[Q] How to reset to stock firmware (force upgrade) Huawei Mate 10 Lite (RNE-L21)

Search This thread

Mecroob

Apr 2, 2017
Hello,

I wanted to flash Lineage OS 15.1 on my Huawei Mate 10 Lite (RNE-L21). I have an unlocked bootloader and TWRP 3.1.1-0 (OpenKirin Edition, from here: Link).

Unfortunately, when only wanting to do a factory reset prior to the Lineage OS install, I accidentally wiped my system partition. Now Lineage OS won't install, as it is lacking the stock system (checks the system prior to the install, see XDA-LineageOS15.1-Link).

Now I want to install the stock firmware, in order to install Lineage OS. For this reason I checked my phones region and fastboot getvar vendorcountry returned vendorcountry: hw/eu. So I guess I am on C432? Please correct me if I am wrong. So I downloaded the RNE-L21C432B304 firmware from here. The downloaded update.zip folder with a fairly huge UPDATE.APP file (>4GB) I unzipped and put on the external-sd card in a folder named "dload". Inside the dload folder there is the UPDATE.APP file among some other files (folder META-INF, new_filecontext_system, ...). However, when I now enter the software upgrade mode (power + both volume keys) the install breaks at 5%. It seems that it either can't detect the UPDATE.APP file, or it is the wrong one. I also tried to put the dload folder into /sdcard/, but the outcome is the same. Also if I don't add any files (so no dload folder), the outcome is the same, it breaks at 5%, so I am not sure if it is even checking the UPDATE.APP file.

I hope somebody has a hint for me.

Best, Felix

P.s.: I also tried to flash the OpenKirin EMUI 8-based Build LineageOS 16.0 Build 2 using their guide (OpenKirin Installation Guide), which wasn't working. But as they state you need to have EMUI 8.0 installed, I guess the problem is that I don't have any system installed at the moment.

Mecroob

Apr 2, 2017
I finally figured it out. I was on Android 7 before deleting the system partiton. I didn't know there is such a big difference partitionwise between Android 7 and 8 and I always tried to flash an Android 8 image. Flashing an Android 7 image worked. Then I could update to Andorid 8 via stock Huawei tools and afterwards flash a custom rom.

I finally figured it out. I was on Android 7 before deleting the system partiton. I didn't know there is such a big difference partitionwise between Android 7 and 8 and I always tried to flash an Android 8 image. Flashing an Android 7 image worked. Then I could update to Andorid 8 via stock Huawei tools and afterwards flash a custom rom.
Were did you find the android 7 rom? I want to downgrade my RNE-L21 (C185) from android 8 to 7.

Mecroob

Apr 2, 2017
Because I just came by the tool I used: It is called Huawei Multi-Tool: