[Q] Help! Lumia 520 dead during restoring from WP10 preview

Search This thread

Shad0wguy

Jun 22, 2010
Long Island, NY
Lumia 925 checking in. Same issue here. Used the Windows Phone Recovery Tool, failed midway through and now my phone has display and won't respond to any button combination and is detected as QHSUSB_DLOAD when connected to a computer. So many people with this issue and microsoft hasn't said jack. Years of tinkering with Android devices and never bricked one, yet Microsofts own tool bricked my Lumia. Gonna go check out some Android phones to replace my lumia. Maybe Microsoft will eventually issue a fix for this.

4ny0n3

Aug 30, 2009
Leiria
Xiaomi Mi 9
Xiaomi 11T Pro
To those having the flashing process fail at whatever % using Thor2. Just run the command again, without rebooting your phone, it will continue. It worked for me at least. I have a Lumia 822 that was stuck in red flashing screen after attempting to flash directly from Nokia Care Suite Windows 10 TP to Windows 8.1 with Lumia Denim.

LightningF

Mar 26, 2013
Hi, let me know whether it was successful or not.

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 PM ----------

Go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Care Suite\Windows Phone Recovery Tool" in command prompt using cd command. execute the thor tool in that location.

I'm really dumb so could you actually explain how do I access thor2 without getting the same error as our friend?
Edit: Already understood!

Last edited:

zahidkamran

May 23, 2015
Lumia 525 Red screen

I restored using this process my lumia 525. after downgrading problem from wp10 to wp8.1.
I suffered power failure during restore operation;)

gauravss123

Sep 18, 2015
I am unable to flash file.

Can you help? When i start process after 69% show error:

Can you say how remove this error?
*upd
after 2-3 try success, but after nokia in black screen no continue, WindowsPhoneRecoveryTool see phone try download last version.
*upd2
file what i found was 8.0 version) Gl to other

My lumia 520 is stuck on red screen with NOKIA logo. No matter if i try
Code:
thor2.exe -mode vpl -maxtransfersizekb 1 -vplfile C:\ProgramData\Nokia\Packages\Products\rm-914\RM914_059S1N6_3058.50000.1425.0001_790.vpl
or
Code:
thor2 -mode uefiflash -ffufile "C:\ProgramData\Nokia\Packages\Products\rm-914\RM914_3058.50000.1425.0001_RETAIL_im_india_269_01_444377_prd_signed.ffu"

I get this error
Code:
Start sending header data...
Unable to send to header data to device!
Send of FFU header failed!
[IN] programSecureFfuFile. Closing C:\ProgramData\Nokia\Packages\Products\rm-914\RM914_3058.50000.1425.0001_RETAIL_im_india_269_01_444377_prd_signed.ffu
programming operation failed!
Operation took about 20.00 seconds.

THOR2_ERROR_UNABLE_TO_SEND_MESSAGE

THOR2 1.8.2.18 exited with error code 327681 (0x50001)

beav1se

May 27, 2017
i cant make this, m8. my cmd.exe crashing or i see an error like "cant send a message"
help me please

mattwhite7102

Dec 16, 2014
United Kingdom
LG G5
Meizu Pro 6 Plus
I bricked my lumia 520 through trial and error but i got the solution below ONLY IF YOU GOT THE QHSUSB_DLOAD MODE:

1. Paste this file directory in cmd.exe

C:/Program Files/Microsoft Care Suite/Windows Phone Recovery Tool

2. Now the code is:

Thor2 -mode emergency -hexfile C:/xxxx/xxxx/xxxx.hex -mbnfile C:/xxxxx/xxxxx/GPT0.bin -orig_gpt

Replace xxxxx with the corrosponding file directories leading to the file

Then it shouldnt take more than a few seconds

3. Then take out the battery, put it in the phone and hold the power button, you should feel a vibration and it boots automatcally in nokia flash mode

4. Then just flash the ffu onto the phone by inputting this and pressing enter:

Thor2 -mode uefiflash -ffu C:/xxxxx/xxxx.ffu

To generate GPT0.bin the code is:

Thor2 -mode ffureader C:/xxxxx/xxxxx.ffu -dump_gpt C:/xxxxx/xxxx

IMPORTANT: always dump the current ffu file flashed onto the phone otherwise it will not work

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I intstalled the WP10 preview which includes support for the 520, but the settings app didn't work and I couldn't reset the device so I used the Windows Phone Recovery Tool to revert to 8.1. However, as the firmware was about to install, the device went into flash mode (as it does while installing a firmware) and an error dialgue opened on my laptop saying that there was an error. After that my phone's screen went black and its not vibrating or powering on even when connected to a power source. I doubt that it is restorable, but any help would be much appreciated
    Thank you guys for letting me know about the link :) I'm posting it in the OP so that everyone having this issue can upvote on that thread.
    Link: https://social.technet.microsoft.co...e-recovery-possible?forum=WinPreview2015Phone
    So I intstalled the WP10 preview which includes support for the 520, but the settings app didn't work and I couldn't reset the device so I used the Windows Phone Recovery Tool to revert to 8.1. However, as the firmware was about to install, the device went into flash mode (as it does while installing a firmware) and an error dialgue opened on my laptop saying that there was an error. After that my phone's screen went black and its not vibrating or powering on even when connected to a power source. I doubt that it is restorable, but any help would be much appreciated.

I've just got the exact same error and I've spent the last hours trying everything possible and every tutorial to make it work. I'm afraid it's completely bricked. It's not responding to anything, when plugged into the pc it shows up as "QHSUSB_DLOAD" which is usually a very bad sign, and every software recovery or phone recovery tool I've tried from MS and Nokia either don't detect it or say it's not supported.

It's dead.
    After a bit of reading more and more people are reporting this, so please put your own experience on this technet thread, it's a good idea to centralize reports where Microsoft can see it.

I can't link it here (don't have the permission to post links yet) but it's the first result by typing "Lumia 620 bricked during rollback procedure: recovery possible?" in google.
    [QRCODE][/QRCODE]The same problem with L520. There is already post on Technet regarding this problem
    You can search Google by typing in: QHSUSB_DLOAD technet
    Please upvote, then we would have some respond from Microsoft, maybe alternative driver, tool or something...
    My Nokia does not turn on

The same problem! My Nokia does not turn on. I've tried everything! Any solution? :(