[Q] [INFO] HTC One developer edition on T-mobile

srilesh

Jan 25, 2012
Jersey City
Phone - HTC One unlocked developer edition 64GB
SIM - T-mobile Unlimited Data package

I had a Google Nexus S and never had problems with data connectivity in Manhattan, NYC. But with the HTC One, the network keeps switching between 3G, EDGE and HSPA. The result - very embarrassing data connectivity - browsing, news feed sync, podcasts, and such.

Has anyone else experienced this issue ? Is there a workaround ?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

... Srilesh

kirdroid

Feb 21, 2011
Seattle
Phone - HTC One unlocked developer edition 64GB
SIM - T-mobile Unlimited Data package

I had a Google Nexus S and never had problems with data connectivity in Manhattan, NYC. But with the HTC One, the network keeps switching between 3G, EDGE and HSPA. The result - very embarrassing data connectivity - browsing, news feed sync, podcasts, and such.

Has anyone else experienced this issue ? Is there a workaround ?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

... Srilesh
Well surprise surprise...please get a TMobile version which has the AWS 1700 band for 3G/HSPA+ ... the developer edition doesn't have that band and you are got get bad reception/speed. If you are in 1900 refarmed market it will be ok but still that is not covering enough market.
People are trying flashing TMo radio to get the AWS 1700 band but i think it still doesn't work.

Reactions: srilesh

expertzero1

Sep 28, 2011
So Cal, California
Developer edition is the same as the international edition. If the signal is week, it will fall back to the other speeds 3g. So yeah like kirdroid said get the tmo version for better compatibility

Sent from my HTC One using xda premium

thebigears

Apr 8, 2009
Seattle
Well surprise surprise...please get a TMobile version which has the AWS 1700 band for 3G/HSPA+ ... the developer edition doesn't have that band and you are got get bad reception/speed. If you are in 1900 refarmed market it will be ok but still that is not covering enough market.
People are trying flashing TMo radio to get the AWS 1700 band but i think it still doesn't work.
Been going back and forth between the Dev version and the Tmo one, looking like I'll stick with Tmo then.

However, think there's any chance flashing a new radio will eventually be ironed out?

kirdroid

Feb 21, 2011
Seattle
Been going back and forth between the Dev version and the Tmo one, looking like I'll stick with Tmo then.

However, think there's any chance flashing a new radio will eventually be ironed out?
I think eventually it will be figured out probably once s-off is achieved...but not sure when that will happen. I guess there is a thread in TMobile One forum tracking this.

AndrewAmazed

Jun 26, 2010
Southern California
Think there's a little misinformation there as the Dev Edition has the AWS 1700/2100 band... and definitely supports T-mobile's LTE bands.

kirdroid

Feb 21, 2011
Seattle
Think there's a little misinformation there as the Dev Edition has the AWS 1700/2100 band... and definitely supports T-mobile's LTE bands.
Yes it has the LTE AWS bands but not the AWS 1700 HSPA+ bands to get the TMobile fast HSPA downloads, both are different.There is no misinformation ... lots of people get confused with the LTE bands. Below are the specs...the missing band is in the HSPA/WCDMA section, if it had the AWS 1700 band here then it was perfect.

HSPA/WCDMA: 850/1900/2100 MHz
GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
LTE: 700/850/AWS/1900 MHz (US)

stevedebi

Sep 7, 2005
Los Angeles
Yes it has the LTE AWS bands but not the AWS 1700 HSPA+ bands to get the TMobile fast HSPA downloads, both are different.There is no misinformation ... lots of people get confused with the LTE bands. Below are the specs...the missing band is in the HSPA/WCDMA section, if it had the AWS 1700 band here then it was perfect.

Correct. If I it had the aws band I would have ordered the dev edition.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using xda premium

srilesh

Jan 25, 2012
Jersey City
The dev edition offered by HTC in the US has the below bands

I picked it up from the the HTC shopamerica page for HTC One Dev Edition

Kik, is right about it.

As you mentioned, I could wait for T-Mo LTE bands to be available in NYC or I could switch to ATT.

srilesh

Jan 25, 2012
Jersey City
Thank Kir. How do I find if NYC & Jersey City are refarmed to 1900 ?

srilesh

Jan 25, 2012
Jersey City

Yeah, stick with the T-mo version, but maybe you would want to check when T-mo rolls out LTE in your region. Definitely the storage 64GB is important as the HTC One does not have a SD slot.

srilesh

Jan 25, 2012
Jersey City
Used code *#*#4636#*#* to display the phone information. And it allowed me to choose the type of network. It provides more than in the Settings - Mobile Data - Network Mode.

I have chosen GSM Auto PRL and I do see an improvement in the reception. Not sure how it works but can anyone explain?

Sent from my HTC One using xda premium