[Q] in-depth explanation of files in rom.zip

Search This thread

ldrifta

Mar 15, 2011
Lynn, Mass
hey guys.. i been looking around everywhere to try and get a good explanation of the files inside the rom.zip... like what the files are in the META-INF? and what are all the files inside the system folder? how do i know what to change and what not to change.. lol sorry but if anyone could possibly give me a more in depth explanation i would appreciate it greatly!!!

rattking

May 4, 2010
The Cloud
Hi
The files in META-INF are just that, meta files they contain information about the files that are part of the rom.. specifically CERT.* and MANIFEST.MF contain the SHA1 hash of each file in the rom when you flash the rom your recovery environment hashes each file and checks it against the manifest. These files are created during the signing process.

META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script tells the recovery environment what to actually do. such as format /system then extract system to /system on the phone, set permissions for each file and the correct kernel to your boot.img then reflash it

the files in /system are the actual operating system and are in a UNIX-ish layout
executable's in bin & xbin, system apks in app, configuration files in etc, libraries in lib, ringtones and bootanim in media

ldrifta

Mar 15, 2011
Lynn, Mass
Hi
The files in META-INF are just that, meta files they contain information about the files that are part of the rom.. specifically CERT.* and MANIFEST.MF contain the SHA1 hash of each file in the rom when you flash the rom your recovery environment hashes each file and checks it against the manifest. These files are created during the signing process.

META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script tells the recovery environment what to actually do. such as format /system then extract system to /system on the phone, set permissions for each file and the correct kernel to your boot.img then reflash it

the files in /system are the actual operating system and are in a UNIX-ish layout
executable's in bin & xbin, system apks in app, configuration files in etc, libraries in lib, ringtones and bootanim in media
wow rattking thank you very much!! that was the best description anyone has ever given me!!! lol that was very helpful!! is there a place where you learn this from? or did you just figure it out as you went..?