• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.

[Q] HELP - I think I bricked my Epic

ghmacdonald

Dec 6, 2010
Help - I have been trying to get back to the stock rom load ever since I used the update.zap to get 2.2.1. I have trouble getting my XP system to see the Epic in download mode. Well today it saw it so I tried using the software in Odin3+v1.61andepic.pit.zip. It failed once and then it looked like it worked (I think) but when I tried to power it up I got phone symbol connected to symbol with a ! in it connected to a symbol of a pc. Now I get the message on the pc that the device is not recognized.

Where do I go from here??????

If I can ever get the PC to see the phone, what files do I need to fix it.

Thanks for any help

George MacDonald

Koadic

Oct 1, 2010
Ok, am assuming you have the following...

SPH-D700-DI18-8Gb-REL.tar.md5

20100512.pit (I have never used the 528.pit file to flash DI18 back on to the phone, only the 512.pit file, which is why I listed it here)

I am going to assume the newer v1.61 of Odin which you have will work ok with the above pit file, but it is only an assumption.

(Listing all steps just for the sake of having it all together, not trying to imply you were doing anything incorrectly)

Pull the battery from your phone and restart your computer. When it is all booted up, start odin and load the .tar.md5 (PDA section) and .pit (the PIT section) files into their respective places. Also make sure that only 'Reboot' is checked.

Next, insert the battery into your phone and boot into download mode (keyboard '1' + the 'Power' button). After it has entered 'Download' mode, then connect your phone to the computer with the usb cable. You should now see a COM port in Odin, if you dont, you need to try a different USB cable or port and try again until you do. If you have exhausted your available options with possible USB cables/ports, you may want to try uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers and trying again (if somehow you installed kies, I recall reading that at least one other person had an issue with it being installed, so try uninstalling that too).

As soon as your phone is recognized by Odin, hit the Start button and wait for it to finish. If it fails, pull the battery of your phone, close Odin, restart phone and Odin, and try, try again (following the same steps as above).

Addition: If your still having issues getting your device recognized, you can try 'uninstalling' the Epic or any 'Unknown Hardware' (have to make sure the phone is connected to do this) from the Device Manager in Windows, just make sure you also click the box to 'Delete the driver software for this device' if possible. When you have removed the Epic from the Device Manager, unplug your phone, reinstall the drivers, then plug your phone back in to see if it loads the correct drivers and recognizes it. When in download mode, the items in the Device Manager will be 'Modems->SAMSUNG Mobile Modem' and 'Universal Serial Bus controllers->SAMSUNG USB Composite Device'

Last edited:

ecooce

Nov 13, 2010
+1 on the procedure...I thought I was bricked the first time I couldnt power up,just pull the battery.Now Ive seen this about 6 times,but I flashed back ti stock more then 100 times.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

ghmacdonald

Dec 6, 2010
Tried on another computer

Well I found another computer to try. I found the Epic OK. Did the download as described above. Download failed.

I will try the above again tomorrow as I won't be able to get to the other computer until then.

Thanks for any help

George MacDonald

Last edited:

ghmacdonald

Dec 6, 2010
Good News

Well finally some good news. I got it to work this morning. Went back and redownloaded all the files. Uninstalled the drivers on my computer. Borrowed the cable from my wife's Samsung. Put the original battery back in my Epic. Then I tried again. Work just like I was told it should.

I think that the two I had used before are bad. It looked like it would try to start and then the connection would be broken.

Now all I have to do is rebuild the system (the dumps I had taken are missing things like email accounts.

Thanks all for the help

George

android&me

Jan 16, 2011
+1 on the procedure...I thought I was bricked the first time I couldnt power up,just pull the battery.Now Ive seen this about 6 times,but I flashed back ti stock more then 100 times.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App
i think i bricked my samsung epic.. i was trying to install 2.2.1 froyo with odin and it went through all the prompts and at the end of the install the phone reset and it hasnt gone back on since.. did i brick my phone?

I tried pulling out the battery for 30 secs and still not going back on.. it wont go into recovery mode.. when i press the buttons ( 1 + power) it still stays on the black screen... someone please help!

Whosdaman

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 9, 2008
Gainesville, Florida
Please post questions in Q&A section. Everyone please remember to click the "Report Post" button on the original post to have immediate action taken by the moderators. Also do not post in the thread itself telling the user that he made a mistake or broke a rule as it doesn't contribute to the thread and is unnecessary.

For everyone's information, the Report Post feature is the red triangle in the top-right corner of a post with the "!" inside of it.

leatherneck6017

Oct 22, 2010
Portland, OR
i think i bricked my samsung epic.. i was trying to install 2.2.1 froyo with odin and it went through all the prompts and at the end of the install the phone reset and it hasnt gone back on since.. did i brick my phone?

I tried pulling out the battery for 30 secs and still not going back on.. it wont go into recovery mode.. when i press the buttons ( 1 + power) it still stays on the black screen... someone please help!
Pull battery for 5 minutes, hold 1 + power WHILE inserting battery. Also, are you sure there is a charge on the battery?

Our Apps
Get our official app! (coming soon)
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone