• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] Help. My tf300 is dead

Search This thread

Aqueouss

Mar 12, 2013
1. I dropped the tablet from approximately 50cm above a hard surface.
2. Initially, I thought it was no big deal, so I proceed to try turning it on.
3. Something was odd; the tablet did not boot at all. It's NOT stuck on Asus logo. All I can see was black screen, completely unresponsive.

4. So I tried to hold power for 30sec, reset, hold reset for 30sec... nothing worked. :crying:
5. I figured, 'something must have gone wrong with the hardware when it dropped'.
6. Thus, I opened the tablet & carefully tried to find out what went wrong. (And I really hope I didn't break it even more in the process...)
7. And here I am stuck with no more idea.

WHAT I FOUND OUT:
LED indicator flashes twice when I press power or when I connect charger. Edit: It only flashes twice if I have charger connected. Nothing happens if it's disconnected from charger.
PC does not recognize tf300.
I have no warranty.

Please help me. Thank you!

Last edited:

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
3. Something was odd; the tablet did not boot at all. It's NOT stuck on Asus logo. All I can see was black screen, completely unresponsive.

4. So I tried to hold power for 30sec, reset, hold reset for 30sec... nothing worked. :crying:
5. I figured, 'something must have gone wrong with the hardware when it dropped'.
6. Thus, I opened the tablet & carefully tried to find out what went wrong. (And I really hope I didn't break it even more in the process...)

WHAT I FOUND OUT:
LED indicator flashes twice when I press power or when I connect charger. Edit: It only flashes twice if I have charger connected. Nothing happens if it's disconnected from charger.
I have no warranty.

Not much to go from, but it sounds like the battery is disconnected.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Aqueouss

Aqueouss

Mar 12, 2013

Thank you. I thought about that, too. But I cannot do anything because I have no idea which connector is which...

Can you anybody tell me where the disconnection might be? (location of battery related port?)

Last edited:

ricco333

Jul 24, 2012
Miami, FL
Thank you. I thought about that, too. But I cannot do anything because I have no idea which connector is which...

Can you anybody tell me where the disconnection might be? (location of battery related port?)

Here is a couple of things you can do, it already does not work so what the hell, it can't get any worse. Drink two shots of Grey Goose and check out these links.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Disassembling+Asus+tf300+Tablet/11794/1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_JRLd7lPv8

Good Luck!!

Erik

rmvieira

Apr 19, 2013
I seem to have the same issue

Here is a couple of things you can do, it already does not work so what the hell, it can't get any worse. Drink two shots of Grey Goose and check out these links.

links removed

Good Luck!!

Erik

Thank you, I fixed it!
I simply disconnected the battery connector and reconnected it, and everything magically started working again :victory:

Hi guys, I am having a similar problem. My device won't turn on unless the charger is connected. The battery display says 94% but if I unplug it, it immediately shuts off. It is like using a laptop with no battery connected, being powered by the charger only. I think it might be the same case as the OP here?

Well, looking at the photo tutorial and the video, I am still unsure about the exact location of the battery connector. Could you point it out more clearly for me? My tablet is out of warranty and I'd like to give it a shot at DIY, but taking the least possible risks.

Thanks!!

graphdarnell

Jan 25, 2012
Hi guys, I am having a similar problem. My device won't turn on unless the charger is connected. The battery display says 94% but if I unplug it, it immediately shuts off. It is like using a laptop with no battery connected, being powered by the charger only. I think it might be the same case as the OP here?

Well, looking at the photo tutorial and the video, I am still unsure about the exact location of the battery connector. Could you point it out more clearly for me? My tablet is out of warranty and I'd like to give it a shot at DIY, but taking the least possible risks.

Thanks!!

It's located underneath the copper shield. You need to lift it off to see. The connector is visible in plain sight. Just follow the wires coming out of the battery. But if you're still under warranty and don't want to break the seal, you can resort to Asus customer service.

Reactions: rmvieira

rmvieira

Apr 19, 2013
It's located underneath the copper shield. You need to lift it off to see. The connector is visible in plain sight. Just follow the wires coming out of the battery. But if you're still under warranty and don't want to break the seal, you can resort to Asus customer service.

Thanks, I will take a look at it tonight as it is just outside the warranty period :(
Hopefully this will solve the problem. I will post back when I try.

rmvieira

Apr 19, 2013

Well I tried disconnecting and re-connecting the battery connector, but it didn't work. To make things worth, the touch screen is no longer working. I am getting desperate... Can you point me in the right direction for, at least, getting the screen to work again?

graphdarnell

Jan 25, 2012
Well I tried disconnecting and re-connecting the battery connector, but it didn't work. To make things worth, the touch screen is no longer working. I am getting desperate... Can you point me in the right direction for, at least, getting the screen to work again?

Well, don't panic just yet. Try to remember if you'd done anything (flashing, loading or playing around with software) or anything had happened (tab drop etc...) before the tab started acting up. AFAIK, the TS board doesn't fail that often, but is fragile and thus prone to physical damage, especially the connectors and cables. The least movement in the wrong direction would wreck it. Pushing the cables in at the wrong angle would bend the pins beyond repair, to give you an idea. And you should've disconnected the battery or turned the service mode switch off before even touching anything.

At this point, my guess is either the battery is dead (not charging)*, or some weird software is screwing up the reading. Apparently, the main circuitry is intact since you can turn the tab on with the charger attached. If you can access recovery, and assuming you have CWM (TWRP requires touch), you can try wiping the battery stats.

Regarding the touch screen, there are a few possibilities. Check the surface of the mainboard if there's anything that's burned. Check the cables to make sure you did not displace any of them while pulling or pushing the battery connector. If you reconnect the cable or boards make they are seated correctly. Don't pull on the amber ribbons coming out of the digitizer. Last time I checked, the green part pasted to the face of the touchscreen can detach with the force you use to peel a protective screen off your tab. I kid you not. Above all, do not force a cable in, do not snap them in. They should slide in easy if you do it at the right angle. If nothing is damaged, I wouldn't worry too much about it now.

If you have access to a keyboard, you can go into the /etc/firmware/touch/ folder to see what's in there. This only shows the correct info if you're on stock rom. Then note the model of the touchscreen printed on the white sticker on the ribbons.

Again, turn the service switch off first.

* not charging could be caused by the battery itself or the chip controlling it on the mainboard. But we want to examine the obvious first.

Aloisis

Nov 6, 2015
wow this trend really old.
...just rediscovered my old asus transformer n upgraded it android 7 and gave it to my niece...
lonq story short she dropped it. and now the device dead. I opened it and reconnected the battery and still the screen looks dead.
when I connect it to the laptop, windows detects it and even shows it's charging
... did I miss something or? everything looked connected when I opened it
Screenshot 2021-07-25 205848.png
Screenshot 2021-07-25 201255.png
Screenshot 2021-07-25 205814.png

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Disassembling+Asus+tf300+Tablet/11794/1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_JRLd7lPv8

Good Luck!!

Erik

WHAT I FOUND OUT:
    I have no warranty.

Thanks!!