• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[Q] How to get JB update?

Search This thread

jojoost

Jan 8, 2012
I would like to get the update OTA, but what do I have to do for that if it is being released? Do I have to unroot? Return to stock rom? Return to stock kernel? Please tell me all I need to know!

Harbb

Dec 20, 2011
Sydney
You'll need to be on an entirely stock ROM and kernel, so no root or other modifications to /system. Get 4.0.4 on there, set it up as you like and wait. Hopefully Google doesn't release it the same way as ICS (selectively, seemed to be by location).

jojoost

Jan 8, 2012
So where can I find a fully stock rom that doesn't have root or anything like that

Verstuurd van mijn Nexus S met Tapatalk

grigri444

Jun 9, 2009
Salonica
I have stock ROM, stock Kernel stock recovery and i am rooted. As far as i know, i can get OTA uptade and i will just lose root.
The thing that i dont know is what the superuser and the apps that i have granted superuser permissions, changed in the /system file.
All the apps with superuser permissions has the path /system/bin/sh. And there is also the su binary to /system/bin/su.
I haven't touched anything in /system. Will those apps cause me a problem with the OTA update?

albundy2010

Sep 24, 2010
You will be fine. As long as everything is in there that is supposed to be.

Also do not revert back to stock now and wait for the ota. That is just dumb. Google will announce when the ota is getting pushed. Do it then if you want. Going to back to stock to wait now makes no sense.

I personally wouldn't even do that. I'd wait for the official update zip to be posted. Then flash back to stock. Flash custom recovery and flash the ota over. Screw waiting for it to be pushed to my device

Reactions: grigri444

309041291a

Dec 29, 2011

Also do not revert back to stock now and wait for the ota. That is just dumb. Google will announce when the ota is getting pushed. Do it then if you want. Going to back to stock to wait now makes no sense.

I personally wouldn't even do that. I'd wait for the official update zip to be posted. Then flash back to stock. Flash custom recovery and flash the ota over. Screw waiting for it to be pushed to my device

I wouldn't even do that. I'd just wait until source is released then we'll have plenty of epic ROMs with all the features and more :p....

Nexus S (GSM i9020a)
Paranoid (14.a Hybrid - 4.0.4)
Matrix Kernel (CFS - 20.0)
Intellidemmand (800/100)
Live OC (105 - 800/1000)
Deep Idle (On - Noop)
BLX - 96 (Inverted Apps)

Reactions: grigri444

grigri444

Jun 9, 2009
Salonica

That's the problem. I don't know if everything is in /system as is supposed to be. I haven't touch anything but i don't know what files superuser changed in the /system. If just have added files that won't effect OTA update, then i'm good to go. But if changed files then i'll have a problem.

Anyway, i have options. I'll wait for the OTA to be releashed and then go back to stock and update or wait for a CWM flashable stock version.

Thanks for the answer. I hope the guy who originally opened this thread was helped

greg2826

Nov 11, 2010
"I wouldn't even do that. I'd just wait until source is released then we'll have plenty of epic ROMs with all the features and more :p...."
+1

jojoost

Jan 8, 2012
Usually you also get an apk in system/app that is named FOTAkill.apk. it prevents the OTA from arriving on your phone..

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

grigri444

Jun 9, 2009
Salonica

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As long as you have all the system apps there, you should be fine I believe.
    root is not the problem, just wait for the OTA and re-root again

I wouldn't even do that. I'd just wait until source is released then we'll have plenty of epic ROMs with all the features and more :p....

Nexus S (GSM i9020a)
    Paranoid (14.a Hybrid - 4.0.4)
    Matrix Kernel (CFS - 20.0)
    Intellidemmand (800/100)
    Live OC (105 - 800/1000)
    Deep Idle (On - Noop)
    BLX - 96 (Inverted Apps)