[Q] LG G Watch R dormant WiFi chip?

Search This thread

ShadowEO

Mar 15, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
EDIT:

WHOA, sorry I saw I was in the wrong device forum, thought this was G Watch.

Either way, it appears that G Watch, GW R and the ZenWatch are all missing the hardware needed for WiFi, a software update will not give you WiFi without the hardware required.

One of many sources: http://phandroid.com/2015/04/21/lg-g-watch-missing-wifi/

Above link is even pointing to LG and ASUS for their sources.

Last edited:

xzyk

Sep 6, 2006
frustrated by fragmentation again !

Google does not dream updates like this (android wear) on a Thursday and publish them on a Friday.
Major vendors like LG, Samsung etc... would have had prior knowledge this was on the cards.
The fact they did not advertise their smartwatches were not wifi capable is not entirely a surprise, nevertheless it will be the last time i trust LG (in my case). I only recently purcahsed their R watch at top price (don't want to say how much cause it'll only make me feel worse than i feel now) but this has, in my opinion, fragmented the android wear market and has made my watch 'less than capable' whether wifi is a good thing or not. I would have liked to have the option and then I can decide to enable it or not; LG has taken that option away from me for a price that does not reflect that now missing feature. I'm willing to bet (a) the price will now go down on these non-wifi capable watches and (b) there will be more of them being sold off on fleabay.

Last edited:

faslane

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 7, 2008
Spokane, WA
www.facebook.com
Correct. The original won't have the WiFi function in the 5.1 update. It SHOULD have the other stuff and to be honest I don't care much about the lack of WiFi feature....nothing I'd really use and always have my phone in me anyways. It'd be cool but not losing sleep over it by any means.

Google recently announced the*Android Wear update*coming to devices in the near future, which brings in quite a few new functions like gesture draws for sending emjois in message replies, better hands-free functionality thanks to the ability to flick your wrist for cycling through cards, and WiFi support so watches can still be connected and receive the notifications that come to phones even if the phone isn’t on your person, which could be extremely useful for anyone that leaves their phone at home at any point but take their watch. With WiFi support now for Android Wear coming in 5.1, those who love their Saturday morning runs which usually end up at a coffee shop with free WiFi will still be able to get those messages.

"As Google mentioned, the WiFi support will allow the watch to stay connected to the phone when linked up on a wifi network, and the networks don’t have to be the same so devices could in fact be left at home while you take your Android Wear Smartwatch with you. Unless you have the original LG G Watch, which apparently isn’t going to get this new feature with the Android 5.1 update. This is a sad day for LG G Watch owners surely, especially if they had been looking forward to using it, but LG has stated the G Watch doesn’t have the requisite hardware to support the feature so it will not be getting it after the update hits at any point."

Masrepus

Feb 12, 2013
Well what i hope is that the situation is similar to the nexus 4 lte thing, that it could actually use the feature but the software has it disabled (ok i actually hope it will just work out of the box and that's it).
But if that would happen, xda is the right place where the problem gets solved!

--------------------
Phone: Nexus 4
Bootloader: unlocked
Recovery: TWRP 2.8.2.0

Reactions: faslane

m i n a r

Apr 15, 2013
The Ghost Town
I buyed this watch 2 months ago, I was really excited about this feature and.. Lg destroyed my plans. This is the last time i give them my money.
We have to understand if this hardware is inside or not, but in my opinion LG did it just for create some kind of gap between g watch r and the urbane. I hate this type of "customer care". Before you ask, yes, this is an important feature for me. But independently from my opinion, LG will pay for this. -_-

That's the proof. WiFi declared and then missing. Magical!
https://youtu.be/JNvWK91Ymfk?t=5m22s

Last edited:

ShadowEO

Mar 15, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Correct. The original won't have the WiFi function in the 5.1 update. It SHOULD have the other stuff and to be honest I don't care much about the lack of WiFi feature....nothing I'd really use and always have my phone in me anyways. It'd be cool but not losing sleep over it by any means.

Google recently announced the*Android Wear update*coming to devices in the near future, which brings in quite a few new functions like gesture draws for sending emjois in message replies, better hands-free functionality thanks to the ability to flick your wrist for cycling through cards, and WiFi support so watches can still be connected and receive the notifications that come to phones even if the phone isn’t on your person, which could be extremely useful for anyone that leaves their phone at home at any point but take their watch. With WiFi support now for Android Wear coming in 5.1, those who love their Saturday morning runs which usually end up at a coffee shop with free WiFi will still be able to get those messages.

"As Google mentioned, the WiFi support will allow the watch to stay connected to the phone when linked up on a wifi network, and the networks don’t have to be the same so devices could in fact be left at home while you take your Android Wear Smartwatch with you. Unless you have the original LG G Watch, which apparently isn’t going to get this new feature with the Android 5.1 update. This is a sad day for LG G Watch owners surely, especially if they had been looking forward to using it, but LG has stated the G Watch doesn’t have the requisite hardware to support the feature so it will not be getting it after the update hits at any point."

Sadly it looks like the G Watch R won't be getting WiFi support either. They've stated the R doesn't have the hardware as well. I personally could care less about WiFi in a watch, my phone stays on me at all times for work anyway. However it will be interesting to see if Google provides system-wide networking with this update, if they do, I can see a new boom of watch app development taking place. I would expect them to open system-wide networking via Bluetooth as well if they're going to provide this functionality since older watches such as G Watch, G Watch R and the ZenWatch would be left out of the next generation of apps, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if this is to the opposite.

Reactions: faslane

Klaus88

Sep 24, 2012
Sadly it looks like the G Watch R won't be getting WiFi support either. They've stated the R doesn't have the hardware as well. I personally could care less about WiFi in a watch, my phone stays on me at all times for work anyway. However it will be interesting to see if Google provides system-wide networking with this update, if they do, I can see a new boom of watch app development taking place. I would expect them to open system-wide networking via Bluetooth as well if they're going to provide this functionality since older watches such as G Watch, G Watch R and the ZenWatch would be left out of the next generation of apps, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if this is to the opposite.

At IFA 2014 was possible to see the Watch R presentation with very big titles with written " Bluetooth & WiFi IC Broadcom BCM" in it is shown the board layout. It's exactely the same of the one is on the Watch R, so this makes me think that WiFi capability is fully there. Simply, they don't want to push over it anymore to push urbane or there's some misunderstanding.

moopile

Jun 12, 2007
Memphis, TN
OnePlus 7 Pro
Who knows. I've read so many different stories now I'll know when the update releases. Lol.

FCC Filing: http://fccid.net/number.php?fcc=ZNFW110&id=761057#axzz3Y6U9RFgE

LG G Watch R Smartwatch

add a product application

Company: LG Electronics MobileComm USA, Inc. (ZNF)
1000 Sylvan Ave.

Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey 07632
United States

Application: Smart Watch with 2.4 DTS b/g/n + BT and BLE

Full Application Details: http://fccid.net/number.php?fcc=ZNFW110&id=761057#ixzz3Y8HdGL3M
Follow us: @fccIDnet on Twitter

See link above for more.

faslane

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 7, 2008
Spokane, WA
www.facebook.com

ShadowEO

Mar 15, 2012
Columbus, Ohio

edgeball

Aug 2, 2010
Suck it still isn't getting activated then from the 20 different sources saying it won't which sucks even worse bit its kinda "meh" to me anyway. I have the original G but square one.

It looks like those 20 sources all refer to the one that is Phandroid. Not sure if it really is believable. I mean why no antenna when the chip is already there? It's just a tiny cable that connects to the frame, right?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

gusano38

Nov 21, 2013
Grenoble
According to the FCC documents, all the tests regarding wifi signal measure, noise, etc, were performed. Without an antenna you definitely cannot do these tests.

I have not seen Gizmodo, Endgadget or The Verge relaying the information from Phandroid. We will have to wait.

In the meantime, LG italy tweeted this:

Ciao **** attendiamo di avere comunicazioni ufficiali prima di informarvi, ciò non esclude che #GWatchR avrà il WiFi #LGsocialteam

My italian is not very good, but I understand that they are still waiting for an official statement regarding wifi support in the GWR.

m i n a r

Apr 15, 2013
The Ghost Town
According to the FCC documents, all the tests regarding wifi signal measure, noise, etc, were performed. Without an antenna you definitely cannot do these tests.

I have not seen Gizmodo, Endgadget or The Verge relaying the information from Phandroid. We will have to wait.

In the meantime, LG italy tweeted this:

Ciao **** attendiamo di avere comunicazioni ufficiali prima di informarvi, ciò non esclude che #GWatchR avrà il WiFi #LGsocialteam

My italian is not very good, but I understand that they are still waiting for an official statement regarding wifi support in the GWR.

Yeah, they didn't exclude that gwr will get wifi support, but they have no informations about it. So i don't trust phandroid. I wrote lg on fb and twitter and the answer was the same. So,let's hope ._.

headfim

Apr 25, 2015
hmm. bluetooth needs a antenna too. and because bluetooth and wlan is in the same chip, could it be that they use the same antenna? or maybe it doesnt work that way? it could theoretically work that way if wlan and bluetooth doesnt use it at the same time right?

Anyway, somebody who knows who theyre looking at should look at teardown pics of the lg g watch r device and see if they see something that looks like an antenna. or better yet do a teardown themselfs :3

btw. i just noticed the answer to this tweet: twitter.com/ClaudioRizzini/status/590917274795646977

Claudio Rizzini ‏@ClaudioRizzini Apr 22
@LGNordic do you confirm wifi support for #LGGwatchR ? Because phandroid stated LG source, that it's not supported.

LG Nordic ‏@LGNordic Apr 23
@ClaudioRizzini Hi, I'm checking this specifically and will let you know once I have more info. /Magnus LG

And theyve not returned with a answer yet... so maybe its like some people already suspect, this is some kind of sneaky plot to make us buy the ugly new watch they got.

anyway, heres some teardown pics and videos i found in a quick search on the googles:

ifixit.com/Teardown/LG+G+Watch+R+Teardown/35469

youtube.com/watch?v=VFoKETw8NI8

PS. Because i just registered on this forum i apparently isnt allowed to post links until 10 posts later. so i guess you just have copy and paste instead. :(

Reactions: edgeball

Klaus88

Sep 24, 2012
hmm. bluetooth needs a antenna too. and because bluetooth and wlan is in the same chip, could it be that they use the same antenna? or maybe it doesnt work that way? it could theoretically work that way if wlan and bluetooth doesnt use it at the same time right?

Anyway, somebody who knows who theyre looking at should look at teardown pics of the lg g watch r device and see if they see something that looks like an antenna. or better yet do a teardown themselfs :3

btw. i just noticed the answer to this tweet: twitter.com/ClaudioRizzini/status/590917274795646977

And theyve not returned with a answer yet... so maybe its like some people already suspect, this is some kind of sneaky plot to make us buy the ugly new watch they got.

anyway, heres some teardown pics and videos i found in a quick search on the googles:

ifixit.com/Teardown/LG+G+Watch+R+Teardown/35469

youtube.com/watch?v=VFoKETw8NI8

PS. Because i just registered on this forum i apparently isnt allowed to post links until 10 posts later. so i guess you just have copy and paste instead. :(

That guy on twitter is me :D No answer at the moment

Tursch67

Apr 28, 2012
I'm really disappointed. I just bought the watch 2 months ago and it's already outdated. We were promised WiFi capability. I smell a class action suit.

Top Liked Posts

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone