[Q] Is the One X worth it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

RohinZaraki

Sep 8, 2011
Hey guys :) I'm from the Xperia X8 forums (yeah, reeeeeaaallly long way from home). I'm getting a One X in less than 2 weeks and I was wondering if you guys can tell me if this phone is worth it ? I actually like this phone more than the S3, which I've been told by many to get over the One X. So I was wondering, could you guys tell me if it's worth getting, what are the pros and cons and do you regret getting it and if you do, what would be a better alternative ? I have read and read TONS of reviews online and all I can say is that the reviews are mixed, but quite positive. Besides, if it's one thing i trust its the opinions and advice of XDA Members :) Hope to hear some good news :D

- RohinZaraki (probably your future newbie)

skwareman

Dec 3, 2010
I dont regret buying the hox, it has a strong shell which in fact still looks like new in my case. It is very fast, especially with custom roms! If you had to pay the extra money for the s3, i would ast it I'd not worth it. (in The Netherlands the s3 is more expensive) With the ongoing rom support, and the development of better and faster roms every week! there is a lot of fun flashing to come! I especially look out for the finished versions of Cyanogenmod 10/ Jellybean roms!

Hope this helps a little bit..

Reactions: RohinZaraki

Akatosh

Jan 14, 2012
UK
This phone is definitely worth it, speaking from a person who.upgraded their gs2 after about 3 months usage I won't be upgrading this for a long time. My brother owns a gs3 and there isn't much difference even in battery life. You can't go wrong with whichever one you buy.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

Zhypr

Jan 11, 2010
Depending on when you need your new phone, you could wait for the One X+. However, both the S3 and One X are great devices, I just prefer the build quality, design and screen (especially in the sun!) of the One X.

treebill

Jan 28, 2011
This phone is definitely worth it, speaking from a person who.upgraded their gs2 after about 3 months usage I won't be upgrading this for a long time. My brother owns a gs3 and there isn't much difference even in battery life. You can't go wrong with whichever one you buy.

So your saying that batter life is the same? funny because i see s3 users always end up here boosting how they can easily get 5 + hours batter life ect. ect.

sabret00the

Apr 15, 2011
London
s00techified.wordpress.com
As a HOX owner, I'll tell you that the One X isn't worth it. Don't get me wrong, it's the prettiest phone available right now. But as someone with a membership here, you have to know that the device support is crappy as well as, at least in my case, the device itself. How many phones on here have a bugs poll at launch[1]? Now here's the thing though, while I think there's a bunch of faults with the HOX, I can't actually recommend an alternative. All I can say is that the phone will give you headaches as it has a ton of issues and a minimal amount of devs.

[1] http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1592430

Last edited:

treebill

Jan 28, 2011
As a HOX owner, I'll tell you that the One X isn't worth it. Don't get me wrong, it's the prettiest phone available right now. But as someone with a membership here, you have to know that the device support is crappy as well as, at least in my case, the device itself. How many phones on here have a bugs poll at launch[1]? Now here's the thing though, while I think there's a bunch of faults with the HOX, I can't actually recommend an alternative. All I can say is that the phone will give you headaches as it has a ton of issues and a minimal amount of devs.

[1] http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1592430

Remember a much higher number of people complain than praise, that poll is not at all fair it's just a small poll on a small number of XDA members.

In the real world, there are more perfect than defect devices, I myself got a HOX 2 days after release and it is perfect no issues at all.

the only issues and headaches i have had are ones i have caused myself.

and it's not the number of devs that is important but the quality of work they do.

nikzDHD

Apr 2, 2011
London
One X is excellent piece of kit but like anything else everything comes with an issue. Early fails should now be rectified in newer batches. But if I was you I'd wait for the One X+ only around the corner. Possibly 64gb, LTE, slightly faster whilst keeping the best of the One X. Only if price isn't an issue it should make the current One X cheaper.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

sabret00the

Apr 15, 2011
London
s00techified.wordpress.com
Remember a much higher number of people complain than praise, that poll is not at all fair it's just a small poll on a small number of XDA members.

In the real world, there are more perfect than defect devices, I myself got a HOX 2 days after release and it is perfect no issues at all.

the only issues and headaches i have had are ones i have caused myself.

and it's not the number of devs that is important but the quality of work they do.
You're right in that the quality of the devs is more important than the number, after all, my previous phone was a HTC Incredible S, we basically had one CM dev, but that dev kept the device super stable, even in terms of nightlies. However when CM9 and now CM10 have come out, it's an almost forgotten device. You also look at the HOX with CM9, Interepresentation started but never finished. Look at TGasgoine's AOSP, started but on a break. These things matter when it comes to maintaining a device, there needs to be enough of a developer ecosystem to see others pick up the work. It especially matters with our device being a Tegra 3 as so much of the work is fresh ground.

You're also right that more people complain, however that doesn't negate the complaints. It seems to be a lottery over getting a good device. Hilarious since HTC are being so staunch about repairing/replacing locked bootloaders.

Oh and it should also be mentioned that there's no S-OFF for this device, even on the horizon and the only bootloader unlocker available is via the official HTCDEV.com and it's important to remember that htcdev only partially unlocks the bootloader. So things like overclocking and undervolting aren't possible right now.

nikzDHD

Apr 2, 2011
London
You're right in that the quality of the devs is more important than the number, after all, my previous phone was a HTC Incredible S, we basically had one CM dev, but that dev kept the device super stable, even in terms of nightlies. However when CM9 and now CM10 have come out, it's an almost forgotten device. You also look at the HOX with CM9, Interepresentation started but never finished. Look at TGasgoine's AOSP, started but on a break. These things matter when it comes to maintaining a device, there needs to be enough of a developer ecosystem to see others pick up the work. It especially matters with our device being a Tegra 3 as so much of the work is fresh ground.

You're also right that more people complain, however that doesn't negate the complaints. It seems to be a lottery over getting a good device. Hilarious since HTC are being so staunch about repairing/replacing locked bootloaders.

Oh and it should also be mentioned that there's no S-OFF for this device, even on the horizon and the only bootloader unlocker available is via the official HTCDEV.com and it's important to remember that htcdev only partially unlocks the bootloader. So things like overclocking and undervolting aren't possible right now.

Sorry but you can already undervolt if you have unlocked your bootloader, just use a custom kernel.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

RohinZaraki

Sep 8, 2011
Sorry to bump this thread but I felt I had to. It's been nearly a month since I got my OX and I have to say I regret nothing :) thank you all.

tonybuzz32000

Oct 3, 2010
I have a HOX and its the best phone I've ever owned, and I've had many android phones and rooted them and put custom roms on them all. But this doesn't need, Imo. My wife and father inlaw both have S3s and they both have many problems like overheating, random reboots, and bad battery. The both got the jellybean update and things seem to be ok for them now. But when we get ours it will make a great phone even greater. Htc all the way.:)

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

ipmanwck

Apr 9, 2012
England
Got one for my wife yesterday and its superb. The camera and build quality is great and really why I got it for her. Folders on home screens are an essential for her. Not seen what battery life's like but if its bad JB update will improve it probably. Love how when I slide my finger across the screen at the edge its seamless and glides off the edge. Its things like that, that HTC have done really well. Its the easiest android phone and anyone can pick it up and easily use it but I can't say that for some of the others.
I really want one but 32gb is not enough. I have a SGS2 and like that I have an SD card.
I did consider one x + but they are just trying to shift more before their new phones come out and I won't buy into that. HTC butterfly for me ;)
I purchased hers from amazon warehouse used but from amazon directly so I knew if I had issues I could replace it easy. No issues yet. Joy to use.

Chameleon Rom by Jazzk
The most stable Rom for your SGS2

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I dont regret buying the hox, it has a strong shell which in fact still looks like new in my case. It is very fast, especially with custom roms! If you had to pay the extra money for the s3, i would ast it I'd not worth it. (in The Netherlands the s3 is more expensive) With the ongoing rom support, and the development of better and faster roms every week! there is a lot of fun flashing to come! I especially look out for the finished versions of Cyanogenmod 10/ Jellybean roms!

Hope this helps a little bit..
    I had an xperia x8 before the hox and my god how did I live with such a tiny screen lol, I do miss the 4 - 5 battery life :(

@vorticalbox tweet me :p

Depending on when you need your new phone, you could wait for the One X+. However, both the S3 and One X are great devices, I just prefer the build quality, design and screen (especially in the sun!) of the One X.

So your saying that batter life is the same? funny because i see s3 users always end up here boosting how they can easily get 5 + hours batter life ect. ect.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone