[Q] help with HP Slate 21: rolling back update or changing portrait mode

Search This thread

carrot34

May 22, 2007
Hi! I'm a conductor who bought an HP Slate 21-k100 looking to use it for reading/marking musical scores in performance. This requires using the device in portrait mode. The device has no accelerometer and is only meant to be used in landscape mode, but I was initially able to force it into portrait mode using FaMe IT's Ultimate Rotation Control app. However, HP just pushed a software update which changed how it handles portrait mode to what you see here, which isn't useful for me:

IMG_20131113_085014.jpg

So, I need to either a) change how the system thinks about portrait mode or b) roll back the software update. I've no clue how to do a), but if I had the original firmware, I think I could do b): I'm able to book into "Android system recovery," which gives me an option to "apply update from ADB" or to "Update/Recover from SD Card." But I don't see the original firmware available anywhere.

Can anyone help with either of these?

Thanks!
Alan

carrot34

May 22, 2007
I have the same problem and no idea about one solution which can solve that... :eek:

Yeah, I returned mine. HP support was awful: the person I spoke with had me do lots of things which I knew wouldn't fix the problem (including a factory reset) and then promised someone would get back to me within two days. But it's been over two weeks now and no one ever did.