[Q] I believe I have made a brick.

Search This thread

Mingo3k

Oct 25, 2010
Adelaide
Hi guys/girls of XDA.

I've been happily running my Galaxy S 2 with CM9 for some time.

I've just yesterday changed to the latest nightly. Had used the Battery Calibration market app, just so i can get the maximum use out of my extended battery (i still seemed to get regular usage out of the battery). Made sure the triangle was gone with Triangle Away. All was swell.

Untill today, I attempted to check out the beats audio plugin.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1525226

I flashed through CWM as you usually do for these things, once this was done, and rebooted fine, I noticed some niggling issues.

My SD card wasn't mounted. Mounted it again. Was working fine. My audiobook decided to crash on me, and the phone froze.

Thought it might be a good idea to get into Recovery and flash over the latest nightly again clearing the mess i put on my phone. SD wasn't mounted again, mounted and confirmed working.

Flashing of ROM would not work.
Sat at installing for about 10+ minutes.

Pulled battery.

Now i'm unable to get into Recovery or Download mode.
I believe I've Soft/Hardbricked. But I can't confirm it.

Any ideas?

(My sig isn't up to date, and i cbf updating it)

MistahBungle

Nov 7, 2011
If you can't get into download mode at all/phone won't turn on your last (slim) chance is a jig. If the jig doesn't work you have two options:-

1) JTAG repair by 3rd party repairer (probably cheaper option)
2) Repair by Samsung (probably more expensive option)

But definitely try the jig before you go down that route. You never know.

veledimusiki

Oct 5, 2011
I think usb jig will solve your problem and you can make your own usb jig indeed. It is just a 300k resistor which is soldered between the fourth and the fifth legs of a micro usb socket.

You can find lots of videos and schemes showing how to do it. I think it is better to
make your own usb jig then waiting your internet order.

I hope you can get your phone back soon.

MistahBungle

Nov 7, 2011
There's a thread in General where people have offered to let other people use their jigs. Might be worth a look to see if there's someone in Radelaide who can help, would be surprised if there isn't.

Might save you waiting for jig in the post (assuming you don't already have one/aren't confident enough to make your own); if you do borrow a jig & it works you get your phone back earlier & if it doesn't work, at least you can then focus on getting it fixed.

Looks like i'll try a JIG asap.

Then look for a JTAG repairer in adelaide.

Will keep you guys posted.

Reactions: Mingo3k

MistahBungle

Nov 7, 2011

Mingo3k

Oct 25, 2010
Adelaide
Well, after waiting on packages to arrive.

The phone will not respond to a USB Jig. (I ordered a couple, and none work, i'm on ICS bootloaders I believe, and it won't respond)

Have sent the phone off to http://www.themobilephoneclinic.com.au
(They do JTAG services in Melbourne)

I've found out something on the motherboard is fried, and they can't perform a JTAG on my phone.

Replacing the motherboard will cost about $275 to replace, so my dead phone is on it's way back to me, dead :(

Sad day.

Time to start saving for the S3 i think.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There's a thread in General where people have offered to let other people use their jigs. Might be worth a look to see if there's someone in Radelaide who can help, would be surprised if there isn't.

Might save you waiting for jig in the post (assuming you don't already have one/aren't confident enough to make your own); if you do borrow a jig & it works you get your phone back earlier & if it doesn't work, at least you can then focus on getting it fixed.

Looks like i'll try a JIG asap.

Then look for a JTAG repairer in adelaide.

Will keep you guys posted.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone