[Q] How To Root Asus Memo Pad ME172V 7"

Search This thread

nerotNS

Nov 8, 2011
45.2500° N, 19.8500° E (Novi Sad)
I'm rather new to this.
I got my MeMO Pad a while ago, and it's really laggy. If I root it, how simple is it to restore to a factory state (unrooted, using stock ROM)? Will I still be able to receive the update to 4.2 if I do this?

Thanks

Well yeah just make a system dump and keep it somewhere on the pc as a backup. And you should be able to get an OTA even after root but you will loose root.

edrizal

Jun 29, 2013
"No USB Cable Connected

I run fastboot and type adb reboot boot-loader. It can't boot again, and shows "No USB cable connected". How can I solve this problem?

Reactions: nerotNS

nerotNS

Nov 8, 2011
I run fastboot and type adb reboot boot-loader. It can't boot again, and shows "No USB cable connected". How can I solve this problem?

You bricked it. If restoring a system dump doesn't fix it, you will have to send it to a service center. Next time please do read around before typing in commands like this. There is a a thread where everything is explained, and it's also said that doing adb reboot fastboot and adb reboot bootloader bricks the device

Sent from my ME172V using XDA Premium HD app

edrizal

Jun 29, 2013
You bricked it. If restoring a system dump doesn't fix it, you will have to send it to a service center. Next time please do read around before typing in commands like this. There is a a thread where everything is explained, and it's also said that doing adb reboot fastboot and adb reboot bootloader bricks the device

Is my asus warranty valid after trying to root it?

nerotNS

Nov 8, 2011
I've emulated your problem with my tablet....just push the reset button located in the small hole on top of right side...it will reboot normaly...

Sent from my ME172V using xda app-developers app

I'm afraid that it is not always the case, as most of the tablets still get into the loop when using the reset button. However in your case it could be related to root, or the CWM (if you have it installed)

frank_que

Jan 24, 2009
Milan, but soon...Bangkok!!!
I'm afraid that it is not always the case, as most of the tablets still get into the loop when using the reset button. However in your case it could be related to root, or the CWM (if you have it installed)

My solution is regarding adb reboot bootloader not about boot loop...

Sent from my ME172V using xda app-developers app

nerotNS

Nov 8, 2011
Anyone here still having the issue on "SoD" sleep of death? How did you manage to resolve it?:confused:

Sent from my ME172V using Tapatalk 2

Personally I've never had it, did you up of date your firmware to the latest version yet? It could be fixed with that, if not can you please explain exactly what were you doing when the problem happened, and if you can reproduce it a logcat would help a lot as well.

bill_gao

Aug 25, 2013
Well yeah just make a system dump and keep it somewhere on the pc as a backup. And you should be able to get an OTA even after root but you will loose root.

This is an useful information for me.

I have another question on OTA.
My device is bought in China which runs a CN-user firmware instead of WW-user, my question is can I flash a WW-user 8G dump then OTA?
Because I spent a lot of time on maintaining this device after it's rooted, I just do not want loose my Goolge Serviceframework installation after the new OTA.

nerotNS

Nov 8, 2011
This is an useful information for me.

I have another question on OTA.
My device is bought in China which runs a CN-user firmware instead of WW-user, my question is can I flash a WW-user 8G dump then OTA?
Because I spent a lot of time on maintaining this device after it's rooted, I just do not want loose my Goolge Serviceframework installation after the new OTA.

Well I really don't know. There have been reports where people restored WW firmware, but the device didn't work so they had to go back to their CN firmware.

YujinYuz

Apr 2, 2012
Mu
www.facebook.com
whats the solution if my phone is stuck on the asus logo? (more likely a bootloop)

I accidentally formatted the sytem/data then reboot. then now it's stuck :(

can anyone help me?

I have files which i think that can help me. hihihi

a boot.img, initrd.img, ampc.data, mmcblk1p2_root_20130724.img, mmcblk1p3_cwm.img, mmcblk1p2_root_20130326.img

Last edited:

nerotNS

Nov 8, 2011
whats the solution if my phone is stuck on the asus logo? (more likely a bootloop)

I accidentally formatted the sytem/data then reboot. then now it's stuck :(

can anyone help me?

I have files which i think that can help me. hihihi

a boot.img, initrd.img, ampc.data, mmcblk1p2_root_20130724.img, mmcblk1p3_cwm.img, mmcblk1p2_root_20130326.img

You can restore your tablet with the dumps that you can find in this thread. Use the v2 Dump utility to restore your system.

BSSgamer

Sep 11, 2013
tampa
Getting Mock Locations to work

I've rooted my ME172V - but no matter what Googled answers I find and try, I cannot get this device to access Mock Locations.

Using the tool "FakeGPS" to set a mock location, no GPS type app (Google Maps, Maps, GPS Essentials) recognize the location. I want to use TetherGPS to make this device my Navigation device tethered to my phones GPS.

this exact combination of tools (FakeGPS/Maps/GPS Essentials) work fine on another 4.1 Tablet I have access to.

Has anyone else successfully used Mock Locations on the ME172V?

Mine happens to be a US Firmware, which is definitely different than other locales.
Brian

MJBLACKEND

Sep 19, 2013
How to get kernel source code

How to get kernel source code for Memo pad me172v in order to build a new kernel with Ethernet support ? it would be better if anyone has the modules that I need to do it (usbnet.ko , Asix.ko) without building

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Windows Drivers

I think I found the usb drivers to connect to the pc.
    if any1 want them here they are.

just install them manually.

my adb now shows the device :p

maybe this is a step closer to root etc.
    Now I know why the battery life is so horrible after the second OTA update.. I just check using CPUspy (you can download from play store for free). I open CPU spy and leave the tablet in sleep mode (the screen turn off). Leave it for half hour. After half hour, check again CPUspy and the tablet not goes into DEEP SLEEP mode but the processor is at its maximum 1008 Mhz for all time. Thus, although you not using the tablet, the processor is eating the battery. If you leave the tablet, the battery will drain out. I think Asus must give us update as soon as possible to cope with this problem. Before second update, tablet is okay and goes to DEEP SLEEP easily. Now, the only thing you can do is to shutdown your tablet if you not using it.
    I think I found the usb drivers to connect to the pc.
    if any1 want them here they are.

just install them manually.

my adb now shows the device :p

maybe this is a step closer to root etc.

Awesome good job! Anyway has anyone tried doing adb reboot bootloader?
    EDIT: I've been talking to ASUS, and they might give me a factory image for this tablet. If they do I will try out every root method know to mankind :D I hope that they will help us.

Sent from my LG-P350 using xda premium
    Guyz, need some help here. Just now I was trying the adb commad reboot to bootloader on my tab and now it stuck in "No USB cable connected" screen. Even I restart my tab it is still the same. Anyone can help me?

The same happened to me when I tried doing adb reboot fastboot. You tablet is currently in apx mode, a special download mode which is used to flash factory images. Similar to odin on Samsung devices. Now he problem is we don't have the factory image nor the tools which we csn use to flash. It happened because you tried to boot in a nonexistent partition ( or what it thinks is nonexistent anyway) and so it got in a loop. You'll have to take it to service. You can use the warranty just say you were playing a game (if they ask say shadowgun or any other heavy game such as galaxy on fire) and tell them that the tablet turned off on it's own. You say you though it was the empty battery so you plugged it in. After that you noticed this screen. Also say that you tried turning it on and off via the button,as well as the restart button. They will take it in for warranty but more likely they will just give you a new one (they did to me). For now then we know that rebooting to bootloader is also dangerous. I'm still waiting for ASUS' response and I'll post an update as soon as they say something.

Sent from my ASUS ME172V using XDA Premium HD app

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

UPDATE: Global ASUS responded saying *they are not sure* whether they can give me an image or not and that it is best for me to contact ASUS in my country. I'll do that later since I'm in school now...

Sent from my ASUS ME172V using XDA Premium HD app
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone