[Q] Is mine a defect or is this normal?

Search This thread

jimmiekain

Oct 21, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga
www.twitter.com
I bought my epic 4g touch brand new from a corporate sprint store on friday. I really really like it but there are some strange things happening with it. I'm trying to figure out if these are normal or if this is how the phone is so that I can know if I need to do a hard rest, return it and use my evo again, or just exchange it.

Here are the problems I am having.
1. Friday while driving it home from the sprint store it was in my cars console and the screen turned off. Me being nuts about it, I decided to pick it back up and turn it on to admire the screen some more and it would not turn back on. I pushed the power button over and over again but nothing! I had to pull the battery.

2. It seems like the 4g is going to sleep too fast and also even into a sleep that is too deep! (example... after about 5 seconds of not using it the 4g symbol changes to zzz once that happens its almost like my data is off completely. This is especially frustrating because my e-mail is being delayed along with notifications from apps.

3. I have gone into settings and tried to increase the amount of time it takes before my screen turns off but no matter what I put it on it still goes off in like 15 seconds.

4. When I get an incoming call the ringtone is realllllllllly low for the first 2 or 3 seconds then it gets realllllly loud. Why is there a 2 second delay?

5. This morning, while using typing out a text msg the phone just completely froze. I tried pushing the home button and also tried the power button but nothing would work. I had to pull the battery.

I forgot to add this...

6. Sometimes when using 4g the 3g icon goes away then comes back and it will say both 3g and 4g then the data connection will not work at all. (I have done prl and profile updates over and over and over and over...)

Are these normal things to happen with this phone or should I take some kind of action?

Last edited:

geolemon

Dec 10, 2010
I'd say those things aren't normal - especially the freezing and things.
I don't get my SGSII until Tuesday... but I can tell you I don't get those symtoms on a MyTouch 3G (528mhz thank you lol) with almost no memory running Android 2.2.

That being said, you might want to wait at least a couple days, my logic is this:
My buddy bought a Droid X when that phone came out. When he first got it, it was slow, laggy, surprising given the state of the art (at the time) hardware it had. "Must be blur!" we said. But after a few days, the phone settled down, and sped up significantly. In his case, it was because there was a lot for the phone to do on initial startup - connecting to and synching all the Blur stuff through whatever social networks, apps (I'm sure Gapps included) synching your info.

Maybe something similar with TouchWiz for the first day or three?

gaspowered1

Sep 1, 2010
#6 happens to me. When I turn on 4G 3G goes completely away.
When I turn off 4G, 3G will not come back. I have to pull the battery and reboot the phone.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I don't think I am.

Cheers

JohnCorleone

Dec 19, 2010
Whittier,CA
When I turn off 4G, 3G will not come back. I have to pull the battery and reboot the phone.

Cheers
I am not seeing this. When I turn off 4G, it takes a few seconds but 3G icon does reappear

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

eagercrow

Mar 19, 2007

Cheers

I was noticing the same but using wifi not 4g. I had to restart the phone earlier today in order to get my 3g back.

Apr 11, 2010
hard reset and see if that helps....if not just take it back to Sprint and ask for a replacement.

Pitnefor

Mar 18, 2010
Merced
i get the loud thing... its soft at first.. and then gets really loud. basically you just need to set the volume to in the volume manager in settings...the initial volume is not the true volume you have set

gaspowered1

Sep 1, 2010
I also have #4. The ring volume seems muted for the first "half ring" or so, then full volume comes through.

Cheers

sling

Aug 7, 2007
Va Beach / Hatteras NC
Ive been flipping through ever sound setting no way to adjust that.
I guess its norm?

Testers please :)
Crank up ring volume to high then give it a call report your findings

eyecon82

May 30, 2010
I also have the 4 g going to sleep too early my biggest concern is that my data sux in the subdivision when I use to get perfect reception with my evo
I bought my epic 4g touch brand new from a corporate sprint store on friday. I really really like it but there are some strange things happening with it. I'm trying to figure out if these are normal or if this is how the phone is so that I can know if I need to do a hard rest, return it and use my evo again, or just exchange it.

1. Friday while driving it home from the sprint store it was in my cars console and the screen turned off. Me being nuts about it, I decided to pick it back up and turn it on to admire the screen some more and it would not turn back on. I pushed the power button over and over again but nothing! I had to pull the battery.

2. It seems like the 4g is going to sleep too fast and also even into a sleep that is too deep! (example... after about 5 seconds of not using it the 4g symbol changes to zzz once that happens its almost like my data is off completely. This is especially frustrating because my e-mail is being delayed along with notifications from apps.

3. I have gone into settings and tried to increase the amount of time it takes before my screen turns off but no matter what I put it on it still goes off in like 15 seconds.

4. When I get an incoming call the ringtone is realllllllllly low for the first 2 or 3 seconds then it gets realllllly loud. Why is there a 2 second delay?

5. This morning, while using typing out a text msg the phone just completely froze. I tried pushing the home button and also tried the power button but nothing would work. I had to pull the battery.

I forgot to add this...

6. Sometimes when using 4g the 3g icon goes away then comes back and it will say both 3g and 4g then the data connection will not work at all. (I have done prl and profile updates over and over and over and over...)

Are these normal things to happen with this phone or should I take some kind of action?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA App

comeatmebro

Sep 16, 2011
if you keep getting random shutdowns, take the phone back. Software won't fix that. A friend had the same problem with photon. It would just turn off on its own and wouldn't turn back on without taking the battery out. Apparently the battery kept dislodging and there's no way to fix it without ****ing with the hardware.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I forgot to add this...