[Q] How to Root the Samsung Galaxy Prevail?

Search This thread

chinniwhites

May 3, 2011
I am a c++ programmer by trade who is just now looking into android phones not only for communication but also for development. I picked up the Samsung Galaxy from Boost Mobile in order to first learn how to root, flash ROMs, and then get into dev.

My first goal is to root the phone so i can use it as a wifi hotspot. I first tried to download quick settings to see if i could get the wifi hopspot that way. I can see the hidden option for wifi hotspot but everytime I press it to turn it on, the phone disables the wifi totally. I then tried z4root, not root. I tried gingerbreak and it did not work. I would try to use superoneclick but cannot find usb drivers that will work with the galaxy prevail while its in usb debugging mode.

Any advice on how to get this phone rooted would great. Can you also list the prevail as one of the device supported on this site to spur development?

Reactions: martinrzeduardo

shabbypenguin

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 30, 2010
xda wont make a forum for this device, its not one of the big 4 carriers. as a prepaid phone they dont take kindly to them.. sorry just the law of the land.

on that note there is a custom rom (the dev is a real jerk tho ;P ) so far its been posted to a lot of smaller but big name android forums that do have a prevail forum...

wyllem

Jun 9, 2010
Dont Upadate !!!!!!

Hey I Just update one of my Prevails with OTA and the one click root wont work on EE14 So if your on ED13 stay or you wont be able to root till this one get figured out

Reactions: New Optimus

bluesbynumber

Aug 25, 2010
Root undone!

Man! my phone was rooted all of a day before Boost hit me with that update. After waiting all that time for a root now it's gone! I hope all you awesome development guys who helped us the first time will come through again soon!

armeN0317

Jun 3, 2011
success!

I updated my galaxy prevail tonight and performed the new one click root. Worked like a charm so now I have the new updates and still rooted!

dxxvi

Dec 18, 2007
xda wont make a forum for this device, its not one of the big 4 carriers. as a prepaid phone they dont take kindly to them.. sorry just the law of the land.

on that note there is a custom rom (the dev is a real jerk tho ;P ) so far its been posted to a lot of smaller but big name android forums that do have a prevail forum...
Is there really such a law? Optimums V from Virgin Mobile is supported very well here with bumblebee and aosp roms Hope that will happen to this Samsung galaxy prevail.

Rooted with custom rom shabbymod Loaded 0.9. Tried to install Slim 0.9, after daemon starts up I get an "error:device not found". one click root uses same method and also gives me same error. anyone have any idea whats wrong? and yes I am 100% sure usb debugging is enabled. and I have tried rebooting phone and starting the process when I see the samsung logo. any help would be much appreciated

haliphax

Dec 13, 2010
oddnetwork.org
Do it when you see the logo with "Prevail" in it, not the first Samsung logo (i.e., not the initial boot logo).

I have a question -- if there are custom ROMs, why is there no stock ROM? What in the hell did you build them from??! I'm too scared to put any ROMs on this phone without any way to go back to stock.

Try Z4root app I think this might work considering there arent any nam locks on this phone go to 4 shared and look for the apk files as this app is no longer available in the market! I have used this app on the following devices, htc hero, sprint zio, samsung moment, droid 1, droid 2, &droid global!

Just tried Z4root and no go. did a reboot and still nada. guess they outcoded me for the day. I will achieve Root success. any other Ideas, how bout SuperOneClick. I have that and RdLite, we don't give up around here. Any input????

darkandlovely

Mar 6, 2011
Rooted my galaxy prevail

I still have the file i used to get rooted don't quite recall where i found it but if i can look around and find the website again i will update this post and put it here until then all i can do is upload what i used to get rooted.

Update:

Found it, follow this link

http://androidforums.com/galaxy-pre...oot-samsung-prevail-replenish-shabbyfied.html

It will tell you what to do and it also provides a link to files needed to root. I had to do it twice the 2nd time i was rooted and able to install and use wireless tether for root users.

Last edited:

weinerwad3000

Feb 9, 2011
Flagstaff, az
I have a prevail that will not detect that it's connected to the computer. I have all the drivers but when I plug the phone in it vibrates and charges but doesn't prompt for mass storage or anything. The computer doesn't detect it at all. I have the right cable too. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

proudtexan

Sep 28, 2012
about.me
Dont seem like my samsung galaxy prevail from boost is rooting right

ok i tried rooting my samsung galaxy prevail from Boost. With Z4root then i checked too see if it was a proper root with root checker basic. It said i dont have a proper root. My android os is 2.3.6 Gingerbread. I dont know if im doing something wrong or what. Would their be a different method or program for doing this with my phone and OS

New Optimus

ok i tried rooting my samsung galaxy prevail from Boost. With Z4root then i checked too see if it was a proper root with root checker basic. It said i dont have a proper root. My android os is 2.3.6 Gingerbread. I dont know if im doing something wrong or what. Would their be a different method or program for doing this with my phone and OS

Yes with the new updates you need to root it differently.

Check out this thread over on android forums, and check others in that section.

http://androidforums.com/galaxy-prevail-all-things-root/375550-odin-return-phone-stock-factory.html

proudtexan

Sep 28, 2012
about.me
well what i saw there is a bunch of files etc too download and sorta for what reason. But i really dont understand what there used for etc. I really new at this and guess dont understand the steps and what i need too do etc grr. Seem like everything is different for every android phone which makes it more confusing.

Shawn

Aug 26, 2012
Louisville
I had a Samsung Galaxy Precedent. Same phone basically but for straight talk. Rooting should work the same, but I never found any ROMs.

Sent from my SGH-I997 using xda app-developers app

New Optimus

well what i saw there is a bunch of files etc too download and sorta for what reason. But i really dont understand what there used for etc. I really new at this and guess dont understand the steps and what i need too do etc grr. Seem like everything is different for every android phone which makes it more confusing.

What the files there do is put a fully rooted stock, or modified your choice rom on your phone.
Your phone can use odin, a program for samsung phones to bypass the normal android system. You will need to put your phone in download mode, with power off press camera/volume down/ and power at the same time screen will say downloading on it.

knothead6666

Oct 13, 2013
ny
rooted g360p

I am a c++ programmer by trade who is just now looking into android phones not only for communication but also for development. I picked up the Samsung Galaxy from Boost Mobile in order to first learn how to root, flash ROMs, and then get into dev.

My first goal is to root the phone so i can use it as a wifi hotspot. I first tried to download quick settings to see if i could get the wifi hopspot that way. I can see the hidden option for wifi hotspot but everytime I press it to turn it on, the phone disables the wifi totally. I then tried z4root, not root. I tried gingerbreak and it did not work. I would try to use superoneclick but cannot find usb drivers that will work with the galaxy prevail while its in usb debugging mode.

Any advice on how to get this phone rooted would great. Can you also list the prevail as one of the device supported on this site to spur development?

i finally got this sm g360p rooted..........

Top Liked Posts