[Q] How do i change the pulldown text "ACS"

Search This thread

.OmEgA

May 16, 2011
Michigan
Where do i edit the ACS text in the pulldown? I want to change it to something more personal or something.

snap20110715_013050.png

darkierawr

Feb 2, 2011
You have to decompile framework-res in APK Manager or APKTool(Or whatever other tool you can find to decompile).

Under values edit strings.xml and find the line "<string name="zz_roamingText1">ACS</string>"

Change the "ACS" value to what you want and recompile framework.

Do not expect it to work. It will most likely fail even if you don't change anything.

.OmEgA

May 16, 2011
Michigan
What would make it fail??

Couldnt I just delete the META-INF folder and re-sign it after recompiling it?

Last edited:

schnowdapowda

Jun 7, 2010
Dallas, TX Yaurdme?
Yeah I can never get it to recompile either. I think you have to set twframework-res.apk as a dependency or something like that. Mystery has a guide on just this subject but I still couldn't get it working. And also omega, you don't sign system apks?

cd's or tapes?

chris41g

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 10, 2009
custom frameworks rarely recompile.. you have to work around it

decompile a stock framework, change whatever file you were going to change in acs framework, recompile, use acs framework as a keep file..

Tortel1210

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 3, 2010
Decompile, change the file, recompile, then take the recompiled XML file, and put it in the original apk

.OmEgA

May 16, 2011
Michigan
i was half asleep when i said to resign it lol. :p

ill try some of the tips you guys gave me and see if i can do something with it. thanks

MysteryEmotionz

Sep 7, 2010
Massachussets
Decompile, change the file, recompile, then take the recompiled XML file, and put it in the original apk

Not going to work since styles.xml becomes bundled with resources.rsc. Replacing the resources causes a **** load of errors.

If you want a custom thing in the drop down your gonna have to edit a stock framework add all the changes from the theme your using

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

shane6374

Jun 23, 2009
Minneapolis
Here's my method for editing the styles.xml.

With apkmanager, decompile, then immediately recompile your framework-res.apk. If you get errors, then you got an issue that you must fix. If you can read the error log, it will tell you what it is. No errors, then continue.

in the projects folder, navigate to the values folder and open the styles.xml with a text editor (I recommend notepad++).

Make the edit that darkie posted above, save, then recompile.

No errors? good, now sign the apk

Go back to the modded, extract the signedframework-res.apk and open your original framework with 7zip. Then copy the resources.rsc from the extracted folder to the same location in the 7zip window.

Note: this is the method that has worked for me

MysteryEmotionz

Sep 7, 2010
Massachussets
Here's my method for editing the styles.xml.

With apkmanager, decompile, then immediately recompile your framework-res.apk. If you get errors, then you got an issue that you must fix. If you can read the error log, it will tell you what it is. No errors, then continue.

in the projects folder, navigate to the values folder and open the styles.xml with a text editor (I recommend notepad++).

Make the edit that darkie posted above, save, then recompile.

No errors? good, now sign the apk

Go back to the modded, extract the signedframework-res.apk and open your original framework with 7zip. Then copy the resources.rsc from the extracted folder to the same location in the 7zip window.

Note: this is the method that has worked for me

The problem with your method is the changes to public.xml that is compiled into resources.rsc. There was changes made to public.xml for reboot and the 6 lockscreens

.OmEgA

May 16, 2011
Michigan
The problem with your method is the changes to public.xml that is compiled into resources.rsc. There was changes made to public.xml for reboot and the 6 lockscreens

Please excuse me on this one, still new in all this but how does editing the styles.xml affect the public.xml?? Specially since I'm just tinkering with srf 1.2 files to get use to everything.

Posted by some phone named the Epic.

darkierawr

Feb 2, 2011

Not if you're using the stock 6 lock mod. It decompiled/recompiled perfect for me.

So if you used SRF or Simply Blue as a base you could swap 'em out without problems......theoretically

shane6374

Jun 23, 2009
Minneapolis
Please excuse me on this one, still new in all this but how does editing the styles.xml affect the public.xml?? Specially since I'm just tinkering with srf 1.2 files to get use to everything.

He's talking about using a completely stock framework in reference to the method I posted earlier, and how the mods affect the public.xml.

.OmEgA

May 16, 2011
Michigan
He's talking about using a completely stock framework in reference to the method I posted earlier, and how the mods affect the public.xml.

Ohhhhh okay, that makes sense lol. Can't wait to get this work day over with to test out the method :) thanks for the help so far.

.OmEgA

May 16, 2011
Michigan
Okay so i finally got around to doing this.

Heres what im running into thats stopping me (using APK Manager):
  • Decompile - OK
  • Modify Strings.xml - OK
  • Compile - This is where i get lost, when i goto the keep folder and delete the resources.rsc file then sign it. there is no new resources.rsc file... what am i doing wrong? Also just to make sure on these two steps that ask you if its a system file and copy over other files, I assume I say YES to both?

EDIT:
ok so i looked into the logs and found this:
W: Cant find 9patch chunk in file: "drawable-hdpi/statusbar_background.9.png". Renaming it to *.png.
Then it opens up a can of worm in the public.xml dealing with the .9.pngs

Last edited:

shane6374

Jun 23, 2009
Minneapolis
Okay so i finally got around to doing this.

Heres what im running into thats stopping me (using APK Manager):
  • Decompile - OK
  • Modify Strings.xml - OK
  • Compile - This is where i get lost, when i goto the keep folder and delete the resources.rsc file then sign it. there is no new resources.rsc file... what am i doing wrong? Also just to make sure on these two steps that ask you if its a system file and copy over other files, I assume I say YES to both?

EDIT:
ok so i looked into the logs and found this:

Then it opens up a can of worm in the public.xml dealing with the .9.pngs
Did you decompile, then recompile the framework-res.apk before you made any changes? That is a test I ALWAYS run to make sure I don't have other things to fix first.