• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] How to Root htc legend

Search This thread

chejaber

Oct 22, 2009
Ramallah
Dear Memeber
i find that my htc legend is un rooted and i need to root it to install a room to it i try many ways i find other the internet and it doesn't success to do it so am look for how and the way to root it
and will be thankful for you

smithchipz

Apr 5, 2012
Melbourne
-Unlock the boot loader using HTCDev
-Use HTCSuperTools v3 to gain root access
-Flash ClockworkMod Recovery
-Flash any ROM you want.

These are the basic steps. I might write up an updated, more detailed guide for others when I get back to a computer.

Sent from my Legend using XDA

Reactions: surfin8

jc36

May 29, 2012
Bangalore
Go to http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/
Register, select your device and unlock the bootloader

Get HTC Super Tools from
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1343114
Run it, do options 1 and 3, in that order, to root your phone

Get Clockwork Recovery Mod from
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1290841
Use 1st step for S-OFF method to install ClockworkRecovery

Boot into Recovery mode and take a backup of your ROM

Download the ROM of your choice and copy it to your SD card

Boot into Recovery Mode, do a data wipe/factory reset and a cache wipe

Select Install from zip in Recovery, navigate to your ROM in SD Card and install it. Hope this helps.

This is a long process, at least for the first timers. You may get stuck at various places, please let us know if you do :)

chejaber

Oct 22, 2009
Ramallah
Unlock the boot loader using HTCDev

i download this two items and i try to root it but it dosen't work with me or maybe i did something wrong
what is the steps that i have to follow by using them

and thanks for your replies
Regards

chejaber

Oct 22, 2009
Ramallah
sometimes it says like this

C:\Android>fastboot oem get_identifier_token
< waiting for device >

and it stuck for along time and nothing changed

and other times when i press power button for the fastboot it change to be like this

(bootloader) [ERR] Command error !!!
OKAY [ 0.008s]
finished. total time: 0.008s

C:\Android>fastboot oem get_identifier_token
FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))
finished. total time: 4.670s

smithchipz

Apr 5, 2012
Melbourne
All I can think of is that you should start again reading every step carefully.

Also, jc36 that's a great guide :)

xdadufus

Jun 12, 2012
clarify jc36 clockwork recovery mod step

I need to clarify something important for the "Get Clockwork Recovery Mod step which says to follow the 1st step for S-OFF method to install ClockworkRecovery.

On the linked page http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1290841

Where it says the following:

"How to use S-OFF user

Download file and move on adb fastboot folder"​

Does "move on adb fastboot folder" mean, put the file into the folder? And if so where is the folder?

There is no such folder: "adb fastboot folder"?

Does it mean:

1. put it in the Android folder created (C:\android) to hold the files instructed by HTC Dev for unlocking the bootloader?

2. Or put it in the android-sdk folder, somewhere? May be the Platform Tools folder where adb.exe exists?

Thanks to anyone who can help clarify this step for me

xdadufus

Jun 12, 2012
Thanks again

Thanks for clarifying that. As you can imagine I am a noob. It would be awesome if the brief procedure by jc36 could be expanded upon into an exact step-by-step (hand-holding) for all the noobs out there. Jumping back and forth between the forum links can get confusing -- especially some of the posts are old... leaving one wonder if the instructions are outdated etc!

May be I will do it if I get through this safely....

smithchipz

Apr 5, 2012
Melbourne
Thanks for clarifying that. As you can imagine I am a noob. It would be awesome if the brief procedure by jc36 could be expanded upon into an exact step-by-step (hand-holding) for all the noobs out there. Jumping back and forth between the forum links can get confusing -- especially some of the posts are old... leaving one wonder if the instructions are outdated etc!

May be I will do it if I get through this safely....

Brief is good :p although I do understand how a noob would want a step-by-step guide. In relation to date, none of the links I gave you were really outdated. The datestamp at the top of the thread might say '6th October 2011, 10:00 AM' but if you look at the bottom of the post it'll say something like 'Last edited by (username); 21st March 2012 at 09:32 AM' on threads/posts that get updated. Welcome to the Legend forums! :D

xdadufus

Jun 12, 2012
Further Clarification

I am continuing with my quest to clarify and document the whole jc36 procedure accurately.

1. After you have unlocked the bootloader are there any mode changes to be made before running SuperTools?

2. After running SuperTools, following the 1st step for S-OFF Clockwork Recovery Mod how do you put the phone into "fastboot" mode? Does the phone have to be disconnected again, powered down, restart with volume held down, highlighting Fastboot then press Power button and reconnecting to computer? Is this the procedure or is there another way while it still connected to the computer?

3. Continueing with Clockwork Recovery Mod code where it says:

"In fastboot mode:

Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery recovery_legend_5.0.2.8.img"​

I'm guessing the code above is for command prompt for the c:\android directory as done previously for HTC Dev unlocking of the bootloader?

Open up command prompt. ( Start> Run> Type CMD,).
Command Prompt: cd c:\Android)
Type in Command Prompt:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery recovery_legend_5.0.2.8.img

Correct?

4. After completing Clockwork recovery Mod it says to "Boot into Recovery mode and take a backup of your ROM" -- again do you disconnect the phone to do this and boot into the bootloader to select Recovery mode? And how to you backup? Is it to an SD card or is the phone connected to the computer to take the backup to your hardrive?

Thank you to all in advance who take the time to go over these questions.

smithchipz

Apr 5, 2012
Melbourne
1. By mode changes I'm assuming you mean something like enabling USB debugging which is definitely recommended.
2.You get into fastboot mode by rebooting into the bootloader (Hold volume down+trackball+power button). Fastboot is the first selected option so all you have to do is press the power button to choose it and then it will go into fastboot mode
3.Yes in command prompt you navigate to the folder that has adb.exe, fastboot.exe and the recovery image and then carry out those commands
4.If you've flashed a ROM that supports it then in phone options(hold down power button) you can select Reboot and then Recovery. Otherwise to get to recovery you would have to go through the bootloader. To backup you go to Backup and Restore in CWM and select Backup or alternatively you can use ROM Manager to do a backup. The phone doesn't have to be disconnected and the backups are made to the micro SD Card.

xdadufus

Jun 12, 2012
run in to trouble at the beginning

I have run into an error with the command provided with HTC Dev Unlock Bootloader.

I have followed all instructions very carefully. When in command prompt I get this error after entering:

fastboot oem get_identifier_token

<bootloader> [ERR] Command error !!!

I am in the android directory in c:\android and have the three files there:
adb.exe
adbWinApi.dll
fastboot (which I extracted from an older version of SDK as instructed by HTC because it doesn't exist in the latest SDK software)

xdadufus

Jun 12, 2012
bootloader now unlocked successfully

I just flashed the RUU that HTC Dev recommended for my phone, the version it should have before attempting to unlock the bootloader.

My phone originally had this updated version anyway so I never updated it on my first attempt.

After reading the forums here for people having similar issues I flashed their recommended RUU for the Legend and from that point on the command in command prompt worked. I have now unlocked the bootloader ... :)

xdadufus

Jun 12, 2012
what about gapps?

I finally rooted my phone and flashed cm7.2 ROM successfully after some nail biting experiences... it is not as simple as the instructions posted earlier in this forum make it appear... There were some issues I ran into. I will post an explanation of how I resolved them soon.

What good is a new android ROM without essential Google apps? I know they are not packaged due to licensing but I can not find a reasonable explanation of how to get them on my phone. I thought it would be simple but it is not. Right now I can not download any apps...

I read the gapps packages should be installed during the flashing of the ROM... that point is missing from the instructions here! So what now? Do I have to run through the process of flashing the ROM again along with the gapps package this time?

I tried installing the latest Google Play app but it would not connect to the server -- whatever that means -- after entering in my google account.

Is there any way to get the apps downloaded directly to my computer so I can copy them to the SD card? I did find a couple of solutions to do this but you need to enter google account details and some id number for the phone which I can not find... what is the identifier for the phone and where?

Any assistance on this would be greatly appreciated because at this point the whole new fresh ROM is useless...

smithchipz

Apr 5, 2012
Melbourne
All the latest Gapps packages can be found here. Use the 'gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip' package if you're running Gingerbread and 'gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip' if you're running ICS.

icanttinkofaname

Feb 18, 2012
Dublin
I need a bit more help please!

I have had the legend for ages and wanted to breath new life into it. I am using a ssensation as my everyday phone and that was a doddle to root compared to this!

I have gotten as far as flashing recovery. I dl'd the S-OFF .img from here and placed it in my adb folder. I tried running the adb command and only got as far as
"fastboot flash recovery" when
"error: neither -p product specified or ANDROID_PRODUCT_OUT set" shows up.
Any help? the HTCdev and Supertools seemed to go flawlessly for me. My HBOOT was 1.01 and HTCdev changed it to 1.02. It also now has *** LOCKED (OOW) *** at the top. I'm still S-ON too. What's going wrong? There is no su app in the app drawer like there was when I rooted my sensation. do I have to start over? any help would be great!

ranger4740

Jan 17, 2011
Melbourne
I need a bit more help please!

I have had the legend for ages and wanted to breath new life into it. I am using a ssensation as my everyday phone and that was a doddle to root compared to this!

I have gotten as far as flashing recovery. I dl'd the S-OFF .img from here and placed it in my adb folder. I tried running the adb command and only got as far as
"fastboot flash recovery" when
"error: neither -p product specified or ANDROID_PRODUCT_OUT set" shows up.
Any help? the HTCdev and Supertools seemed to go flawlessly for me. My HBOOT was 1.01 and HTCdev changed it to 1.02. It also now has *** LOCKED (OOW) *** at the top. I'm still S-ON too. What's going wrong? There is no su app in the app drawer like there was when I rooted my sensation. do I have to start over? any help would be great!

You do see the words "locked"? that means its "locked" you need to follow the steps provided by htcdev in the email they would have sent you including the unlock.bin file with out those steps you can't do anything, its like its still not rooted.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Register, select your device and unlock the bootloader

Get HTC Super Tools from
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1343114

Boot into Recovery mode and take a backup of your ROM

Download the ROM of your choice and copy it to your SD card

Boot into Recovery Mode, do a data wipe/factory reset and a cache wipe

Select Install from zip in Recovery, navigate to your ROM in SD Card and install it. Hope this helps.

This is a long process, at least for the first timers. You may get stuck at various places, please let us know if you do :)
    -Unlock the boot loader using HTCDev
    -Flash ClockworkMod Recovery
    -Flash any ROM you want.

These are the basic steps. I might write up an updated, more detailed guide for others when I get back to a computer.

Thanks Jc36, i have done step one and two per your phost and i believe my phone is rooted ( i can installl titanium root version and it works fiNE). i'd appreciate someone clarify jc36's third step for me (aka noob)

Use 1st step for S-OFF method to install ClockworkRecovery​

on the linked page, it states:

This official recovery from http://www.clockworkmod.com for s-on and s-off htc legend

For S-ON : recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-legend.zip

For S-OFF: recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-legend.img
    which one should i use? the one For S-ON or the one for S-OFF? i ask because on my phones fast boot screen, it says:
    ***unlocked***
    LEGEND PVT SHIP S-ON

if i use the S-On recovery CWM, will i be able to flash say CM7.2 on my Legend later on as per normal?

many thanks.

Use s-off only.

Sent from my Legend using xda app-developers app
    Managed to get rooted, just unlocked bootloader with htcdev, applied clockworkmod recovery with S-OFF methord and flashed a cyanogenmod 7.2 mod for legend.
    How I got my HTC legend loaded..Expanded jc36

I'm new here - first post:eek:. Normally just leech forums but thought this might help someone somewhere save a bit of reading.
    This process worked for me your mileage may vary...

This is jc36 awesome instructions, slightly elaborated on.
    I claim no ownership of anything below, it has all been pulled from other post/sites.
    I’ve only put in some extra details to make it easier to follow.

This should go without saying but all of these instructions are based on :
    1) You having the android SDK installed. http://developer.android.com/sdk/exploring.html Also on some OS versions you may need to update your System PATH variable to include the install directory of the SDK.
    2) You should also have HTC Sync installed
    3) Legend USB drivers on your system.
    4) The knowledge you could loop or brick your phone

Register on the site and select your device. The HTC site says to check your version of ROM but you should just install their RUU listed for your supplier. Mine matched the version listed in the chart and it gave the (bootloader) [ERR] Command error !!! with fastboot oem get_identifier_token with that version. So I updated to their RUU and all went well.
    Follow the instructions on the site and unlock the bootloader by using the Unlock_code.bin and PBxxxxxxx_Legend_Froyo_S_hboot_1.02.0000_R.exe files they provide. Remember to have HTC sync installed on your computer and running.

Get HTC Super Tools from
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1343114
    When you download this app you may get a virus notification, this is because the file roots your phone! Hopefully you know this because this is why you are downloading this application.
    My antivirus detected it as Zerg Rush exploit. So downloading/installing with anti-virus disabled is your best bet from sources listed above.

yik7p.jpg

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1290841

I used these two commands from the above tutorial.
    1) adb reboot bootloader
    2) fastboot flash recovery recovery_legend_5.0.2.8.img

Enter the first command at the DOS prompt and wait for it to reach the Boatloader screen on your phone. Then enter the second “fastboot” command at the Dos prompt ensuring the recovery file is in the same folder as fastboot.exe. Ie C:\Android

Boot into Recovery mode and take a backup of your ROM by holding down the volume key and the On/Off button, use the optical track mouse button to select your choice from the menu items and the back button is still the back button.

Download the ROM of your choice and copy it to the root of your SD card. I downloaded 3 different ones just in case, (7,9,10 versions) and keep on the SD card.
    Also copy tiny gapps to the root of your SD.

On reboot an Android application Superuser SDD had an update for me, which I did as a precaution which may not be necessary.

Boot into Recovery Mode, do a data wipe/factory reset and a cache wipe.

Select Install from zip in Recovery, navigate to your ROM in SD Card and install it. Once it is installed, select install from zip again and choose the tiny gapps from your sd card as well that is for the version of ROM you are installing.

Just remember for this section this nukes everything on the sd card. So have a backup. If you are unsure of what this does or the commands you may want to read the tutorials a few times or do the default settings.

Once you have rooted and loaded your new rom, you’ll want to load apps but still be restricted by the size of the HTC internal memory etc. So look for an app called S2E and if you have $5 buy the gold version to help out the dev.
    This app can mount the sd card as ext 3 or ext4(preferred) giving you the additional space you need. You can be lazy and just partition an ext3 from CWR advanced and use s2e to move applications to it.

The faster the speed of the card the better your user experience will be. Busybox is an app that will help with creating an ext4 partition. Tutorial here is based for CM7 http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1477996
    But should work for other versions as well.

Mini partition tool will also work http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1072369

Hope this helps.

This is a long process, at least for the first timers.
    You may get stuck at various places, please let us know if you do

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

http://madteam.co/news/2011/10/simple2ext-guide-on-cm7/
    This is a better guide

Once you have rooted and loaded your new rom, you’ll want to load apps but still be restricted by the size of the HTC internal memory etc. So look for an app called S2E and if you have $5 buy the gold version to help out the dev.
    This app can mount the sd card as ext 3 or ext4(preferred) giving you the additional space you need. You can be lazy and just partition an ext3 from CWR advanced and use s2e to move applications to it.

The faster the speed of the card the better your user experience will be. Busybox is an app that will help with creating an ext4 partition. Tutorial here is based for CM7 http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1477996
    But should work for other versions as well.

Mini partition tool will also work http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1072369

Hope this helps.

This is a long process, at least for the first timers.
    You may get stuck at various places, please let us know if you do[/QUOTE]