[Q] How to calibrate new extended battery

Search This thread

Rekzer

Nov 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Ive read that the way weve always used with the wiping of battery stats actually doesnt do anything.

I got a GTmax 3500 mah battery but the phone turns off at 0, even though it has power, its sitting at the recovery screen and is just fine. I was wondering, do i just leave it here to drain it, or do I have some other method of calibration. Im pretty sure its going by its old stats because it drained in 12 hours and turned off. I SHOULD get ~23-24 hours on the new battery.

DarkShim

Apr 13, 2011
New York City
Yes, it has been determined that the battery stats file we used to wipe does absolutely nothing to prolong the battery's charge on any Android phone. The only thing it does is wipe out the statistics that we see for what is using the battery. Personally, I've never noticed any difference in battery longevity when wiping the stats file, so I stopped wiping it long before this information came to light.

As for your issue, the phone turning off at 0% seems pretty normal to me. I'm not really sure what your concern is. Just because you can access the recovery screen doesn't mean there is enough power to let the phone run normally. I would let it charge for several hours before using it again or at least leave it on the AC charger while you use it. It is also not a good idea to let the phone discharge down to 0%, as this can shorten the lifespan of the battery. Typically, the battery power meter is pretty accurate. Plus the battery should be fully charged before use. It is speculated that if you condition the battery itself (fully charge, then fully discharge (the one and only time this should be done), and fully recharge it again), you may see better life. Considering that on a typical day, I get about 5 hours of heavy use before I have to plug it in, I would welcome 12 hours without having to charge.

Last edited:
Reactions: utuhkulalil

Rekzer

Nov 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Yes, it has been determined that the battery stats file we used to wipe does absolutely nothing to prolong the battery's charge on any Android phone. The only thing it does is wipe out the statistics that we see for what is using the battery. Personally, I've never noticed any difference in battery longevity when wiping the stats file, so I stopped wiping it long before this information came to light.

As for your issue, the phone turning off at 0% seems pretty normal to me. I'm not really sure what your concern is. Just because you can access the recovery screen doesn't mean there is enough power to let the phone run normally. I would let it charge for several hours before using it again or at least leave it on the AC charger while you use it. It is also not a good idea to let the phone discharge down to 0%, as this can shorten the lifespan of the battery. Typically, the battery power meter is pretty accurate. Plus the battery should be fully charged before use. It is speculated that if you condition the battery itself (fully charge, then fully discharge (the one and only time this should be done), and fully recharge it again), you may see better life. Considering that on a typical day, I get about 5 hours of heavy use before I have to plug it in, I would welcome 12 hours without having to charge.

Thats strange. I got some friends with iPhone 4S and they get over a full day with some moderate use. I get 12-16 hours tops. I can easily drain it in 8 hours. Doesnt seem like it should require mid day charging.

avarize

Dec 30, 2011
Virginia
Thats strange. I got some friends with iPhone 4S and they get over a full day with some moderate use. I get 12-16 hours tops. I can easily drain it in 8 hours. Doesnt seem like it should require mid day charging.

Under volt, setcpu, good kernel, brightness etc.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

DarkShim

Apr 13, 2011
New York City

It is very difficult at best to compare iDevices and Android devices. The hardware and software are completely different. Regardless, I also know folks with the iPhone 4s. About half of them drain their device within 5 hours. Constantly doing stuff... The batteries on most smartphones are just not up to standards with today's hardware. At any rate, the rest of the folks I know with the iPhone 4s are more moderate users. They get about 7-8 hours. One person claims she gets 9. It depends on usage. Plus, as avarize stated, underclock, a decent kernel, screen brightness, etc... And SetCPU is a great app (even for non-rooted devices). Also, constant text messages tend to drain devices. It just depends on how you use it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.