[Q] How to Enable USB Debuging via Fastboot ?

Search This thread

GarciaGotti

Feb 13, 2013
Macon
Hey guys , anyone have a way to enable usb debugging via fastboot ?
Flashing something may do it ?

i also need to find out because i cant even get into my phone due to bootloop issues...i bought my HTC MyTouch 4G from someone & been trying to fix my bootloop, every forum says to make sure "usb debugging" is enabled but i have no idea if it is or if it isnt

also when i use "adb devices" in cmd nothing shows up under list of devices...i just hope there is a command in adb or fastboot to enable/disable usb debugging

khajoor

Feb 7, 2013
i also need to find out because i cant even get into my phone due to bootloop issues...i bought my HTC MyTouch 4G from someone & been trying to fix my bootloop, every forum says to make sure "usb debugging" is enabled but i have no idea if it is or if it isnt

also when i use "adb devices" in cmd nothing shows up under list of devices...i just hope there is a command in adb or fastboot to enable/disable usb debugging

I don't know whether you can enable USB debugging through fastboot ... i'll leave that to the experts.

However you can see your devices when connected to a PC in fastboot mode!

just run ...

fastboot devices

sashank

Dec 31, 2010
Bangalore, KA, India
Those errors have nothing to do with USB debugging. Your bootloader might not be unlocked so the flashing commands aren't working, or you're using wrong commands. USB debugging is at the ROM level and is for enabling adb while booted into the ROM. At the bootloader level, only fastboot commands work if the bootloader is unlocked. adb does not work. You need a custom recovery like CWM/TWRP for adb to work, and this recovery has to be flashed via 'fastboot flash recovery <recovery name>.img' on an unlocked bootloader.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Last edited:
Reactions: juzerali

lotuxete

Mar 11, 2008
Hello,

I'm also interested on this topic. My screen is broken, but the phone is working. I can boot and I feel the phone working and recognising my finger to unlock. However, because I'm stupid and I didn't have the "USB debugging ON" I can't access my files via ADB or any recovery software.

However, I can boot on fastboot and I see my device on "fastboot devides". Can I do something to access my files from there? I don't know... maybe unlock bootloader and flash any kind of TRWP with full adb or something like that.

THanks ¡

jwoegerbauer

• Jul 11, 2009
    European Union
    Hello,

I'm also interested on this topic. My screen is broken, but the phone is working. I can boot and I feel the phone working and recognising my finger to unlock. However, because I'm stupid and I didn't have the "USB debugging ON" I can't access my files via ADB or any recovery software.

However, I can boot on fastboot and I see my device on "fastboot devides". Can I do something to access my files from there? I don't know... maybe unlock bootloader and flash any kind of TRWP with full adb or something like that.

THanks ¡
    As its name implies, Fastboot operates on device's bootloader and not on device's Android files as ADB does.

BTW: You always can access the user-data stored in Android's file system if USB-MTP mode got enabled on Android device.

lotuxete

Mar 11, 2008
    As its name implies, Fastboot operates on device's bootloader and not on device's Android files as ADB does.

BTW: You always can access the user-data stored in Android's file system if USB-MTP mode got enabled on Android device.
    True, I can see my Xiaomi on "Windows Explorer", but it's an empty folder because I can't select MTP mode instead of "only charge" mode that it's launched by default.
    What if I flash a TWRP recovery (I'll need to open bootloader first) and then from TRWP I try adb?

It must be a solution... if profesional people can do it so we do.

Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      I'm sorry to say, you cannot enable USB Debugging through fastboot. :(

Hit the thanks button if i helped answer your question :cowboy:
      Those errors have nothing to do with USB debugging. Your bootloader might not be unlocked so the flashing commands aren't working, or you're using wrong commands. USB debugging is at the ROM level and is for enabling adb while booted into the ROM. At the bootloader level, only fastboot commands work if the bootloader is unlocked. adb does not work. You need a custom recovery like CWM/TWRP for adb to work, and this recovery has to be flashed via 'fastboot flash recovery <recovery name>.img' on an unlocked bootloader.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone