[Q] Is the One-S a good replacement for HD2?

Search This thread

phatphat

Jun 1, 2006
UK
Sadly, it has come to the time to replace my my trusty HD2, which has been the best phone I have ever owned.

Because of it's sheer awesomeness, there's some pretty big shoes to fill being left by the HD2 (and that is in no small part to the amazing work of certain people on this forum to literally turn the HD2 in to the device it was meant to have been via incredible ROM dev).

Tmob USA are offering me a One-S and on paper it looks pretty good but can avy of you tell me if it't a worthy upgrade?

The main thing that worries me is the lack of SD card (and only 1gb of internal mem if I'm reading it right?).

The other thing is that it doesn't seem to multitask well and at some points have several very intensive things happening with my phone at once (GPS nva, while downloading a torrent, while being on a voice call and googling something for instance).

Can anyone tell me if the One-S will stand up?

Big_Den

May 6, 2012
The HD2 is a cult classic. Is the One S a good contender? It certainly is. The phone imo opinion hits the sweet spot going by size, easy one handed operation which I believe is necessary.

It has 16GB total memory and 1GB ram. From the 16GB, 10GB is accessible for photo's and the like. Dropbox have a sense 4 promotion that when you sign you you get 25GB free, so size shouldnt be an issue. Multi-tasking has been fine for me, but that is user dependent.

With the S4 snapdragon soc you have a true next generation processor, so performance will be amazing. Its the same processor in the ATT One X, Evo 4G LTE and rumoured to be in the Samsung GS3 LTE variant.

Orical

May 22, 2011
Boston
Sadly, it has come to the time to replace my my trusty HD2, which has been the best phone I have ever owned.

Because of it's sheer awesomeness, there's some pretty big shoes to fill being left by the HD2 (and that is in no small part to the amazing work of certain people on this forum to literally turn the HD2 in to the device it was meant to have been via incredible ROM dev).

Tmob USA are offering me a One-S and on paper it looks pretty good but can avy of you tell me if it't a worthy upgrade?

The main thing that worries me is the lack of SD card (and only 1gb of internal mem if I'm reading it right?).

The other thing is that it doesn't seem to multitask well and at some points have several very intensive things happening with my phone at once (GPS nva, while downloading a torrent, while being on a voice call and googling something for instance).

Can anyone tell me if the One-S will stand up?

It's one thing to ask for input from people but until you actually go to the store and hold one in your hand and use it a little it won't be the same, personally I love it and I have a few different devices but what I like might not be what your looking for and the fact that you can't just pull the battery or put in a sd card usually makes people leery about getting it but after actually holding it and testing it out I was sold.

It's worth checking out, I had my upgrade for a few months and I waited to see how it felt in the store and bought it on the spot there's something about the way HTC builds their devices that makes me feel better about having one, they are solid in build and lack that plastic feel ( like it's gonna break if you bend it though not intentional it happens) the weight is deceiving and after holding a MT4G it feels so much lighter but just as strong.

I don't wanna make your decision for you though just go in and mess with it, you'll know if it's right for you...

madalinpascu

May 30, 2010
Bucharest
Did the same switch from HD2 to HOS and it was the best choice of these times. Mayby in future I'll consider switching to another that will have an sd card additionally, if HTC will manufacture such device (same specs and dimensions as HOS but with an sd card ). Otherwise love the phone, battery life is amazing comparing wirh HD 2. Rom development not so extensive as for HD 2 but in time...... It's a good choice to go for the HOS

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

Reactions: smb282

May 5, 2012
Fayetteville
Switched from the hd2 also...and im vary happy. But I do wish it had more storage or a external memory. But that's because I have a lot of music. And some places I go don't have good coverage and google play dosent stream well. But if you don't plan on storing large amounts of media on your phone you'll be fine. If I had a do over I'd still get this phone. It's a good solid phone.

Sent from my HTC One S
T-Mobile USA
stock

mlynch01

Nov 29, 2003
New York, NY
I made the same jump, upgraded from HD2 to the One S. I love it, the size and feel of the device is great! No regrets here, but it is dependent on your use case. For example, if you can't live without an sdcard because you have a ton of music and images etc then it might not be the phone for you and the S3 might be the one that suits you. Now if that isn't something that will be an issue for you then the One S won't disappoint!

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using XDA

District

Oct 29, 2010
Washington
From HD2 with CM7 to One S with ICS. (forced upgrade due to screen shattering).

1) Both phone have solid construction. the HD2 lasted 2 years and expect the One S to last longer

2) thin, the One S is much thinner and lighter

3) Screen, screen size are similar, however One S looks a little better

4) ICS is great. I dont' even mind Sense 4.0. Will try CM9 when the last bugs are worked out (camcorder)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I switched from HD2 to ONE S.
    No regrets.
    Not one bit.
    Did the same switch from HD2 to HOS and it was the best choice of these times. Mayby in future I'll consider switching to another that will have an sd card additionally, if HTC will manufacture such device (same specs and dimensions as HOS but with an sd card ). Otherwise love the phone, battery life is amazing comparing wirh HD 2. Rom development not so extensive as for HD 2 but in time...... It's a good choice to go for the HOS

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone