[Q] LG G4 Charging Very Slowly

Search This thread

pruebecita

May 1, 2011
Good morning,

Same problem here, yesterday the phone was in air plane mode and after almost 4h of charging the phone only was charged about 40%. With a physical USB meter is no charging more than 0'7A and is very hot indeed.

I hope LG give us a solution.

Cheers

d14bf960485c2671c4c873e4f41df445o.jpg

http://subefotos.com/ver/?d14bf960485c2671c4c873e4f41df445o.png

Last edited:

IrfanSiddiqui

Aug 9, 2015
I think the stock charger is faulty/slow

Hi, please help me understand why is my LG G4 charging slow with its stock charger provided in the package which is : 5.0V - 1.8A (Charging time 4hrs 49mins) as its shows in the battery statistics and while I use nokia charger for 930 which is : 5.0 V - 1.5A (its showing 1hr 52mins) - I tried to change the cables thinking maybe the cable has something to do with it - tried it in both 220V-110V outlets - but the situation is the same, my LG charger with high amperes is taking more time then other chargers with low amperes?

feels1

Aug 30, 2015
I have been comparing phone charging for my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and LG G4 which uses Telus@Canada. I have proper electrical power supply which I used as charger (5V 3A) with custom made micro USB cable. I used Fluke digital multimeter measure voltage, ampere, power regulation, and phone to measure the temperature.

From my observation, there are several factors involved:
1. Battery temperature - If using the phone, keeps the battery below 24C/75F for higher current, especially USB charge (not wall charger). It looks like it only uses ~500mA when actively using it, e.g. Google Map, but will draw more current if screen is off. Trick: Removes the back cover to lower the battery temperature
2. Screen brightness - Keeps it below 10% if using computer's USB port. It is able to charge if brightness is low, even using computer USB port. 40% brightness is going to exceed the 500mA charging current from computer and losing charge. The full brightness going to consume ~ 600mA
3. Reconnect the USB cable - both my Note2 and G4 don't detect it is connected to AC wall charger, and I have to reconnect for it it redetect. Checks "Battery & power saving" screen to ensure AC is detected
4. Uses quality charging cable such as original Samsung/LG G4 - If uses custom cable, then ensure it is 24/28AWG (24AWG for power cable and 28AWG for data). I will recommend to buy 20AWG, which can both be long and future proofed. Trick: use a short 1 ft cable if you don't have quality cable
5. Shutdown all programs (Square > Clear All) - if possible, shutdown Google Maps or all background programs. I found Google Maps uses some power in background, and terminate it will improves the charging time when using USB port, but no different when using wall charger
6. Uses direct 12V to charge - If the phone battery level is < 40% (yet to measure the historical charging voltage vs battery level with QuickCharger 2.0), then you can use 9V or 12V. Car has 12V ready to be used, but you will need to fabricate the charging cable yourself
7. If you are using custom ROM, beware that some of them has a bug where the hvdcp daemon is not running, and not negotiating the QC 2.0 protocol, which limiting itself to 1800mA (for G4, but will be different for other phones) instead of 5V/2500mA or higher

Apps to recommend to monitor charging. Installs both:
1. Battery Log - Allows export to csv file (prompt for name). Display volt, battery %, temp, USB/AC, graph
2. Battery Monitor Widget - Shows battery temperature and charge current, but can't export to different file (overwrite previous file). This is more fancy, but I dislike that it doesn't support export

If you have a Quick Charge 2.0, and wanted to know what is the D+ and D- voltage from phone which tells your Quick Charger what voltage to support, or for in depth troubleshooting/reserve engineering, following is the lookup table

D+ D- Request Volt in Pin 1
0.6 0 5V, upto 2A (10W)
3.3 0.6 9V, upto 2A (18W)
0.6 0.6 12V, upto 2A (24W)
3.3 3.3 20V, unknown ampere

Forget about "Ampere" app if you use above 2 apps. It doesn't has export, or history

Reference:
1. Power Integration CHY100 Charger Interface Physical Layer IC
2. Mouser online electronic ordering
3. Texas Instruments Class A reference design circuit literature tidu917.pdf

Note 1: QuickCharger 2.0 has Class A, which is 5V, 9V, 12V, and Class B, which is 5/9/12/20V (extra 20V). Currently all QuickCharger 2.0 are either partial Class A that is up to 9V, or full Class A (upto 12V). Class B charger is yet to release, but the IC has been released. It is the same IC, according to my research, but manufacturer are either using cheaper IC that doesn't support 12V, or considering that 12V output will demand a qualify cable ($$$$$)
Note 2: These comments are for testing purpose. I am not liable for any damage to your asset or personal injury for any statement I disclosed
Note 3: On weekend, where I don't use the phone much, the battery can last for 3 days before recharge, compare to Samsung Galaxy Note 2 which I still have to recharge daily in similar usage

Last edited:

RedOCtobyr

Jun 10, 2015
Very interesting & informative post, thank you!

How do you shut down the apps? I do Recent Apps (square), Clear All, but I'm not sure I trust that everything is actually closed. I'm not rooted, I'm not sure if there's a way to verify what is still running.

A clarification: Battery Monitor Widget (which I use & like) *can* export to CSV. Click on the gear, then Battery, then Export Battery History.

xDreDz

Jul 18, 2015
Baguio
There were no problems on the first month. I can play while charging and itll go 100% in an hour. Now, its just ridiculous that it takes 4 hours to go 1-100%.

Zachhockey2

Sep 1, 2013
Novi
Wow, I can't believe this issue is still present. I get the occasional email notification about this thread. I returned my g4 just before best buys 14 day return window as I wasn't certain when this would be fixed. I was completely certain that it would have been fixed by now, though. Complete fail by LG. Sorry to you all :/ I have a note 5 now.

WooHooT

Oct 12, 2015
Still a problem. I exchanged my 1st G4 to T-Mobile due an unrelated issue thinking I could take care of two birds with one stone. They sent me a new phone and the problem persists. I don't think LG will do much to rectify this problem since the V10 is now rolling out soon (could be wrong) and I'm betting this is a hardware problem (overheating) with software safeguards put in place (to prevent catastrophic problems) so there isn't a fast nor easy solution that LG can deploy short of recalling the phones and giving users new ones. This whole ordeal reminds me of the nVidia Shield Tablet recall with the bad battery. AT least Nvidia did the right thing and recalled their product...

For me, the charging has been very sporadic. Sometimes it charges like it should (less 10% of the time and when the phone is sitting in front of a fan) but most of the time it charges slower than my NOTE 4 ANKER extended battery (which is insane). Sometimes it even LOSES power while its charging via any AC adapter. If it wasn't for this camera, I would have sold the device long ago.

Devendrakate

Nov 11, 2015
Is there a solution to this problem?

My phone was ok till yesterday. But now i takes 3-3.5 hrs to charge upto 50% !!. It doesn't charge fast even when the screen is off. Please help me.

feels1

Aug 30, 2015
My phone was ok till yesterday. But now i takes 3-3.5 hrs to charge upto 50% !!. It doesn't charge fast even when the screen is off. Please help me.

You are not telling much about how you charge it, and other facts. If you need help, or comment the simplest way is use Battery Monitor Widget. Attach the screenshot of battery level, temperature, what cable you use, what charger you use, do you turn phone off, do you keep screen on

dshamim

Mar 4, 2011
Ridiculously slow charging

My wife has recently hit this issue with a G4 - It worked fine for only a few weeks before developing this problem -
using stock charger , stock cable - even with screen off, all app cache cleared, all running apps cleared - still taking approx. 4 hours to charge from 30%-100%

I have also tried turning the phone off and charging - which doesn't seem to improve things - with Ampere constantly showing between 40 upto 600 usually,m very rarely jumps to 700 or so -

very occasionally I have seen it charging at 1650 - but it stops as soon as the screen is on (one of those days where it's actually charging properly)

somone has tested the phone charging here based on battery temperatures : forums.androidcentral.com/lg-g4/540551-slow-charging-apparently-related-temperature-warm-slow.html

I will test the phone by turning the phone off and then cooling it to see if that fixes the issue
- has anyone tried factory resetting the phone if that fixes the issue ?

Vamire

Oct 3, 2010
Is the charger the problem I had have the same problem and I tested an other charger from moto x.Works like charm!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Vamire

Oct 3, 2010
I tried other chargers and the problem remains.
Try to let the phone with the screen down.If you have heat problems it will work.
Also the charger should have the same or better specs..Is not your phone the problem I'm sure for this.Lg charger sucks.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

crossdeath

Dec 26, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S21+
i noticed this problem as well, but my g4 charges normally when i'm using the stock charger and usb cable
the problem was with the usb cable, i bought one on ebay and that's when it started to charge really slowly
it turns out you need to have a 20 awg usb cable in order to charge the battery really quickly

maydayind

Dec 10, 2011
Damn that's a pity. I play ingress (augmented reality game and a battery drainer as gps and screen are on all the time). Normally, you recognize players by the usb cable with which they connect their mobile to their external battery. If it only gains some percent during navigation, I fear you end up with the same battery load or even slightly less when playing ingress and charge at the same time

Asså a fellow imgress player let me enlighten you.

The phone whill charge att 1600ma using screen on.
The problem is often cables.. Cheap cables work for about a week then u get som dropps in amp. As a ingress player u are more likely to burn 10 cables a year.

Try a original lg cable or any other major phone manufacturer brand. Make share it a original and not a China copy. If u still don't get any good charge then try another cable or Powerbank. Still problem. Clean your USB connector or try replacing battry. .. If u are bootloader unlocked u can flash a kernel with fastcharge and the cable don't matter..

The charge current is limited by kernel. The kernel measure the resistant between dsta+ and - in the USB cable. (of course temperature and battery status are a counted for)

dalinker

Feb 29, 2016
Is this bad?

I cant attach a screenshot of my problem but I will try to tabulate it.

Here's the story I accessed the hidden menu via *#546368#*xxx# where xxx is model number and navigated to battery status

I found some interesting facts

Default/Stock Charger and Cable
Current(mA) = -551
Voltage(mV) = 4126
Temp = 30 degrees C
Health = Good

Stock Charger / Different Cable
Current(mA) = -912
Voltage(mV) = 4309
Temp = 31 degrees C
Health = Good

Is it really a negative value for current??

Last edited:

volkie1912

Jul 4, 2012
Izmir/KSK
same issue i don't understand what happened after marsmallow update, same cable same charger both of them original. it takes to 0-100 4 hours, before it took under 2 hours. i did factory reset first two or three charge it charged under two hours but again appears same issue. i checked with battery monitor widget and it charges 500 to 600 ma average

regedor

Dec 10, 2015
same issue i don't understand what happened after marsmallow update, same cable same charger both of them original. it takes to 0-100 4 hours, before it took under 2 hours. i did factory reset first two or three charge it charged under two hours but again appears same issue. i checked with battery monitor widget and it charges 500 to 600 ma average
Try to charge the phone with a low temperature.
When i charge with 35°c it takes more than 4 hours, with about 24°c it takes 1h30m.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I did some testing regarding how battery temperature relates to the charge current. My findings are in this thread:

http://xdaforums.com/g4/help/slow-charging-apparently-related-to-t3134443

As the battery gets warmer, the phone reduces the charging current. From what I saw, when my battery exceeded ~90F, the phone reduced the charge current to my usual 280mA. Below that temperature, I was getting about 600mA. And as the battery cooled further, I got about 1500mA. This is all using the included LG charger and cable, and is measured with the screen turned on, at full brightness.

So if you're in a warm environment, and/or your phone is working hard, you're more likely to experience slow charging.
    Has anyone tried contacting LG Support regarding the issue? We need an answer or fix for this.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
    I have been comparing phone charging for my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and LG G4 which uses Telus@Canada. I have proper electrical power supply which I used as charger (5V 3A) with custom made micro USB cable. I used Fluke digital multimeter measure voltage, ampere, power regulation, and phone to measure the temperature.

From my observation, there are several factors involved:
    1. Battery temperature - If using the phone, keeps the battery below 24C/75F for higher current, especially USB charge (not wall charger). It looks like it only uses ~500mA when actively using it, e.g. Google Map, but will draw more current if screen is off. Trick: Removes the back cover to lower the battery temperature
    2. Screen brightness - Keeps it below 10% if using computer's USB port. It is able to charge if brightness is low, even using computer USB port. 40% brightness is going to exceed the 500mA charging current from computer and losing charge. The full brightness going to consume ~ 600mA
    3. Reconnect the USB cable - both my Note2 and G4 don't detect it is connected to AC wall charger, and I have to reconnect for it it redetect. Checks "Battery & power saving" screen to ensure AC is detected
    4. Uses quality charging cable such as original Samsung/LG G4 - If uses custom cable, then ensure it is 24/28AWG (24AWG for power cable and 28AWG for data). I will recommend to buy 20AWG, which can both be long and future proofed. Trick: use a short 1 ft cable if you don't have quality cable
    5. Shutdown all programs (Square > Clear All) - if possible, shutdown Google Maps or all background programs. I found Google Maps uses some power in background, and terminate it will improves the charging time when using USB port, but no different when using wall charger
    6. Uses direct 12V to charge - If the phone battery level is < 40% (yet to measure the historical charging voltage vs battery level with QuickCharger 2.0), then you can use 9V or 12V. Car has 12V ready to be used, but you will need to fabricate the charging cable yourself
    7. If you are using custom ROM, beware that some of them has a bug where the hvdcp daemon is not running, and not negotiating the QC 2.0 protocol, which limiting itself to 1800mA (for G4, but will be different for other phones) instead of 5V/2500mA or higher

Apps to recommend to monitor charging. Installs both:
    1. Battery Log - Allows export to csv file (prompt for name). Display volt, battery %, temp, USB/AC, graph
    2. Battery Monitor Widget - Shows battery temperature and charge current, but can't export to different file (overwrite previous file). This is more fancy, but I dislike that it doesn't support export

If you have a Quick Charge 2.0, and wanted to know what is the D+ and D- voltage from phone which tells your Quick Charger what voltage to support, or for in depth troubleshooting/reserve engineering, following is the lookup table

D+ D- Request Volt in Pin 1
    0.6 0 5V, upto 2A (10W)
    3.3 0.6 9V, upto 2A (18W)
    0.6 0.6 12V, upto 2A (24W)
    3.3 3.3 20V, unknown ampere

Forget about "Ampere" app if you use above 2 apps. It doesn't has export, or history

Reference:
    1. Power Integration CHY100 Charger Interface Physical Layer IC
    2. Mouser online electronic ordering
    3. Texas Instruments Class A reference design circuit literature tidu917.pdf

Note 1: QuickCharger 2.0 has Class A, which is 5V, 9V, 12V, and Class B, which is 5/9/12/20V (extra 20V). Currently all QuickCharger 2.0 are either partial Class A that is up to 9V, or full Class A (upto 12V). Class B charger is yet to release, but the IC has been released. It is the same IC, according to my research, but manufacturer are either using cheaper IC that doesn't support 12V, or considering that 12V output will demand a qualify cable ($$$$$)
    Note 2: These comments are for testing purpose. I am not liable for any damage to your asset or personal injury for any statement I disclosed
    Note 3: On weekend, where I don't use the phone much, the battery can last for 3 days before recharge, compare to Samsung Galaxy Note 2 which I still have to recharge daily in similar usage
    Try running the battery all the way down and letting it die.
    Then charge to 100% while the phone is off, and restart it.
    It worked for me, I think it's some sort of calibration issue.

My G4 was eating the battery daily with little use, so I did drain it 100%. I made sure it was as drained as could be by pressing the power button to let it come on and say "Battery too low to turn on" over and over. I had to do this like... 100 or more times, but luckily the restaurant I was at was very slow making my food!
    It didn't fix my problem right away, which was actually a background process eating the battery, but once I stopped it from running, the battery was back to its brand-new level of performance. I like pulling my phone out at lunch time and seeing 100% still :D

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

Try running the battery all the way down and letting it die.
    Then charge to 100% while the phone is off, and restart it.
    It worked for me, I think it's some sort of calibration issue.

Apart from that, is there a G4 service menu like on the Note 4 that resets battery stats and calibrates the battery - accessible via dialer? I am on Marshmallow, guys :)

I use 3C Toolbox for battery calibration

---------- Post added at 07:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

been suffering this for several months now, it comes and goes, it auto fixes for absolutely no reason and starts charging super slow again all of a sudden. besides that my battery now last nothing 10 to 13hs with 3hs SoT, it used to last 20+ hs with more than 4hs SoT, phone has about a year of use, I absolutely hate it, had a G2 before this and was a delight, G4 except for the camera is a pile of garbage, screen ghosting, ultra slow charging issues, incredibly poor battery life after less than a year of use (and is not the battery because I have 3 and they all last the same)

Sent from my LG-H815 using XDA-Developers mobile app

Try draining the battery like suggested above.
    All lithium ion batteries respond well to this, or rather respond poorly to being partially drained and partially charged over and over. Fully draining and then fully charging lets the battery recalibrate itself.
    Same problem here..
    Really annoying.