDMI/MHL connections to connect electronic devices to high-definition televisions (HDTVs) and displays".

So, I am not sure if they plan a new adapter and I should return this one of if it will be some sort of software patch to allow it to function...

Anyway, for those interested, here is the Samsung the tab 2 7.0 user manual.

downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201204/20120427002407751/Generic_Wi-Fi_GT-P3113_Galaxy_Tab_2_English_User_Manual_LD3_F3.pdf

-----------------------------------
* New info from Samsung Support...

Just received the call and they have been testing the Tab2 7.0 in the support dept. (no one else must know the answer) and I have been officially told that the current 30 pin hdmi adapter "Does Not Work with this tablet"! They have no idea if a new adapter will surface or when.

Last edited:
Reactions: pedro.witzel

sark666

Dec 2, 2010
This is not on sale in Canada yet, but I one site has it listed for pre-order and lists it does have hdmi support but via an adapter.

So either it's wrong or samsung changed the adapter to be used. I really wish they'd just put in a micro-hdmi port instead of adapters. But I'd like to hear/confirm that at least an adapter will work.

jaaka78

Mar 23, 2010
The tab 2 10.1 does work with the original hdmi adapter. I tested it today.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using XDA Premium HD app

juliushn

Jun 5, 2012
Tegucigalpa
Galaxy Tab 2 7.0

Does anyone know if the HDMI adapter (official) works in the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0? or maybe you can give a link of one adapter that works...

Sorry for my english, im from Honduras.

K

knucklesmckay

It would be great if TV out worked on the tab 2 7.0inch. When I bought it I thought that it had those capabilities, but I am unsure if it does. If anyone gets it working let us know.

HB_Mosh

Jun 8, 2012
Bogota
I don't think it works. Not for now. Tested it before and no luck.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

damaki

Jan 11, 2011
Same here: bought it, it won't work and even worse, it unmounts my micro sd card to be able to potentially mount a sd card.
They really totally ****ed up on that one... it's not even written on the adapter box. It plugs in like it were compatible, but it just won't work.

tembares

Sep 13, 2006
Sint Maarten
Samsung Galaxy Tab HDTV Adapter EPL-3PHPBEG

Is this the adapter you tested?

I hope it works, as I have it on order.

And... Did it work?

---------- Post added at 02:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 AM ----------

The funny thing is that Samsung put a note in the Galaxy Tab 2 to bring their accessories under the buyers attention.
On that note is the HDMI adapter.
Strange people, those at Samsung.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There is no chip like Sil9234BT on the Tab2 7 because HDMI IS ON PROCESSOR.

If you know anything on electronics hardware, take a look at the OMAP4430 datasheet, HDMI is on-chip, it just needs a trivial level-converter from the 1.8V of the processor core to the 5V HDMI bus. ALSO, OMAP4430 have a composite (RCA) video out.

BOTH ON-PROCESSOR...

So, if you don't know hardware, don't say crªp like "the hardware is not there"... Because IT IS!

Oh, yes, maybe some Samsung engineer migth have been stupid enough to don't make the ON-PROCESSOR features available, or maybe they just don't wanted to make it available due to commercial issues. MAYBE...

Or, maybe, the pinout of the 30-pin connector is just different from the previous ones, and as the Samsung support said, "they will make an adapter available in the future"...

But, definitely, THE HARDWARE IS THERE. "Period".

Lol, yeah I know a little about hardware. But I guess I wasn't specific enough as was trying to keep it short. I am evaluating about 10 different devices at the momement for HDMI output and didn't put enough detail as had other things to do. Had been asked by a friend of the forum to come over here and post my findings. I always reserve the right to be wrong, but unless someone finds that the required circuitry is there I have given up looking as I have exausted all my known methods of investigation. And current conclusion is that the GTP3113 is missing the necessary hardware for HDMI out.

The OMAP4430, while is does have basic HDMI support onboard it does require a range of support chips to output the video, which are not on the GT-P3113 motherboard. This is not just as simple as a level converter, specifically on the 4430 its recommended by TI to use the TPD12S015 which provides voltage level conversion, power management, plug detection, and bidirectional gate control. Then are are the required resistors on CPU pins as well as assignments of GPIO and powermanagements control pins from the PMU. While going through a panda board I was able to make a list of traces, connections and support circuitry that is required for the HDMI output to work on the OMAP4430. Since panda boards are built from same basic reference designs provided by TI , I made the assumption that similiar circuitry would be required on the GT-P3113. Typically that means certain pins on the CPU die held up with pull up resistors, certain GPIO pin's tied or PMU pin's tied to a HDMI support chip. All things I don't see.

I see no evidence on the GT-P3113 that such circuitry exists on the MB but did find locations on the MB where I think they left open pads for it. With out seeing any of the expected support chips (AD9381, TPD12S521, TPD12S015 or Sil9234BT) that have been seen in samsung or other manufacturers devices with HDMI out capabilities the only conclusion I can make as it doesn't exist on the GTP3113 which is something samsungs developer support has been telling me from the begining. There developer/platform support folks are general right more often then their general customer support.

While its true the OMAP4430 can support composite video out, it requires specific resistor/capaciter configurations for the board the processors are on. On the GT-P3113 I observed no obvious traces for CVIDEO_VFB, CVIDEO_RSET or connections to CVIDEO_TVOUT to indicate device circuitry was configured to allow composite TV output. So from everythng I can see the device doesn't support composite video out as the required traces and discrete components are not there. Of all the video out options it is in theory the easiest to add onto a device via some soldering and modification but its something I have never tried. But right now the driver comes up and detects that the composite video option is disabled via hardware, so physical modifactions would have to be made.

Numerous others have done work with the omapdss driver trying to determine what can be enabled on the GT-P3113 and checking signal levels (via oscilliscope) on pins were we would expect signals to be present. I could go and on....and on with everything that has been tried. But all indications is that the physical connections and wired components are just not there to allow video output. I would be pleasantly surprised if we turned out to be wrong and would welcome someone showing me what we might have missed as would love to get HDMI working on our GTP3113's.
    I have that same HDMI adapter and can confirm that it does definitely NOT WORK.
    hdmi & manual

I bought the hdmi adapter yesterday and also found it did not work. However in the Samsung manual it says: "Supports HDMI/MHL connections to connect electronic devices to high-definition televisions (HDTVs) and displays".

So, I am not sure if they plan a new adapter and I should return this one of if it will be some sort of software patch to allow it to function...

Anyway, for those interested, here is the Samsung the tab 2 7.0 user manual.

downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201204/20120427002407751/Generic_Wi-Fi_GT-P3113_Galaxy_Tab_2_English_User_Manual_LD3_F3.pdf

-----------------------------------
    * New info from Samsung Support...

Just received the call and they have been testing the Tab2 7.0 in the support dept. (no one else must know the answer) and I have been officially told that the current 30 pin hdmi adapter "Does Not Work with this tablet"! They have no idea if a new adapter will surface or when.
    Do not shoot the messenger :)

Last ... I had a chat with Samsung report.
    They CONFIRMED that the HDMI adapter and desk dock must work with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.
    Below the transcript with the agent
    (If someone knows how to space it, please let me know)

Chat Transcript

info: Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond. info: You are now chatting with 'Santino B'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today. info: Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK56401300866X Santino B: Hi, thanks for reaching out to Samsung tech support. How can I help you today? Visitor: Hello, I am looking for a way to connect my SGT2 to my TV, like HDMI, or to my stereo. Visitor: I bought the cable with the 3 plugs, but no sound and video from my device. Santino B: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you. Visitor: So my question is: what product with which product number do I need. I prefer the HDMI connection. Santino B: I see that you're not chatting from the US, and it seems to be a non-US model. Visitor: I was in Washington and bought it at Best Buy. Santino B: Are you referring to a Samsung phone? Visitor: No, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 Santino B: Thank you for the confirmation. Santino B: I really sorry; as of now, there is no HDTV adapter available for the Samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1. Santino B: Once the accessory releases, you can connect the tab to the TV. Visitor: Is there an adapter to connect it to my stereo? Santino B: I will be right with you. Santino B: Thank you for waiting. I'll be with you in just a moment. Santino B: I'm really sorry for the delay. Santino B: As I double checked in our available resources, you can connect the tab to the HDTV using the HDTV adapter, and you can use a desk dock to connect stereo to the tab. Visitor: Can you give me the product numbers? Visitor: Of the HDMI (is this the HDTV you mean) and from the desk dock. Santino B: I will provide you with the links to find information on HDTV adapter and desk dock. Santino B: Please click on the link below to find information on HDTV adapter: Santino B: http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-tab-accessories/EPL-3PHPBEGSTA Santino B: Please click on the link below to find information on desk dock: Santino B: http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-tab-accessories/EDD-D100BEGSTA Visitor: So, those two accessories do have to work on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1? Santino B: Yes, you need to purchase the accessories to connect the tab to the TV and you can also connect the tab to the home theatre system. Visitor: Good, thank you for the information and confirmation. Enjoy the rest of your day! Santino B: You're welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with? Visitor: No, thank you.

---------- Post added at 03:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 AM ----------

Hey guys.. I can't seem to get HDMI to work on the 10" as well... using the official cable, but it just doesn't do anything....

Am I missing something here? I thought it was supposed to work with a 10"?

Somewhere I red that you have to connect the power to the HDMI connector. Tried that already?
    Base on espresso10 kernel config information, all 10.1 version have hdmi support by default. I try to enable all hdmi related config for espresso (P3100) and I got:
    Code:
    [email protected]:/ # dmesg | grep hdmi
    <4>[    0.781677] C0 [        swapper] omapdss_hdmi: probe of omapdss_hdmi failed with error -22
    <3>[    1.551452] C0 [        swapper] omap-hdmi-codec omap-hdmi-codec: can't find HDMI device
    <3>[    1.551544] C0 [        swapper] omap-hdmi-codec omap-hdmi-codec: asoc: failed to probe CODEC omap-hdmi-codec: -19
    So, P3100 have no hdmi device but we still have a chance, espresso have Silicone Image Sii9290 dongle support (have to recompile kernel to enable it) and there 2 converter from Samsung, HDMI and HDTV. The HDTV version has Sii9290 inside? Convert MHL signal to HDTV?