[Q] How to Extract data from .Backup file ? - Created with android system recovery

Search This thread

e5e197740b

Apr 28, 2019
Is it definitive that the encryption is only on on Android 7 and up, like hinted upon on the earlier pages?
Because the device is still running 6.0....

aIecxs

Feb 17, 2016
gitlab.com
(FDE) full disk encryption was introduced with android 5.0 (and i believe encryption is forced since android 6.0)
(FBE) file based encryption was introduced with android 7.0 (and is forced with android 10)

most Mediatek devices still running FDE even with android 9 which are affected from this bug. it doesn't concern qualcomm devices where FDE crypto footer is saved at -16384 bytes of userdata partition or FBE where encryption credentials stored in /data/misc/vold/user_keys inside the partition itself. However, metadata partition becomes important again for FBE (inline) + metadata encryption (android 11) where FBE metadata is no longer stored in plain text

belvo02

Apr 21, 2014
thank you for the forum, cause i have a similar problem

hello to all
i'm a noob and really apreciate your efforts
So my concern is
i have my userdata*.backup file (12 files for close to 27 gigs by the way) from stock recovery backup option on a gigaset 270plus device runing on android 7.0
if i have understood what i read, after a factory reset via recovery i wont be able to restore user data using the backupfile created
by the stock recovery?

I forgot the handset's password and im trying to use stock recovery backup + factory reset + stock recovery restore just to recover the data.
any help or advice?
thanks in advance

aIecxs

Feb 17, 2016
gitlab.com
No, except you do a readback of metadata from SP Flash Tool. Note when login credentials are involved in encryption, you won't be able to decrypt even on rooted device

port TWRP recovery from Cubot X18 Plus and flash on locked bootloader, that's (besides official solutions) your best option to remove screen lock

Last edited:
Reactions: belvo02

belvo02

Apr 21, 2014
No, except you do a readback of metadata from SP Flash Tool. Note when login credentials are involved in encryption, you won't be able to decrypt even on rooted device

port TWRP recovery from Cubot X18 Plus and flash on locked bootloader, that's (besides official solutions) your best option to remove screen lock

do you have any suggestions for me?
i want to try dr fone but i dont think it supports gigaset smatphones
i need a method to remove the screen lock without loosing the data ,:sad:

i even got the same phone , i was planning to root it , restore the backup and then use twrp to remove the lock
but it says "the backup file is out of date please rebackup your data"
any method to recover this files s welcome, if i could get even just the pictures and videos, can any thing help me?
im going to try to connect it to sp flashtools and try what you said earlier
thank you for replying

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 AM ----------

i can upload the data for analysis or for anyhelp to extract just the pictures and videos
any help?
please?

D

Deleted member 1890170

i need a method to remove the screen lock without loosing the data
Because ADB on phone gets activated when phone boots up, you probably can get back into the phone by disabling your screen lock security by means of ADB. You do this by launching Android Settings via ADB as shown next:
Code:
adb devices
adb shell am start -a android.settings.SETTINGS

Reactions: belvo02

NoClueDave

Jul 22, 2020
Solution for windows?

Hey guys, i am new and know nothing about programming or hacking so please do bear with me as i seek your assistance in trying to extract data from my .backup files using Windows.

I used the following suggestions given on this thread from post #19 :https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2408788&page=2

But on step 3 the process fails and i get an error message when it starts to merge the part 3 backup file. Basically the same problem as the guy in post #20

Is there a fix for this?
Please guys, i would really appreciate any feedback for solutions to this problem in windows. Please help. :crying:

belvo02

Apr 21, 2014
Because ADB on phone gets activated when phone boots up, you probably can get back into the phone by disabling your screen lock security by means of ADB. You do this by launching Android Settings via ADB as shown next:
Code:
adb devices
adb shell am start -a android.settings.SETTINGS

phone adb was not preactivated so it cant turn on at boot
only mode i can acess is fastboot
it shows my device but doesnt accept most commands
:confused:

aIecxs

Feb 17, 2016
gitlab.com
@belvo02 did you check your backup files are plain, or encrypted (with HxD)? did you backup metadata BEFORE??
if yes, open new thread for TWRP for your device. we might help with porting

Last edited:

aIecxs

Feb 17, 2016
gitlab.com
open file with HxD hex editor and check there must be either 1F 8B or 53 EF found within first ~ 1600 bytes. backup of metadata partition could have been done from SP Flash Tool readback

belvo02

Apr 21, 2014
@belvo02 did you check your backup files are plain, or encrypted (with HxD)? did you backup metadata BEFORE??
if yes, open new thread for TWRP for your device. we might help with porting
this is what i get
https://ibb.co/B6q5x0P

as fot the metadata i can do a backup i guess with sp flashtool
i guess i need to get a scatter file by downloading the rom for gigaset 270 plus
i tried a read back using a random scatter file and it gave me this reply
https://ibb.co/CmnfFRV

im trying to remove the password via adb from the device but
its not rooted , its locked, and it connects to fastboot mode
but when i go to recovery it doesnt detect
i even select the option apply updates from adb in the recovery but stll nothing
https://ibb.co/H2bM4ts

everything i try fails, im confused now i need to make a readback and make a report, hope it works

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's a 512 byte header in front of a "tar.gz"
    hexdump -C userdata_xxxxxxxx_yyyyyy.backup | less
    showed the magical zip header "1f8b0800 00000000" at offset 0x200
    So, skipping 512 bytes, the rest can be gunzip | tar
    dd if=userdata_xxxxxxxx_yyyyyy.backup bs=512 skip=1 | gunzip -c | tar xv
    Thanks for your effort!

Although I can't unpack absolutely 100% data, I run foremost in the extracted 2.ext file and got photos. I'm afraid I didn't recovered all of them and videos as well.

Will keep the backup files until I find a solution. Please shoot if you find any support or update on your script. Many thanks again.

I had same problem. Android stock recovery (three files: .backup .backup1 and .backup2) and no idea how to extract. I read this thread and tried a little bit with my files. Then I got it. You have to remove the 512 byte header in each part, then merge all files and mount it as ext4.

Code:
    dd if=userdata*.backup of=part0.img bs=512 skip=1
    dd if=userdata*.backup1 of=part1.img bs=512 skip=1
    dd if=userdata*.backup2 of=part2.img bs=512 skip=1
    cat part*.img > backup.img
    sudo mount -t ext4 backup.img /mnt

Thats it.

So i recovered all images and videos. Hopefully it works with your backup.
    looking for the same

I Backup-ed my Acer tab b1-A71 using android system recovery - Just like CWM.

The file name ends with .Backup, and i wanted to extract some files from it..

How to Extract data from .Backup file ? - Created with android system recovery :)

me too looking for the same thing ..how to extract from or decompile .backup file which we get thru recovery.
    same here. dunno how to open and extract the files from a .backup file. hoping you know already :)

Nope.. Still i'm having that file but no one knew :( :rolleyes:
    you can create your own scatter file with WwR MTK v2.51 from Ilya Aleksandrovich