[Q] Help! Vol - button broken & stuck in bootloop

Search This thread

_david_94

Feb 22, 2010
Varese, Italy
The Volume- button has been broken on my Desire HD for ages, but this has never been a major issue until today: I got stuck in a bootloop and I don't know how to get into recovery mode!
Please does anyone have any suggestions either on how to get the vol- key to work or on alternative ways to get to recovery? I tried "adb reboot recovery" in cmd.exe but I get error: device not found.
I am worried my phone is broken and I can't afford a new one, so I would be infinitely grateful if someone could give me a hand! :eek: :eek:

EDIT: I managed to temporarily fix the issue by pulling off the volume rocker and strongly pushing on the button underneath with a pin, but I would still like to know if there is a way to change the key combo that allows to boot into recovery (as my temporary fix might not work next time).

Last edited:

willm98G97B

Feb 21, 2012
In short yes, I encountered this during a re flash where it said, menu or back disabled.

There is a way just can't recall what I read on here about an alternate button setup.

Running cmw for recovery + version?

--willm

Sent from my Inspire 4G using XDA Premium HD app

rootntootn

Dec 28, 2011
If the physical button on the ribbon cable is still good...take out your battery, remove the s/n etc sticker carefully-all the way, you'll see a ribbon cable under it about 1/4 inches wide leading to the vol button-use a small plastic twezzer or the like and gently lift the cable and volumn button strip up and out of the slot-it is not fixed in place. Now you can put your battery back in and use the vol buttons with your fingernail. Awkward but for a one time fix in an emergency-it will work. When fixed put it all back--maybe once out you will see the real issue with your volumn not working. Maybe the strip got out of it's position some way.. Of course if the physical buttons are damaged or the ribbon cable is ripped, this will not work.

jeanal

Mar 2, 2012
Hello,
I didn' use the vol buttom in my revocery, install 4ext revocery and than you can with a spedified application start in recocery mod (rom manager for exemple).

mobilizedport

Jan 27, 2013
If the physical button on the ribbon cable is still good...take out your battery, remove the s/n etc sticker carefully-all the way, you'll see a ribbon cable under it about 1/4 inches wide leading to the vol button-use a small plastic twezzer or the like and gently lift the cable and volumn button strip up and out of the slot-it is not fixed in place. Now you can put your battery back in and use the vol buttons with your fingernail. Awkward but for a one time fix in an emergency-it will work. When fixed put it all back--maybe once out you will see the real issue with your volumn not working. Maybe the strip got out of it's position some way.. Of course if the physical buttons are damaged or the ribbon cable is ripped, this will not work.

This worked for me when I had a similar issue. Got it repaired though as I was under warranty (had to convince the repair folks that it had stock though :D)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.