[Q] I'm new to this world. How do I install apps from here?

Search This thread

ilyabyk83

Feb 26, 2009
Holland PA USA
Hi. I hope I'm posting this in the right section, but how would I install apps on my T-Mo MyTouch 3G Slide, that are offered on this or any other forum? Do I download them to my PC and first start the installation there, somehow? Or how would I do it??

I'm very new to this whole Android world. I just bought my phone.

Thanx for the help!!

SBS_

Jul 13, 2007
Bergen
Applications in this forum usually comes in the form of .apk's. An apk is an installer file for Android and must be run from the phone.

So you have two options when you find programs here on this forum:
1. You download the file on your PC, connect the phone to your PC and mount the SD-card, copy the file over and run it from your phone
2. Browse to the forums via your phone and download them directly and run them

It can be done via dropbox, chrome2phone, email etc as well if you want to

ilyabyk83

Feb 26, 2009
Holland PA USA
Applications in this forum usually comes in the form of .apk's. An apk is an installer file for Android and must be run from the phone.

So you have two options when you find programs here on this forum:
1. You download the file on your PC, connect the phone to your PC and mount the SD-card, copy the file over and run it from your phone
2. Browse to the forums via your phone and download them directly and run them

It can be done via dropbox, chrome2phone, email etc as well if you want to
THANK YOU!!!!

The file that I download, copy in to any folder (Programs ect...) on to your SD card and run the file from the phone, correct? What is the format of that file needs to be? It won't be an *.exe right? What format do I make sure the correct file is? Is there any other ways? Just asking :)
Thank You!!

SBS_

Jul 13, 2007
Bergen
You can put it anywhere on the SD-card, just be sure you have some sort of file manager from the market and remember where you put it ;) After that you just run it and it should install (if you get several options when you run the file, the correct one to run it with is "Package Installer").

The files will be in the format programname.apk

ilyabyk83

Feb 26, 2009
Holland PA USA
You can put it anywhere on the SD-card, just be sure you have some sort of file manager from the market and remember where you put it ;) After that you just run it and it should install (if you get several options when you run the file, the correct one to run it with is "Package Installer").

The files will be in the format programname.apk

THANK YOU!! So I look for and download only *.apk files??