[Q] How to reset to stock firmware (force upgrade) Huawei Mate 10 Lite (RNE-L21)

Search This thread

Mecroob

Apr 2, 2017
Hello,

I wanted to flash Lineage OS 15.1 on my Huawei Mate 10 Lite (RNE-L21). I have an unlocked bootloader and TWRP 3.1.1-0 (OpenKirin Edition, from here: Link).

Unfortunately, when only wanting to do a factory reset prior to the Lineage OS install, I accidentally wiped my system partition. Now Lineage OS won't install, as it is lacking the stock system (checks the system prior to the install, see XDA-LineageOS15.1-Link).

Now I want to install the stock firmware, in order to install Lineage OS. For this reason I checked my phones region and fastboot getvar vendorcountry returned vendorcountry: hw/eu. So I guess I am on C432? Please correct me if I am wrong. So I downloaded the RNE-L21C432B304 firmware from here. The downloaded update.zip folder with a fairly huge UPDATE.APP file (>4GB) I unzipped and put on the external-sd card in a folder named "dload". Inside the dload folder there is the UPDATE.APP file among some other files (folder META-INF, new_filecontext_system, ...). However, when I now enter the software upgrade mode (power + both volume keys) the install breaks at 5%. It seems that it either can't detect the UPDATE.APP file, or it is the wrong one. I also tried to put the dload folder into /sdcard/, but the outcome is the same. Also if I don't add any files (so no dload folder), the outcome is the same, it breaks at 5%, so I am not sure if it is even checking the UPDATE.APP file.

I hope somebody has a hint for me.

Best, Felix

P.s.: I also tried to flash the OpenKirin EMUI 8-based Build LineageOS 16.0 Build 2 using their guide (OpenKirin Installation Guide), which wasn't working. But as they state you need to have EMUI 8.0 installed, I guess the problem is that I don't have any system installed at the moment.

Mecroob

Apr 2, 2017
I finally figured it out. I was on Android 7 before deleting the system partiton. I didn't know there is such a big difference partitionwise between Android 7 and 8 and I always tried to flash an Android 8 image. Flashing an Android 7 image worked. Then I could update to Andorid 8 via stock Huawei tools and afterwards flash a custom rom.

I finally figured it out. I was on Android 7 before deleting the system partiton. I didn't know there is such a big difference partitionwise between Android 7 and 8 and I always tried to flash an Android 8 image. Flashing an Android 7 image worked. Then I could update to Andorid 8 via stock Huawei tools and afterwards flash a custom rom.
Were did you find the android 7 rom? I want to downgrade my RNE-L21 (C185) from android 8 to 7.

Mecroob

Apr 2, 2017
Because I just came by the tool I used: It is called Huawei Multi-Tool:

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone