• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] htc desire s - ruu error 131

Search This thread

jchverviers

Mar 16, 2012
Hi all,

First of all, i'd like to thank all active members on the subforum "Desire S" of xda dev.

I've bought recently a HTC DESIRE S (branded as VODAFONE if i see correctly the logo at boot, and the cid means it's a VODAFONE.DE)

(1) I can succesfully root the phone with the zergRush & misc_version.

But once, i want to RUU my device to get a lower hboot version.
I keep getting error 131 from the RUU.

Here's the fastboot getvar all

C:\Documents and Settings\tst>fastboot getvar all
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 2.00.0002
(bootloader) version-baseband: 3822.10.08.04_M
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 1.27.405.6
(bootloader) serialno: SH18JTJXXXXX
(bootloader) imei: 3589670446XXXXX
(bootloader) product: saga
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-7230
(bootloader) modelid: PG8810000
(bootloader) cidnum: VODAP102
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 3923mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: ebd3df7d
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 12
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.000s

I use these RUUs: RUU_Saga_HTC_Europe_1.47.401.4_Radio_20.28I.30.085AU_3805.06.02.03_M_release_199410_signed
or
RUU_Saga_HTC_Europe_1.28.401.1_Radio_20.28b.30.0805U_38.03.02.11_M_release_177977_signed

And i keep getting ERROR 131 WRONG ID.

I tried to set CID to 11111111 but i can't "write" the cid to the phone.

Whataimdoingwrong?

If someone would give me ideas or solutions, i'd be thankful.

(2)
Currently the HTC DESIRE S is running the "stock" firmware i guess.
Android: 2.3.5
HTC Sense: 3.0
Software Ver.: 2.10.161.3

The stock firmware is really nice, and fit to my need. But i encounter a very annoying problem the wireless interface.

The wireless interface can active one time. And then can't activate later, keep getting "Error" as Wireless status, and sometimes the phone crashes and reboots. . I googled and found out some "workaround" like disabling the CDMA and just using GSM mode.
It doesn't work. So is it a hardware issue (which i doubt) ?
That s why i want to downgrade my hboot to be able to CM7.1 and see if the wireless driver/kernel is better or not.

TIA,

jch

Last edited:

foX2delta

Nov 23, 2011
@jchverviers

You need to create a goldcard to install a RUU which is not meant for your phone.

Things you will need and to do

-A memory card (preferable a spare one), and also preferable smaller that 2GB
-Backup all the info on the memory card, we will be formatting it!

Step 1) Get memory card CID and goldcard image
-Insert the memory card you wish to make into a goldcard into the phone.
-Go to Settings/SD and Phone storage on the phone and select 'unmount SD card'. Once the card is unmounted select 'Erase SD card'.
-Download and install 'Goldcard Helper' from the market.
-The app will run and give two CID's which are all ready reversed, write down the mmc2 number.
-Go to psas.revskills.de website here and enter your mmc2 CID and download the goldcard image (goldcard.img).

Step 2) Create the Goldcard
-Download 'HxD-Hex-Editor' from here and install it on your PC.
-Connect the phone to the PC in 'disk mode' i.e. view your SD card on the PC (Removable Disk).
-Open the Hex Editor (Run as Administrator if Vista/Windows 7)
-Select the 'Extra' tab and then 'Open Disk'. Under Physical Disk select your Removable Disk (your SD cad) and ensure 'Open as Read Only' is not selected and then select OK.
-Now goto the 'Extra' tab again and select 'Open Disk Image' and select the 'goldcard.img' file you downloaded early (Step 1). Press OK when prompted for Sector Size 512.

-You will now have two tabs open, one the SD card and the other the goldcard image, now to merge the two

-Go to the the goldcard.img tab and select 'Edit' then 'Select All' then 'Edit' and 'Copy'.
-Now go the you SD card tab and highlight offset 00000000 to 000000170 , and then 'Edit' and 'Paste'
-Lastly goto 'File' and select 'Save'

Allll Done......

You can also have a look here for a more modern/complex method
Or here (has a video).

jchverviers

Mar 16, 2012
@jchverviers

You need to create a goldcard to install a RUU which is not meant for your phone.

Things you will need and to do

-A memory card (preferable a spare one), and also preferable smaller that 2GB
-Backup all the info on the memory card, we will be formatting it!

Step 1) Get memory card CID and goldcard image
-Insert the memory card you wish to make into a goldcard into the phone.
-Go to Settings/SD and Phone storage on the phone and select 'unmount SD card'. Once the card is unmounted select 'Erase SD card'.
-Download and install 'Goldcard Helper' from the market.
-The app will run and give two CID's which are all ready reversed, write down the mmc2 number.
-Go to psas.revskills.de website here and enter your mmc2 CID and download the goldcard image (goldcard.img).

Step 2) Create the Goldcard
-Download 'HxD-Hex-Editor' from here and install it on your PC.
-Connect the phone to the PC in 'disk mode' i.e. view your SD card on the PC (Removable Disk).
-Open the Hex Editor (Run as Administrator if Vista/Windows 7)
-Select the 'Extra' tab and then 'Open Disk'. Under Physical Disk select your Removable Disk (your SD cad) and ensure 'Open as Read Only' is not selected and then select OK.
-Now goto the 'Extra' tab again and select 'Open Disk Image' and select the 'goldcard.img' file you downloaded early (Step 1). Press OK when prompted for Sector Size 512.

-You will now have two tabs open, one the SD card and the other the goldcard image, now to merge the two

-Go to the the goldcard.img tab and select 'Edit' then 'Select All' then 'Edit' and 'Copy'.
-Now go the you SD card tab and highlight offset 00000000 to 000000170 , and then 'Edit' and 'Paste'
-Lastly goto 'File' and select 'Save'

Allll Done......

You can also have a look here for a more modern/complex method
Or here (has a video).

Goldcard created and i try to put 1.28.401.1, when i power off the phone and rebooting in recovery "Power & Vol. down " choosing recovery the phone screen hangs on a black screen with a htc phone a red triangle.

I really need help :/

Btw my bootloader is stated as "LOCKED".
Do i have to unlock it through HTCdev.com ?

Last edited:

foX2delta

Nov 23, 2011
@jchverviers

Take a step back and make sure your head is on straight..... do some reading!

To install the RUU connect your phone to PC (leave on charge mode) and run the RUU.exe from the PC, DO NOT TRY FLASH IT IN RECOVERY.

If that doesn't work we will try extracting the rom.zip and remaing it to PG88IMG.zip.

The recovery you are seeing is the STOCK recovery, you can press the vol keys/power button so see the menu in there (can't remember exactly).

So to start, get shell root, change misc version to 1.28.401.1, then run the RUU.

If I am confused on what you are trying to say please be clear and specific, cause in post 1 you are running the ruu correctly, but now it seems you are trying to flash it in recovery, why are you even trying to get into recovery?

Last edited:

jchverviers

Mar 16, 2012
@jchverviers

Take a step back and make sure your head is on straight..... do some reading!

To install the RUU connect your phone to PC (leave on charge mode) and run the RUU.exe from the PC, DO NOT TRY FLASH IT IN RECOVERY.

If that doesn't work we will try extracting the rom.zip and remaing it to PG88IMG.zip.

The recovery you are seeing is the STOCK recovery, you can press the vol keys/power button so see the menu in there (can't remember exactly).

So to start, get shell root, change misc version to 1.28.401.1, then run the RUU.

If I am confused on what you are trying to say please be clear and specific, cause in post 1 you are running the ruu correctly, but now it seems you are trying to flash it in recovery, why are you even trying to get into recovery?

i got shell root, changed to misc_versino 1.28.401.1, then running RUU_Saga_HTC_Europe_1.28.401.1_Radio_20.28b.30.0805U_38.03.02.11_M_release_177977_signed.exe and after the process i ended up with
my phone black screen and "HTC" white logo, and for the RUU.exe i got the same error as i started this thread "ERROR[131]: ERROR ID CLIENT"

What should i do now?

Last edited:

foX2delta

Nov 23, 2011
@jchverviers

Then you never created your goldcard correctly or try a different card.

You can try my extract the rom.zip from the RUU and placing it on your SDcard, then rename it to PG88IMG.zip amd boot into the bootloader to install the RUU.

Saipro

Sep 29, 2011
Actually, there are times you need to flash stock recovery PRIOR to installing the RUU. I guess that's what I've learnt from repetitive RUU installations. ;)