[Q] Hisense Sero 7 Pro Rooting

Search This thread
Reactions: RemmyLee

webdroidmt

Dec 20, 2011
NJ
How to obtain root

- Thank you to all the respective devs that made the tools used here

This assume's you have installed the Android SDK and have put your device in USB debug mode.

1. Plug in the device and let Windows fail to find a driver - if it finds one take note and uninstall the device and driver then start again
  2. Go to C:\Users\<User>\.android\ and open adb_usb.ini
  3. Add 0x109b in the list accordingly (if there are devices listed already it is ok, just list it last)
  4. Test connectivity to the device through ADB
  5. Download Motochop and run the included batch file - nhshah7

PLEASE NOTE
I'm looking for a way restore my recovery partition as I killed it working on this. I dont want to have to hunt a new tablet down here :(

Also - Not responsible for your defunct results

Thanks for sticking with this, sorry to hear about the recovery partition. Hopefully, you get it squared away, we need someone to compile a proper CWM or TWRP for the device.

Mike T

Last edited:
Reactions: tharien
Thanks for sticking with this, sorry to hear about the recovery partition. Hopefully, you get it squared away, we need someone to compile a proper CWM or TWRP for the device.

Mike T

Yeah.. I'm at square one with understanding the recovery partition structure. I thought if I could look at the CWM i flashed and reconfigure it I could make progress that way. Alas, I have to learn how to mount the img file etc.. and I'm at a loss for time right now.

I can still get into Android and all the partitions appear intact, just still hangs when booting to recovery.

Down, but not out!

RemmyLee

May 18, 2013
You may need to add the drivers as a component to the SDK instal, it should show up at that point..

Also, it will show up as ! in other devices until you edit the adb_usb.ini.

Thank you very much for the help. Worked like a charm. If there is any way I can help you out, let me know. You've made my day.

Reactions: tharien

Spider210

Sep 13, 2010
Anyway to get Google wallet to work now that it is rooted?

Sent from my M470BSA using Tapatalk HD

webdroidmt

Dec 20, 2011
NJ
Yeah.. I'm at square one with understanding the recovery partition structure. I thought if I could look at the CWM i flashed and reconfigure it I could make progress that way. Alas, I have to learn how to mount the img file etc.. and I'm at a loss for time right now.

I can still get into Android and all the partitions appear intact, just still hangs when booting to recovery.

Down, but not out!

Yep! This is where we need to attract new users and find someone capable of taking this to the next step. Get root, get recovery and things start to flow. Of course it would be great if we can get dumps of the stock rom/recovery images.

Hey, this device just got released, I'm confident we'll see some great progress in a bit. Thanks again for getting the ball rolling.
@RemmyLee

Since you are the threadstarter, I clicked you a thanks.

Mike T

Last edited:

xene97

May 17, 2010
Can't boot to recovery

Thanks to everyone for their work on getting my new toy rooted on Day 1!

Can someone help me out? I can't boot into recovery. I tried holding down Power & Vol Dn simultaneously, Vol Dn and then Power. Nothing works. Am I missing something?

Thanks to everyone for their work on getting my new toy rooted on Day 1!

Can someone help me out? I can't boot into recovery. I tried holding down Power & Vol Dn simultaneously, Vol Dn and then Power. Nothing works. Am I missing something?

You shouldn't need to boot into recovery, just make sure you have debug mode enabled. (tap the version number 7 times in the "About" screen under settings in Android).

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

Yep! This is where we need to attract new users and find someone capable of taking this to the next step. Get root, get recovery and things start to flow. Of course it would be great if we can get dumps of the stock rom/recovery images.

Hey, this device just got released, I'm confident we'll see some great progress in a bit. Thanks again for getting the ball rolling.
@RemmyLee

Mike T

With this being a pretty die-cut knock off of the Nexus 7 for $100 less, I'm sure this will be popular so long as supplies last.

There was a void on this device, then there was @RemmyLee to get xda in the fold. Thanks Given!

xene97

May 17, 2010
You shouldn't need to boot into recovery, just make sure you have debug mode enabled. (tap the version number 7 times in the "About" screen under settings in Android).

Sorry. Was trying to follow the steps listed here
1: Install this driver pack
2: Boot to Recovery - Power + Vol (-)
3: Select "Update from ADB"
4: Launch ADB - Device Found - "id hash" sideload
- Windows now sees the device as an Android Phone -> Google Galaxy Nexus ADB Interface
This is a dead end - error on anything but "adb sideload <filename>" - apk push succeed - installation failed

Fastboot attempt in a new reply.

Guess I don't have to do that.

ATGAdmin

Feb 25, 2012
Western NY State
www.nyspctech.com
For those that are having driver issues, download the PDANet drivers HERE, they worked like a charm for me.
I did get an error near the end of install, then it said uninstalling, but the drivers stuck and worked ;)

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

@RemmyLee

Mike T

I'm doing a system pull right now before I give the device back to my neighbor.
I'll zip it up and upload it, as I'm sure someone will delete essential files, then not be able to update when one comes along....it always happens with new devices ;)

For those that are having driver issues, download the PDANet drivers HERE, they worked like a charm for me.
I did get an error near the end of install, then it said uninstalling, but the drivers stuck and worked ;)

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

I'm doing a system pull right now before I give the device back to my neighbor.
I'll zip it up and upload it, as I'm sure someone will delete essential files, then not be able to update when one comes along....it always happens with new devices ;)

That would be swell. I know someone that would personally benefit from such a gesture :eek:

NoModz

May 25, 2013
I picked one up a couple of days ago, and ran into the adb detection issues described above.

I was able to get adb to detect my tablet fairly easily through updating the adb_usb.ini file located in the ~/.android/ directory.
An easy way to make sure your future devices are added (if they are new to the market, or less popular devices which aren't already included by default) is to use the file maintained by apkudo, which has the USB vendor id "for every vendor on the planet." The command below will copy their latest version of the file into the appropriate location on your linux box.

$ curl -L raw.github.com/apkudo/adbusbini/master/adb_usb.ini --O ~/.android/adb_usb.ini

You can obtain the vendor id through the command:
$ lsusb

Then you can easily check whether your device is included through:
$ cat ~/.android/adb_usb.ini | grep [VID obtained above]

So, I've been able to access the stock recovery, adb, and fastboot, as well as install SU. However, I'm getting a strange error when I issue:
$ fastboot oem unlock

The terminal returns:
FAILED (remote: ()
finished. total time: 0.002s

No error message, just a blank return. Other fastboot commands will work, but I'm reticent to install a custom recovery until I understand why this is happening.

If no one else has done it, I'll happily upload a image of the stock recovery, and system partition to help with unbricking devices. Since we don't know how many firmware versions exist yet, the more info we have the better right now. Does anyone have any insight into the the blank error message from fastboot? Anyone able to get the bootloader unlocked yet?

I know this looks to be a clone of the Nexus 7, but the bootloader appears to be different. I'm not sure what else is different under the hood. I thought about building a custom recovery from the stock image, until we get a CWM or TWRP recovery for our device. Based on the build quality, the popularity of the Nexus line, and the crazy-low price tag, I don't think it will be long before we have a lot of developers working on this project. But, before we get there, anybody able to offer suggestions on that bootloader?

Oh, and for the poster above who can't access the recovery partition, once you update your .android/adb_usb.ini file, you should be able to access the stock recovery through:
$ adb reboot recovery

NoModz

May 25, 2013
This is my first post, so I can't insert url links, but for the curl command to work, you need to modify the line below with the http-prefix , just before the raw.github, because it is a url link. you can verify through apkudo first to be sure, or just google it.

$ curl -L raw.github.com/apkudo/adbusbini/master/adb_usb.ini --O ~/.android/adb_usb.ini

Reactions: ATGAdmin

jmandawg

Dec 10, 2009
Can anyone comment on battery life on the pro compared to the nexus 7? I know the battery is slightly smaller in the pro.

Spider210

Sep 13, 2010
Can anyone comment on battery life on the pro compared to the nexus 7? I know the battery is slightly smaller in the pro.

I can say I've been using it for a lot of stuff installing apps and max brightness

uploadfromtaptalk1369443913862.jpg

Sent from my M470BSA using Tapatalk HD

ATGAdmin

Feb 25, 2012
Western NY State
www.nyspctech.com
This is my first post, so I can't insert url links, but for the curl command to work, you need to modify the line below with the http-prefix , just before the raw.github, because it is a url link. you can verify through apkudo first to be sure, or just google it.

thanks for the heads up. I pulled it and posted the full adb_usb.ini in the attachments ;)

Attachments

• adb_usb.ini.rar
    5.1 KB · Views: 225

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Automatic Root, Fully functional ClockWorkMod image, and plethora of other awesome stuff here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2297246
    Thank you xboxexpert for all your hard work!

Step 1. Plug the device in to your computer and uninstall any drivers that may load.

Step 2. Download and update the Android SDK, including the USB Driver or try the PDANet drivers.

Step 3. Add the following line to adb_usb.ini found in your user directory in the .android folder (e.g. C:\Users\YourName\.android\):
    Code:
    0x109b
    If the file does not exist, simply create it. This may require a reboot

Step 4. Load up ADB and check connectivity through the following command:
    Code:
    adb devices

Step 5. If everything reported correctly in the previous step, run Motochop.

Root directions
    Thanks go out to tharien and ATGAdmin for figuring it out!

clockworkmod image - be sure to read the thread!
    Thanks go out to pacman366!

The First Custom Rom!
    by ATGAdmin
    Hisense Sero 7 Odexed, Themed, Inverted ROM built off Stock System Dump

Serolicious
    Hisense Sero 7 Odexed, Themed, Inverted ROM built off Stock System Dump
    I know there are a lot of flashaholics that will be going through withdrawals without a ROM to flash, so I threw this together this morning for y'all.
    We now have 4 of these tablets in our neighborhood, two in our building alone. They're all running this ROM now with no problems, so it's safe to play with. If you're having problems, take your tab back to Wally's and get an iPad mini!
    I tried to get it as close as I could to my Nexalicious7 ROM for the Nexas 7 in the short time that I had.
    Remember to backup first.
    You don't take a dump without wiping your azz after, so don't flash a ROM without a complete wipe first!
    Install Instructions: (These instructions assume that you're already rooted, and have Clockwork Mod Recovery Installed from previous posts in the thread)
    Download Preparation.zip from attachments in this post.
    Download Serolicious From Link Below

Place both files on your External SD Card.
    Boot into Clockwork Mod Recovery
    Flash Preparation.zip FIRST!
    Flash Serolicious.zip
    Reboot!
    As always, I'm not responsible for you borking your tabs out of ignorance, blah, blah!
    Download Serolicious

Off to the Drive-Ins! ;)
    Video Tutorial How to Flash
    64GB microsdxc

I have a class 10 Sandisk 64GB microsdxc card in my sero 7 pro. It is not formatted as exFat since it came from a GS3 running a custom ROM.
    So I wanted to provide something back to the thread since everyone was very helpful. I decided to write a newb's guide in hopes that it helps someone else. If anyone feels that this is incomplete or information is wrong, please let me know. I will continue to monitor the thread for information and ask questions where I get confused.

How to root your Hisense Sero 7 Pro: A Newbs Perspective

I just want to provide some insight on myself before I go and write this. I've not done much rooting when it comes to android. I've always been kind of paranoid that my phone company will send me some random cease and desist order or something, so I've not done much of it. When the original android was released, I rooted it. I had it rooted for a few weeks before flashing it back to factory settings, so my skills in root now are kind of minor and i'd consider myself a newb. The only experience I have with what's listed here is ClockWorkMod.

I had bought this tablet on a whim. I was waiting for the "Nexus 7 2.0" to be announced, but was disappointed when it was not. I have been wanting another tablet, since my TF201 has terrible WiFi. I've always been interested in rooting an android, but felt they were rather expensive and was turned off by the idea of bricking it by accident. This one was cheap enough that I didn't mind if I accidentally borked it. I bought mine on 5/21 and have been following this thread since I've bought it. It wasn't till it kicked up with the rooting that I got involved with questions.

Anyways on to my perspective.

-note- I am in no way responsible for you borking your device. This is a newb's perspective. I got it to work following the directions. If you don't feel comfortable with my guide, that's fine. I don't blame you. But if you can leave with anything it's that I followed the directions in the thread and got it to work.

1. Thanks - I know you're looking for a guide, but I need to thank people first. Thanks to RemmyLee for starting the thread. Thank you to tharien for discovering the means to make the root work. Thanks to pacman for supplying the clockworkmod image. Thanks to ATGAdmin for supplying "Serolicious" and so much help with rooting/flashing. and Thanks to webdroidmt for helping me in the thread as well.

If you find this tutorial helpful, take a moment to thank the others who guided me through this!!!
    - RemmyLee's OP Post - http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=41550818
    - tharien's rooting directions - http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=41803251&postcount=37
    - pacman's clockworkmod image - http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=41811410&postcount=74
    - ATGAdmins Serolicious custom Rom - http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=41836495&postcount=114

2. List of stuff you'll need
    • Android SDK with USB driver support. Also I would suggest trying the PDANet drivers.
    • adb_usb.ini. If you have this file you just need to add "0x109b" at the bottom and everything should be fine. If you do not have this file, I suggest downloading the file supplied by ATGAdmin on post #59 of the [Q] Hisense Sero 7 Pro Rooting thread. (I personally used the adb_usb.ini supplied)
    • some common knowledge of how to use command prompt.
    • optional Flashing Custom Rom - I'm using Serolicious, provided by ATGAdmin. If you want to use this custom rom it can be found on Post #114 of the [Q] Hisense Sero 7 Pro Rooting thread.

4. Instructions for Rooting

I'll be following the instructions provided from tharien and ATGAdmin.

Pre-Rooting

You're going to need to have Android SDK ready to be used. I suggest putting in the C:\ drive. A majority of the documents I have read over the past few days have listed the SDK being there. Mine sits at "C:\Android\SDK". Once that's installed you'll want to execute the SDK Manager.exe and go to Extras and click on the check box next to "Google USB Driver." From there click on Install packages.

-alternatively-

You can also install the PDANet drivers. BUT YOU WILL NEED ANDROID SDK REGARDLESS
    Step 1: Plug the device in. Simple enough. Hopefully your driver is not recognized. If it is, you'll have to uninstall the device and try again.

What am I looking for as a newb in this step? First thing I noticed is that my computer recognized it as a mobile device. This had me worried that something was up. This is not the question. What you're looking for is a device in "Other Devices" of Device Manager. (Search Device Manager in windows 7 start). If you see M470BSA with a little yellow exclamation mark under "other devices", you're good.

An idea of what mine looked like:
    Code:
    Network Adapters
    Other Devices
        - (!) Unknown Device
        - (!) M470BSA 
    Portable Devices

Step 2: Install Android SDK & USB Drivers (Try PDAnet Drivers as well)

What am I looking for as a newb in this step? Well what you're looking for is the driver for the tablet to be installed. You're going to go back into Device Manager and hopefully it will be recognized as Android Composite ADB Interface. It should follow under "Android Device" in the Device Manager.

An idea of what mine looked like:
    Code:
    Android Device
        - Android Composite ADB Interface (This is the tablet)
    Computer
    Disk drives

Step 3: Go to C:\Users\<User>\.android\ and copy the adb_usb.ini (file supplied by ATGAdmin) in this directory. If you already have one, overwrite it.

What am I looking for as a newb in this step? Well you're looking for the file. I panicked when I didn't find the file. I read through the thread and found that ATGAdmin had supplied one. I had originally found one and renamed it adb_usb..ini... So I was still panicking, lol. So yea I used ATGAdmin's adb_usb.ini and it worked for me in the end.

Reboot your computer and tablet.

Step 4: Test connectivity to the device through ADB.

What am I looking for as a newb in this step? This is where basic command prompt knowledge will come in handy. BUT, you don't really need it. I did it the long way before I found a nifty trick. Anyways, you did download Android APK and USB utilities/PDANet Drivers right?

From here go into your Android SDK folder, specifically /sdk/platform-tools/. In that window, hold shift and right click in the window. Click Open command window here. This will bring up command prompt. Type the following into command prompt.
    Code:
    adb devices
    It should say "List of devices attached." If nothing shows up under that, do not worry. Restart your computer and try again. Hopefully it will show up this time with a bunch of numbers and letters followed by "device" at the end.

-note- If nothing shows up after the restart, there's a possibility you may have messed up one of the steps. Double check the steps, try again, restart, try again. If that doesn't work, well you're SOL with me and will have to consult with an expert. Sorry.

Step 5: Download Motochop and run the included batch file. -nhshah7

What am I looking for as a newb in this step? Nothing. Following the directions provided in the link. Seriously, it's not that hard.

Step 6: Enjoy being rooted.: victory:

Optional 5: Flashing your Serolicious to your Device
    This is where my knowledge is kind of hazy, and you might want to follow my instructions with a grain of salt. I highly suggest you sift through the [Q] Hisense Sero 7 Pro Rooting thread for instructions from the actual tech smart people lol.

So onto my perspective and what I did.

1: Download an APP that will allow you access to terminal. I used ROM Toolbox for this. Another suggested on is Terminal Emulator by Jack Palevich.

2: Download the recovery.img supplied by pacman on the [Q] Hisense Sero 7 Pro Rooting thread and put it in your internal sdcard.

3: Download Serolicious.zip, supplied by ATGAdmin on post #114 of the [Q] Hisense Sero 7 Pro Rooting thread, to your external SDcard.

4: Go to your terminal and do the following (You are not actually typing the $ and #. The code is just how it will look when you type it all out):

Code:
    $ su
    # dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5
    # reboot recovery

5: Your android should now be rebooting into custom recovery.

6: You will be presented with a menu. The menu scrolling is controlled with the volume buttons and selections with the power button. Following the steps provide by ATGAdmin you'll want to do the following:

First and Most important... BACK UP YOUR STUFF! Go down to backup and restore and click backup. This will backup your current image as far as I know.
    webdroidmt said:
    One other thing. After getting into recovery and making a nandroid backup, if you're cautious like me, you won't flash the new rom just yet. Although not likely, the nandroid you just made could be corrupt even though it completed, especially that it's going to an external SD card.

Being that this nandroid is the only one you currently have of your stock rom, I would reboot back into the system and inspect the nandroid with a file explorer to ensure that all 12 files are present. Then, I would reboot back into recovery, this is where Extended Power Menu comes in handy, as an alternative you can use Rom Manager, or just power off and use power button + volume down to again enter recovery.

At this point, I would actually test the nandroid using restore and reboot back into the system, making sure everything is ok. Once that's done, reboot back into recovery and proceed with the rom installation. I know this seems like extra work but again, it's your only backup and for a newbie, it could mean the difference between all good or frustration and having to bring it back to Walmart if still under the 15 day return window,

I've been flashing stuff for quite some time and I always like to err on the side of caution. One last thing, I would copy over the nandroid to your PC for safekeeping in case something happens to your SD card. It's a good practice to copy over nandroids as you go along, similar to periodically backing up your PC.
    Thanks for the tip webdroidmt!
    This is the point of no return in my eyes. If you don't feel confident doing this, I suggest stopping and just rebooting. If you do feel confident, continue.

After the backup go to the front menu.
    On the current menu
    - Wipe Data/Factory Reset
    - Wipe Cache Partition
    On the advanced menu
    -Wipe Dalvik Cache

Then Flash the ROM by going to Install zip from sdcard, choose zip from SDcard, and selection Serolicious.zip.

Let the android do its thing. It'll look like a bunch of technical garble and kind of confusing. But it should be working. When it restarts, you'll be greeted with the Hisense logo, followed by a X. This shows that the ROM flashing did work. You'll have to do all the introduction stuff as when you first started up the tablet.

If you have any problems along the way, remember that you have made a backup of your drive in the beginning of this tutorial.

If you found this tutorial helpful, take a moment to thank the others who guided me through this!!!
    - RemmyLee's OP Post - http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=41550818
    - tharien's rooting directions - http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=41803251&postcount=37
    - pacman's clockworkmod image - http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=41811410&postcount=74
    - ATGAdmins Serolicious custom Rom - http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=41836495&postcount=114
    How to obtain root

- Thank you to all the respective devs that made the tools used here

This assume's you have installed the Android SDK (as well as the USB Driver modules through the SDK) and have put your device in USB debug mode.

1. Plug in the device and let Windows fail to find a driver - if it finds one take note and uninstall the device and driver then start again
    2. Go to C:\Users\<User>\.android\ and open adb_usb.ini
    3. Add 0x109b in the list accordingly (if there are devices listed already it is ok, just list it last)
    4. Test connectivity to the device through ADB
    5. Download Motochop and run the included batch file - nhshah7

PLEASE NOTE
    I'm looking for a way restore my recovery partition as I killed it working on this. I dont want to have to hunt a new tablet down here :(

Also - Not responsible for your defunct results