[Q] Hisense Sero 7 Pro Rooting

tharien

Mar 3, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
I'm a bit confused here. I have the SDK installed, but adb_usb.ini isn't there. Also, are we to remove any and all drivers and simply have the device show up as "Other Devices-->M470BSA"?
You may need to add the drivers as a component to the SDK instal, it should show up at that point..

http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html

Also, it will show up as ! in other devices until you edit the adb_usb.ini.

Reactions: RemmyLee

webdroidmt

Dec 20, 2011
NJ
How to obtain root

- Thank you to all the respective devs that made the tools used here

This assume's you have installed the Android SDK and have put your device in USB debug mode.

1. Plug in the device and let Windows fail to find a driver - if it finds one take note and uninstall the device and driver then start again
  2. Go to C:\Users\<User>\.android\ and open adb_usb.ini
  3. Add 0x109b in the list accordingly (if there are devices listed already it is ok, just list it last)
  4. Test connectivity to the device through ADB
  5. Download Motochop and run the included batch file - nhshah7

PLEASE NOTE
I'm looking for a way restore my recovery partition as I killed it working on this. I dont want to have to hunt a new tablet down here :(

Also - Not responsible for your defunct results
Thanks for sticking with this, sorry to hear about the recovery partition. Hopefully, you get it squared away, we need someone to compile a proper CWM or TWRP for the device.

Mike T

Last edited:
Reactions: tharien

tharien

Mar 3, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
Thanks for sticking with this, sorry to hear about the recovery partition. Hopefully, you get it squared away, we need someone to compile a proper CWM or TWRP for the device.

Mike T
Yeah.. I'm at square one with understanding the recovery partition structure. I thought if I could look at the CWM i flashed and reconfigure it I could make progress that way. Alas, I have to learn how to mount the img file etc.. and I'm at a loss for time right now.

I can still get into Android and all the partitions appear intact, just still hangs when booting to recovery.

Down, but not out!

RemmyLee

May 18, 2013
You may need to add the drivers as a component to the SDK instal, it should show up at that point..

Also, it will show up as ! in other devices until you edit the adb_usb.ini.
Thank you very much for the help. Worked like a charm. If there is any way I can help you out, let me know. You've made my day.

Reactions: tharien

webdroidmt

Dec 20, 2011
NJ
Yeah.. I'm at square one with understanding the recovery partition structure. I thought if I could look at the CWM i flashed and reconfigure it I could make progress that way. Alas, I have to learn how to mount the img file etc.. and I'm at a loss for time right now.

I can still get into Android and all the partitions appear intact, just still hangs when booting to recovery.

Down, but not out!
Yep! This is where we need to attract new users and find someone capable of taking this to the next step. Get root, get recovery and things start to flow. Of course it would be great if we can get dumps of the stock rom/recovery images.

Hey, this device just got released, I'm confident we'll see some great progress in a bit. Thanks again for getting the ball rolling.
@RemmyLee

Since you are the threadstarter, I clicked you a thanks.

Mike T

Last edited:

xene97

May 17, 2010
Can't boot to recovery

Thanks to everyone for their work on getting my new toy rooted on Day 1!

Can someone help me out? I can't boot into recovery. I tried holding down Power & Vol Dn simultaneously, Vol Dn and then Power. Nothing works. Am I missing something?

tharien

Mar 3, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
Thanks to everyone for their work on getting my new toy rooted on Day 1!

Can someone help me out? I can't boot into recovery. I tried holding down Power & Vol Dn simultaneously, Vol Dn and then Power. Nothing works. Am I missing something?
You shouldn't need to boot into recovery, just make sure you have debug mode enabled. (tap the version number 7 times in the "About" screen under settings in Android).

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

Yep! This is where we need to attract new users and find someone capable of taking this to the next step. Get root, get recovery and things start to flow. Of course it would be great if we can get dumps of the stock rom/recovery images.

Hey, this device just got released, I'm confident we'll see some great progress in a bit. Thanks again for getting the ball rolling.
@RemmyLee

Mike T
With this being a pretty die-cut knock off of the Nexus 7 for $100 less, I'm sure this will be popular so long as supplies last.

There was a void on this device, then there was @RemmyLee to get xda in the fold. Thanks Given!

xene97

May 17, 2010
You shouldn't need to boot into recovery, just make sure you have debug mode enabled. (tap the version number 7 times in the "About" screen under settings in Android).
Sorry. Was trying to follow the steps listed here
1: Install this driver pack
2: Boot to Recovery - Power + Vol (-)
3: Select "Update from ADB"
4: Launch ADB - Device Found - "id hash" sideload
- Windows now sees the device as an Android Phone -> Google Galaxy Nexus ADB Interface
This is a dead end - error on anything but "adb sideload <filename>" - apk push succeed - installation failed

Fastboot attempt in a new reply.
Guess I don't have to do that.

ATGAdmin

Feb 25, 2012
Western NY State
www.nyspctech.com
For those that are having driver issues, download the PDANet drivers HERE, they worked like a charm for me.
I did get an error near the end of install, then it said uninstalling, but the drivers stuck and worked ;)

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

@RemmyLee

Mike T
I'm doing a system pull right now before I give the device back to my neighbor.
I'll zip it up and upload it, as I'm sure someone will delete essential files, then not be able to update when one comes along....it always happens with new devices ;)

tharien

Mar 3, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
For those that are having driver issues, download the PDANet drivers HERE, they worked like a charm for me.
I did get an error near the end of install, then it said uninstalling, but the drivers stuck and worked ;)

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

I'm doing a system pull right now before I give the device back to my neighbor.
I'll zip it up and upload it, as I'm sure someone will delete essential files, then not be able to update when one comes along....it always happens with new devices ;)
That would be swell. I know someone that would personally benefit from such a gesture :eek:

NoModz

May 25, 2013
I picked one up a couple of days ago, and ran into the adb detection issues described above.

I was able to get adb to detect my tablet fairly easily through updating the adb_usb.ini file located in the ~/.android/ directory.
An easy way to make sure your future devices are added (if they are new to the market, or less popular devices which aren't already included by default) is to use the file maintained by apkudo, which has the USB vendor id "for every vendor on the planet." The command below will copy their latest version of the file into the appropriate location on your linux box.

$ curl -L raw.github.com/apkudo/adbusbini/master/adb_usb.ini --O ~/.android/adb_usb.ini

You can obtain the vendor id through the command:
$ lsusb

Then you can easily check whether your device is included through:
$ cat ~/.android/adb_usb.ini | grep [VID obtained above]

So, I've been able to access the stock recovery, adb, and fastboot, as well as install SU. However, I'm getting a strange error when I issue:
$ fastboot oem unlock

The terminal returns:
FAILED (remote: ()
finished. total time: 0.002s

No error message, just a blank return. Other fastboot commands will work, but I'm reticent to install a custom recovery until I understand why this is happening.

If no one else has done it, I'll happily upload a image of the stock recovery, and system partition to help with unbricking devices. Since we don't know how many firmware versions exist yet, the more info we have the better right now. Does anyone have any insight into the the blank error message from fastboot? Anyone able to get the bootloader unlocked yet?

I know this looks to be a clone of the Nexus 7, but the bootloader appears to be different. I'm not sure what else is different under the hood. I thought about building a custom recovery from the stock image, until we get a CWM or TWRP recovery for our device. Based on the build quality, the popularity of the Nexus line, and the crazy-low price tag, I don't think it will be long before we have a lot of developers working on this project. But, before we get there, anybody able to offer suggestions on that bootloader?

Oh, and for the poster above who can't access the recovery partition, once you update your .android/adb_usb.ini file, you should be able to access the stock recovery through:
$ adb reboot recovery

NoModz

May 25, 2013
This is my first post, so I can't insert url links, but for the curl command to work, you need to modify the line below with the http-prefix , just before the raw.github, because it is a url link. you can verify through apkudo first to be sure, or just google it.

$ curl -L raw.github.com/apkudo/adbusbini/master/adb_usb.ini --O ~/.android/adb_usb.ini

Reactions: ATGAdmin

ATGAdmin

Feb 25, 2012
Western NY State
www.nyspctech.com
This is my first post, so I can't insert url links, but for the curl command to work, you need to modify the line below with the http-prefix , just before the raw.github, because it is a url link. you can verify through apkudo first to be sure, or just google it.

thanks for the heads up. I pulled it and posted the full adb_usb.ini in the attachments ;)

Attachments