[Q] [HELP REQUEST] E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/command

dysolv

Aug 8, 2011
North Carolina
Looks like I have run into the exact same issue. I guess no one ever came up with a resolution?

One thing that I have noticed is that occasionally the Baseband shows up as Unknown instead of showing what it actually is. Another that is odd is that sometimes when trying to reboot the bootloader my screen slowly fades to a bright pink color.

Last edited:

optik678

Jan 27, 2011
Wind Gap, PA
Alright guys, I ran into this same issue on my Nexus 7 (2013). I tried a few tools to factory restore and they were failing and I was getting the same error messages in the custom recoveries that we see here. I looked at the .bat files used for these recoveries and noticed that it was always hanging on the system partition but that the other ones (like userdata and cache) hadn't been flashed yet, so I figured that their FAT (or equivalent) wasn't being created correctly. So here is how I fixed it:

I extracted the .img files out of the factory image and then, using the appropriate fastboot commands, I flashed userdata first, then cache, then boot, THEN system, then my custom recovery (TWRP in this case). It worked!! Hopefully this will help someone else out.

---------- Post added at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

Alright guys, I ran into this same issue on my Nexus 7 (2013). I tried a few tools to factory restore and they were failing and I was getting the same error messages in the custom recoveries that we see here. I looked at the .bat files used for these recoveries and noticed that it was always hanging on the system partition but that the other ones (like userdata and cache) hadn't been flashed yet, so I figured that their FAT (or equivalent) wasn't being created correctly. So here is how I fixed it:

I extracted the .img files out of the factory image and then, using the appropriate fastboot commands, I flashed userdata first, then cache, then boot, THEN system, then my custom recovery (TWRP in this case). It worked!! Hopefully this will help someone else out.
So, that got it out of whatever weird loop was preventing the toolkit from flashing the /system partition. When I booted back up, I only had 16GB available out of my 32GB. My next step was to go back to the toolkit and get it to flash again. I guess the order that the partitions are flashed does matter, for some reason. The main problem I think we are experiencing is that it gets stuck on one particular partition during the flash process. The method I tried appears to get it 'un-stuck.'

Enjoy!

karthiknr

Jan 1, 2012

I have some questions regarding this.
The userdata is nothing but the /data partition itself right?
And the boot image is the boot.img found inside the ROMs?

AreYare91

Dec 1, 2011
I hope i'm posting this in the right section but I'm having a major problem. After draining the battery on my Gnex, I brought it home and put it on the charger. It came up with the battery charging symbol for awhile then when it booted it showed the Google splash screen for about a minute. Then rebooted, showed the google image again and went into CWM Recovery with the following message.

E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/command
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log

When I tried to wipe data and cache and factory reset it comes up saying it's completed but then says the same error message as above underneath it.

I've tried full factory reset with the GNex toolkit and still nothing.

I also can't mount the cache in CWM Recovery, it just says Error mounting /cache!

I'm at a loss at this point. I hope someone knows what to do. It seems that if I can get into fastboot and CWM Recovery there should be a way out but I can't find one. Thanks in advance for any advice you guys have.

-Nate

I have found the solution..SERIOUSLY!!!!!

just using ODIN because this failure detect no OS in your gnex..that is why u cant flash via CWM/TWRP...
just use ODIN...make sure odin detect your phone...if dont,just download the kies..

have a try first..:))))