[Q] How to avoid bricking your device?

Search This thread

thecrazyman64

Sep 13, 2008
Pitesti
I`m going to start cooking custom ROMs for my diamond and i don`t want to lose[/brick] it, i want it alive.

The question is, what actually bricks your device, a wrong cooked ROM or too many ROM flashes? Or both? I know that importing a ROM from another device to your kitchen and flash it to your device bricks it. Are there other ways to brick it?

My device has about 50 flashes and about 40-50% are with MTTY[/TASK 29]. How many ~ flashes can take a diamond before brick?

Sorry if my english is bad! :)

Last edited:

boggsie

Oct 12, 2007
Columbus
One has to establish what the term "bricking my device" is really intended to describe. Historically, it is used to describe when a device cannot be resurrected from a non-booting state and is generally non-responsive to attempts to get into bootloader. However, being able to get into bootloader doesn't necessarily mean that you'll be able to flash and recover, as I have seen two occasions where the person could get into bootloader, flash the appropriate stock rom and when the device reset, it simply returned to bootloader.

I go through all of this to contrast the above scenarion against what some folks have started to describe as "bricking my device" ... which is a bad flash, where the device doesn't get past the boot splash, but is easily resolved by going into the bootloader and flashing a rom that is known to be good.

Generally, the risk of really "bricking your device" is low as long as you are flashing SYS/XIP/OS only roms for your device.

Most folks get into trouble when the start messing with the boot loader and / or radio.

Based on MTBF, it has been stated that the average flash rom included in these phones could probably flash somewhere near 10,000 times.

All IMHO ... you'll do yourself a favor and, in addition to asking via this thread, use google to search for existing threads to get a variety of replies, just so you have visibility into the range of answers that you'll come across.

Best regards,
-boggsie

Rataplan

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 2, 2008
New dyke
I`m going to start cooking custom ROMs for my diamond and i don`t want to lose[/brick] it, i want it alive.

The question is, what actually bricks your device, a wrong cooked ROM or too many ROM flashes? Or both? I know that importing a ROM from another device to your kitchen and flash it to your device bricks it. Are there other ways to brick it?

My device has about 50 flashes and about 40-50% are with MTTY[/TASK 29]. How many ~ flashes can take a diamond before brick?

Sorry if my english is bad! :)

Okay, I learned it the hard way :mad:, cooking and flashing already costs me 2 devices.
The first device I only went back to my original rom when my devices acting weird, most of the time after 10 flashes, but after 6 months my device died.
My second device, I always flashed the original after a cooked build but that one only lived for 3 months.
So I decided to get myself another phone (all 3 phones are Niki btw) and only flash through sd-card, for now I already flashed my device 200 times without getting back to the original rom.

Regards,

thecrazyman64

Sep 13, 2008
Pitesti
Okay, I learned it the hard way :mad:, cooking and flashing already costs me 2 devices.
The first device I only went back to my original rom when my devices acting weird, most of the time after 10 flashes, but after 6 months my device died.
My second device, I always flashed the original after a cooked build but that one only lived for 3 months.
So I decided to get myself another phone (all 3 phones are Niki btw) and only flash through sd-card, for now I already flashed my device 200 times without getting back to the original rom.

Regards,

Well, this is why i got scared, the chef of the ROM i am using bricked his second diamond yesterday. And the second device lived only 1-2 months, but it was a used one.

I made only about 10 ROM flash in the normal way, RUU and USB cable, but now i am only flashing from internal storage and before that i use MTTY.