• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] hot to open a .LGU-File

Search This thread

nordic09

May 4, 2006
hy cracks :)

I have a car radio with windows ce - manufacturer lg.
I would like to customize the firmware upgrade (change images....).
somebody has an idea how I can unpack the upgrade.LGU file and pack again later?
can´t find tools for this :(

thank you for your help

lost_things

Feb 28, 2014
voila !

somebody has an idea how I can unpack the upgrade.LGU file and pack again later?

thank you for your help

here you go - download attachment
it's a tool to convert lgu files to directory and vice versa

to be used in command line this way:
lgu2dir <path to lgu file> <path to folder where where the contents will be unpacked>
ex: lgu2dir upgrade.lgu root

Attachments

• lgu2dir.zip
    68.9 KB · Views: 12,600

nordic09

May 4, 2006

lgu2dir <path to lgu file> <path to folder where where the contents will be unpacked>

thank you - you are my hero
the tool works great
you know a way to convert the files back to a lgu-file too?

Xinav

Sep 7, 2014
changing only one file within the LGU without extracting anything is possible?

Hello guys, first thanks for the help with the file compression and decompression of the LGU, but I have a problem when compressing the file again made ​​a change in one of the firmware files and recompile the file is not accepted as update my device I believe it has something to do dir2lgu different from the original build program which makes it invalid on the device, so I wonder if there is any header possibilidede the only LGU that change a file without extract, because I need to unlock a device and only need need to change an exe within the LGU, is this possible? who developed these programs that kind of compression they use? I'm 3 months in search of a solution and nothing would be grateful for an answer that will help many people.

viberfm

Apr 19, 2015
need a new lgu2dir for a newer version of .lgu files

Hello guys,
seems like lg made a new version of the car radio with windows ce, and the new .lgu files can not be opened by the old tools.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 4,884
Reactions: moh2000g

tom!79

Jun 10, 2012
Florence
Same here, new version of lgu, cannot be opened, file signature (or magic number if u prefer) is now ULC2.
And the archive in the lgu container is no more RAR but a Zip tipe, as usual seen inside the file with the hex editor, i tried to cut out the archive but archive won't work i suspect that's somenthing like a byte shift or other kind of "protection".
I have spotted that at address from block 18 to 1B is stored that crc in reverse way.
But i'm not found the way to recover the internal archive.

@lost_things Did you have a new version? (If u are still around here, seems that these posts are the only 2 that you are ever made :D)
Thank you in advice.

@viberfm
Are you working with new medianav evolution firmware too?

Last edited:

lau.b

Feb 21, 2010
Warm thanks ! You made a really great job djeman !!
Works perfectly both for 'old' and 'new' files. Be careful to position appropriate 'content-name' and 'label' when recompressing, your car application may need it to work appropriately.

sala_test

Dec 12, 2006
Hi,
@djeman the new dir2lgu.exe, don't get any options, if you try to pass -l o -u, don't care it create always an lgu0 type, and -n and -p don't work at all, i hope u can fix it.
Thank you for you work anyway ;)

tom!79

Jun 10, 2012
Florence
I'm trying right now in win 7 and win 10, with -u option it crate a lgu0 file, with -n something, it show me the help like I have put something wrong, lgu2dir instead works fine.

@djeman

Tested now:

-u ulc2 format not work as you can see here

Code:
E:\testxda>dir2lgu.exe -u test test.lgu
creating C:\Temp\TFRC451.tmp
file test.txt crc 0
file C:\Temp\TFRC451.tmp crc 8bb6d8f8

E:\testxda>dir
 Il volume nell'unità E è Volume
 Numero di serie del volume: 7807-6F2B

Directory di E:\testxda

19/05/2016  16:37    <DIR>          .
19/05/2016  16:37    <DIR>          ..
19/05/2016  16:36           123.392 dir2lgu.exe
19/05/2016  16:36            96.256 lgu2dir.exe
19/05/2016  16:36    <DIR>          test
19/05/2016  16:37             1.152 test.lgu

E:\testxda>type test.lgu
LGU0      Ç         °ÏÂï        0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0   ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■  ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■  ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■  ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■                  ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■- u   ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■                                                                                                                                                                         d▀4DÐ%■ñ╠$‗<í×êÑÆRFyµ+UÊÜØrj½‗┬_8█wÌPG5c%\▄os0╦Ë·ZÉeÍ░:Llü└   │¤=W        Rar!»è╝Ý╝ìyRíù┴2NáÑ[¹z`L"µ█"NzDO┐ª┤ï\÷iå^¹Ï2e

and with -n don't do nothing like you can see here:

Code:
E:\testxda>dir2lgu.exe -n comment test test.lgu
Usage: dir2lgu [options] <content name> <in folder> <out lgu file>
 -n <name>      name label ("      " by default)
 -l             lgu0 format (default)
 -u             ulc2 format
 -p <m1|m2>     preset medianav 1 or 2

Last edited:

djeman

Mar 6, 2009
Arf ... I forget to protect the execution when one argument is missing ^^

Usage: dir2lgu [options] <content name> <in folder> <out lgu file>
-n <name> name label (" " by default)
-l lgu0 format (default)
-u ulc2 format
-p <m1|m2> preset medianav 1 or 2

In "dir2lgu.exe -u test test.lgu":
[options] = -u
<content name> = test
<in folder> = test.lgu
<out lgu file> =

And for "dir2lgu.exe -n comment test test.lgu" you have make the same mistake, one argument is missing :)

tom!79

Jun 10, 2012
Florence
Arf ... I forget to protect the execution when one argument is missing ^^

In "dir2lgu.exe -u test test.lgu":
[options] = -u
<content name> = test
<in folder> = test.lgu
<out lgu file> =

And for "dir2lgu.exe -n comment test test.lgu" you have make the same mistake, one argument is missing :)

Oh crap, I have confused the -n option with the <content name>, so to put the content name name i use -n :silly: Ok i made a big mistake, but i'm happy that i'm not the only one, seems that @sala_test had done the same mistake :D

Ok, so, to avoid other mistakes, what is the -n option "label"? And what is the difference to use -l and -u instead of -p m1 or m2?

Anyway i'm a dumbass :eek:, thank you for your work :D

djeman

Mar 6, 2009
'dir2lgu -p m1 <content name> <in folder> <out lgu file>' is equal to 'dir2lgu -l -n "*MEDIA-NAV*" <content name> <in folder> <out lgu file>'.
'dir2lgu -p m2 <content name> <in folder> <out lgu file>' is equal to 'dir2lgu -u -n "*MEDIA-NAV2*" <content name> <in folder> <out lgu file>'.

Do not use -p option with an another, it's just for rapid preset.

"content name" is the name of the content of your update, the name shows on the device in the update dialog.
"name label" ... it's a device label, this label is used by the update software, it's a protection to not flash a bad update. All devices do not use it.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New lgu tools available :)
    voila !

thank you for your help

thank you - you are my hero
    the tool works great
    you know a way to convert the files back to a lgu-file too?

yes, see the attachment

Usage: dir2lgu <content name> <in folder> <out lgu file>
    need a new lgu2dir for a newer version of .lgu files

Hello guys,
    seems like lg made a new version of the car radio with windows ce, and the new .lgu files can not be opened by the old tools.

Thanks.
    I've tried lgu2dir v2 and it doesn't work for me. I have a new hyundai tucson (european model) and may be its lgu format has changed.
    A copy of upgrade.lgu can be found here: jkd.no-ip.biz/hyundai/firmware/085063_eu20_upgrade.lgu

Perhaps, a developer can get a working utility for this format.

Thank you