[Q] How to get USB tethering between an android 3G device and Sony Tablet S to work?

Search This thread

abactor_xda

Mar 26, 2011
Hi,
Has anyone tried and had any success with USB tethering a 3G android device (let's say an HTC android phone) and the Sony Tablet S? Are there apps or kernel modules that are needed for this? I'm hoping to cut down on the battery drain on both devices by turning off the wi-fi radios and just using USB. I'm having trouble loading the mii.ko and usbnet.ko modules, though the rndis_host.ko module is loading ok.

Thanks,
A

stifilz

Jan 9, 2012
NZ
No. Would need drivers and all sorts of troubles. Try wifi teethering or bluetooth. Wifi works good for me

abactor_xda

Mar 26, 2011
Ok, that may be so, but I'd like to know if anybody has tried and succeeded, or if not could point me in the right direction. I'm not adverse to troubles and drivers, I'm adverse to inefficiencies. I've used wifi tethering and it consumes too much power on both devices. The resources (i.e. usb on-the-go) are available and we might as well put them to use, right?

stifilz

Jan 9, 2012
NZ
Ok, that may be so, but I'd like to know if anybody has tried and succeeded, or if not could point me in the right direction. I'm not adverse to troubles and drivers, I'm adverse to inefficiencies. I've used wifi tethering and it consumes too much power on both devices. The resources (i.e. usb on-the-go) are available and we might as well put them to use, right?

Good plan, but at the same time you will find that the Tablet is charging your phone.... LOL i do it all the time. Check in the dev section, but still don't have many devs. Maybe with the (hopeful) growth in sales of the Xperia Tab S we will se more 'action' here.

Stifilz