(Q) How can I disable Instant Apps for Android

Search This thread
H

Honest9

Sorry mate, i see all your comments now, i refresh the app and all show now, i have bad reception where I am.
That app you show, it install by it self again after a reset?
Do you have another phone?
Ok I will take a risk. Even I wanna know whether I faced this problem due to instant apps or not. I do lot of research in order to figure out the exact issue. All of sudden I started seeing so many ads on few apps. Initially I thought it is publish by XDA only. But then I notice all ads are same in all apps. This seems strange. These are bad ads. After analyzing everything I came to conclusion that problem occurs after installing instant apps. Then I search instant apps on Google and came across XDA thread and Google playstore. I have not installed anything manually, it was automatic. I read comments ppl are saying it got install on public WiFi. I use public WiFi as well. I will comeback with my findings.

Sent from my LG V20 using XDA Labs

cavags5

May 15, 2015
Beach
Ok I will take a risk. Even I wanna know whether I faced this problem due to instant apps or not. I do lot of research in order to figure out the exact issue. All of sudden I started seeing so many ads on few apps. Initially I thought it is publish by XDA only. But then I notice all ads are same in all apps. This seems strange. These are bad ads. After analyzing everything I came to conclusion that problem occurs after installing instant apps. Then I search instant apps on Google and came across XDA thread and Google playstore. I have not installed anything manually, it was automatic. I read comments ppl are saying it got install on public WiFi. I use public WiFi as well. I will comeback with my findings.

Sent from my LG V20 using XDA Labs
Try in other wifi, if it install again, maybe you can try other Google account, with other reset in the phone.

ranajideb

Feb 10, 2013
Wait and watch mode - On

Use Disable Service to stop all 67 (!) entries.

Thanks for the suggestion. Seems like the app keeps attempting to reinstall itself soon after each reboot. Here's what I did:

1. Stood far away from the wifi router for intermittent connection and kept an eye out for the installation to start, before quickly canceling it
  2. Checked off auto update apps
  3. Searched for instant app on playstore and reported the app to google
  4. Downloaded the Disable Service app
  5. Disabled the InstantApp service within google play services (with root access)

Seems sneaky to install an app without permission, although the other app which did the same was google voice package. At some point we will have to get over our paranoia and ask "what's the worse that could happen? That being said - hoping this solution works.

Update: The InstantApp service activated itself again after reboot. So this time, I went ahead and revoked all data access, storage and boot permissions from (system) app permissions. Now the download starts and cancels out automatically.

Last edited:
Reactions: fatapia

potato man

May 14, 2017
Maybe found a simple solution...
'Google play services for instant app' kept reinstalling itself on my phone (moto x play) so I simply deleted it and restricted background data for the play store. I never heard from it again...

fatapia

Apr 21, 2010
Maybe found a simple solution...
'Google play services for instant app' kept reinstalling itself on my phone (moto x play) so I simply deleted it and restricted background data for the play store. I never heard from it again...

That worked for me for a bit but remember other services are tied into this as well so you affect more than just this download.

What i had done was open my Root Uninstaller app (because it can also freeze apps too) and located the Google Play Services for Instant Apps.

Then i went into the app info for "Google Play Services for Instant Apps" and first force stopped it then i selected the storage option and and cleared the data.

I then went back to my Root Uninstaller app and froze the Google Play Services for Instant Apps.

And now when I go into the Play Store, it's gone.

I didn't uninstall it because it was implemented in the Play Store and has files that are dependent.

Stopping, cleaning and freezing will prevent it from running while keeping any file dependencies in place.

This should, hopefully, do the trick...

I don't like Google determining what goes on my device either.

I wish you all the best of luck!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I Am The Egg Man,
They Are The Egg Men.
I Am The Walrus!
Coo Coo Cachoo!

I DO NOT PROVIDE SUPPORT VIA PM UNLESS ASKED/REQUESTED BY MYSELF.
PLEASE KEEP IT IN THE THREADS WHERE EVERYONE CAN SHARE

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2017
Not rooted - blocking Play Store & Account Manager with firewall stops the updates; at least while they are blocked. I got updates even though GIA isn't available on my device !

D

Deleted member 8507888

I disabled the android download manager, that worked ;>

darkensx

Feb 18, 2011
Dalton NH
ASUS ROG Phone 3
As far as I can tell atm its tied directly to Google play services itself so anything short of removing play services all together (and have 0 play store access :-\ ) and instant apps will just keep reinstalling if removed (not disabled or frozen though)

fiahyautoapp

Sep 14, 2017
Just had my phone die of battery, restarted and took a screenshot of this odd app installing or updating itself even though every single setting on this Samsung Galaxyon5 from metro is disabled for auto updates. Very weird stuff, i am the type who turns off and disables everything on a stock phone...this is VERY unusual of an app, I wonder if it gets revealed as something later on.... i noticed this specific phone, galaxyon5, is free at a lot of cell pbone stores in my area, and lots of people get this phone free.... hm, i wonder.

Also, Only thing I downloaded last few hours was a bill from federal congress website and government website for the state,i know, a pdf file for a new emerging market in the green rush,could be spywared easily... so I am worried or such this might be tracking, esp coming from infosec background.fishy..fishy!

I put it into airplane mode at 50 percent. And it went away no popups or error.... as soon as i enabled wifi, magically pops up and finishes slowly....so strange how its veiled, super fishy. I did snapshot it, and Have screenshot of it autoinstalling, ... oh, and when i try to open it in the google settings page it freezes and the app crashes..hmmmm...so damn weird.

---------- Post added at 12:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 AM ----------

Now I have a 3rd or 4th thing to add to this list of fishyness.... i went to apps,Google Services for Instant App.... this thing has permissions for my camera turned on!..location AND PRECISE LOCATION, VIDEO RECORD AND AUDIO RECORD.. hmm.. why. I had disabled everything like that MONTHS AGO in every single page of google and android settings. Fishy!

This is smelling like bad mystery meat, very much...

Last edited:

WoodEe23

Oct 1, 2012
Nunya, CA
Just remember since 2008, Android has been considered open source, which had users feeling like they owned their phones. Now, Google is slowly turning into APPLE..geez guys

Reactions: HippoMan

eris667

Aug 9, 2017
I am testing TB Freezing Instant apps
About 6hrs in...
Updating Instant Apps has stopped
Downloading download file.bin 1-5 has stopped

I thought I had a virus so earlier today I did a cache wipe and two full factory resets - as soon as I logged in this started again... So after some Google Fu I decided to test freezing

I had recently found the following on the Android Stack Exchange and thought that others may be able to benefit from this.

https://android.stackexchange.com/q...ps-downloads-installs-itself-without-authoriz

I haven't had a chance to get too involved in this but, it does look promising.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I DO NOT PROVIDE SUPPORT VIA PM UNLESS ASKED/REQUESTED BY MYSELF.
PLEASE KEEP IT IN THE THREADS WHERE EVERYONE CAN SHARE

bonbonboi

Dec 20, 2007
Sorry to interrupt the discussion, what's wrong with "Google Play services for Instant Apps" if it kept to do whatever it wants to do, any logical security/privacy risk?

Reactions: Scottay5150

jerryhou85

Senior Moderator | Developer Committee
Staff member
Just had my phone die of battery, restarted and took a screenshot of this odd app installing or updating itself even though every single setting on this Samsung Galaxyon5 from metro is disabled for auto updates. Very weird stuff, i am the type who turns off and disables everything on a stock phone...this is VERY unusual of an app, I wonder if it gets revealed as something later on.... i noticed this specific phone, galaxyon5, is free at a lot of cell pbone stores in my area, and lots of people get this phone free.... hm, i wonder.

Also, Only thing I downloaded last few hours was a bill from federal congress website and government website for the state,i know, a pdf file for a new emerging market in the green rush,could be spywared easily... so I am worried or such this might be tracking, esp coming from infosec background.fishy..fishy!

I put it into airplane mode at 50 percent. And it went away no popups or error.... as soon as i enabled wifi, magically pops up and finishes slowly....so strange how its veiled, super fishy. I did snapshot it, and Have screenshot of it autoinstalling, ... oh, and when i try to open it in the google settings page it freezes and the app crashes..hmmmm...so damn weird.

---------- Post added at 12:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 AM ----------

Now I have a 3rd or 4th thing to add to this list of fishyness.... i went to apps,Google Services for Instant App.... this thing has permissions for my camera turned on!..location AND PRECISE LOCATION, VIDEO RECORD AND AUDIO RECORD.. hmm.. why. I had disabled everything like that MONTHS AGO in every single page of google and android settings. Fishy!

This is smelling like bad mystery meat, very much...
Hello, notice you are posting questions of your Galaxy On5, actually we have a section for this phone: https://forum.xda-developers.com/samsung-galaxy-on5/help

Please visit that section and search for help. This is section about Pixel XL. Thanks.

...anyway, this crap from fck G auto-update itself. I restore just few minutes ago a ViperOneM9 backup where (I know for sure) the auto-update settings in PlayStore app was disabled.
Now G auto-update his apps without ask nor advice... very nice. Thank you G for ruin my Android experience, every day worst and even worster.

Last edited:
Reactions: cavags5

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    oh man, when i saw this i thought i had a virus on my phone.
    especially when i couldn't find anything named "instant apps" in the app drawer
    ...anyway, this crap from fck G auto-update itself. I restore just few minutes ago a ViperOneM9 backup where (I know for sure) the auto-update settings in PlayStore app was disabled.
    Now G auto-update his apps without ask nor advice... very nice. Thank you G for ruin my Android experience, every day worst and even worster.
    Best way is this.
    So much whining, pointless anger and conspiracy theory bs over a complete non issue, smh. It seems like an idiotic herd has taken over XDA.

Sir, if you consider this as a non issue to you, why bother reply?

It is a ethical subject(read debate) which has to be looked into.
    And when you say idiots, does that #include you, sir?

Apart from the above reference,

great job all, there are some who are willing to get a work around.
    Im a victim of this forced update by google. Tried BK package which works onnly on samsung, my device wasnt allowed.
    Im a OP2 user, stock rom.
    If i could be of any help, please let me know.
    (And i will keep an eye on this thread)
    thanks!
    Instant apps are temporary apps. So you can't uninstall them or disable it. It's a feature built into Android that is not going away. Your only option is to install a rom without Gapps. Otherwise deal with it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Enable/Disable Google Instant Apps.

I found this solution(s) for my sister & a few other random people who WANTED TO ENABLE instant apps but maybe following the steps & tapping NONE instead of an account will help fix your issue.

I have never had the option to enable Instant Apps (IA) via my Google settings. The ONLY way I have found to enable IA on any of my devices is by*following the steps listed below. Not listing all of my devices individually, but I have a collection ranging from: Protective plastic undisturbed to old & crappy but rooted.

1. Tap the Play Store app
    2. Locate & tap to open the hamburger menu (3 stacked lines in upper left corner)
    3. Find & tap the Settings option
    4. Find the User Controls menu, the very last option should be Google Play Instant (GPI)
    5. Tap GPI & choose the account you would like to use.

ALSO.....

1. Go into your phone Settings
    2. Find & tap the Apps & Notifications option
    3. Find & tap the Default Apps option
    4. Find & tap the App Links option
    5. Toggle Open Links In App option on
    6. Right below that should be the Instant Apps Account (IAA) option - tap the IAA option & choose an account to use with IA.

IF YOU WANT TO OPT OUT FOR ALL accounts: Tap NONE instead of choosing an account.