[Q] Is it necessary to unlock the bootloader before installing a custom ROM?

Search This thread

nashton

Feb 13, 2013
Good morning/afternoon everyone,

I have the lovely new Tab Pro 8.4 and would like to update to CM11. However, I cannot unlock the bootloader (multiple computers have been tried, in Odin mode, adb devices sees the unit, but fastboot does not. I did get a TWRP recovering installed).

Is it necessary to unlock the bootloader before installing CM11?

Many thanks in advance for any answers. I have looked around a great deal, and it isn't clear to me from the many overlapping set of instructions if this is really necessary or not.

Rutr

Aug 4, 2012

I have the lovely new Tab Pro 8.4 and would like to update to CM11. However, I cannot unlock the bootloader (multiple computers have been tried, in Odin mode, adb devices sees the unit, but fastboot does not. I did get a TWRP recovering installed).

Many thanks in advance for any answers. I have looked around a great deal, and it isn't clear to me from the many overlapping set of instructions if this is really necessary or not.

No, you can just flash. No need to unlock bootloader, because you set the knox bit by flashing recovery by odin.

Reactions: Shyonnu

Rutr

Aug 4, 2012
Does flashing to cm 11 void warranty

Setting knox (by flashing) "may" void your warranty. But in many cases users got repairs by warranty service, even if the device is rooted. My HTC ONE X also rooted has been repaired by warranty service for free. They told me, that my device was rooted, but the issue was hardware failure. :cool:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    No need to unlock. Just flash or odin.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

No, you can just flash. No need to unlock bootloader, because you set the knox bit by flashing recovery by odin.