• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] [i9000 problem]Q about shared preference

Search This thread

feny_lf

Dec 13, 2010
I9000 moves the shared preferences to /dbdata/databases/[PACKAGE_NAME]/shared_prefs/[PACKAGE_NAME]_preferences.xml
For other mainstream devices, shared preferences are in /data/data/[ PACKAGE_NAME]/shared_prefs/[PACKAGE_NAME]_ preferences.xml

Everytime, when I uninstalled the application (my own or some other 3rd party's) in i9000, I found that the shared preferences won't be removed. It still exists in /dbdata/databases/...

this will lead to some serious problem: for example, I'm developing some app, and changing the shared perferences structure. when I debuged it (reinstalling, reinstalling the apps, finally I found my shared preference cannot save my configuration. everytime rebooting i9000, the configuration will be reset to the default value. When I change the configuration in UI and then look into the shard_pref xml, it never changes. The root cause is the existing xml is the old one. maybe UID even mismatched.

Is there any patch from Samsung to uninstall the apps completely? :confused:
we need remove not only the ones in /data/data but also the ones in /dbdata/databases/.
... Samsung, why do those vendors customize the phone so much?

theduckking

Aug 16, 2010
Interesting.
I have never heard of that (or a patch for that) before. But if I think about it... I am no unix expert but shouldn't you be able to mount /dbdata/databases/ into /data/data/ ? As long as the deinstallation routine has not been changed this could work^^

Edit:
Oh dear, I took a look, you're right thats really strange. I thought everything was relocated by samsung. It's not. My statement above is useless:)

Last edited:
I9000 moves the shared preferences to /dbdata/databases/[PACKAGE_NAME]/shared_prefs/[PACKAGE_NAME]_preferences.xml
For other mainstream devices, shared preferences are in /data/data/[ PACKAGE_NAME]/shared_prefs/[PACKAGE_NAME]_ preferences.xml

Everytime, when I uninstalled the application (my own or some other 3rd party's) in i9000, I found that the shared preferences won't be removed. It still exists in /dbdata/databases/...

this will lead to some serious problem: for example, I'm developing some app, and changing the shared perferences structure. when I debuged it (reinstalling, reinstalling the apps, finally I found my shared preference cannot save my configuration. everytime rebooting i9000, the configuration will be reset to the default value. When I change the configuration in UI and then look into the shard_pref xml, it never changes. The root cause is the existing xml is the old one. maybe UID even mismatched.

Is there any patch from Samsung to uninstall the apps completely? :confused:
we need remove not only the ones in /data/data but also the ones in /dbdata/databases/.
... Samsung, why do those vendors customize the phone so much?

Yes it's the sammy's "lagfix" since 2.2.1.

Uninstall apps with Titanium, it clears everything ! That's the only way i find (apart manual method...)

neoMJ

Sep 18, 2007
vidtrim.blogspot.com
This is a serious bug.

I have encountered this too and it makes the SharedPreferences completely useless.

Uninstalling and the re-installing an app will cause the app to never be able to change preferences again!

Is there a workaround for this that we can code in our apps?