[Q] Media Scanner causing phone to continually reboot?

Search This thread

ripper4590

Oct 2, 2012
A weird issue manifested on my phone today ... the phone started, upon boot up, to spontaneously reboot. It would boot up within 30s, at which point I unlock it an pulldown the notifications screen (to see what was going on).

I saw several instances of "media scanner running" occurring - over the course of various trials I would see the following messages alternate on the top status bar.
Media scanner running... (system storage)
Media scanner running... (SD card)
Media scanner running.... (USB storage)
Media scanning completed
...while below in the notification areas I'd see the "Media scanning", "Media scanning...USB storage" etc messages periodically appear.

The phone would first lockup, then reboot perhaps 3 out of every 4 startups. Several of those times the last message I saw prior to the lockup was Media scanner running.... (USB storage).

I pulled out the 32FB Sandisk SD card, then tried booting the phone several times, and this time no issue - booted up fine, no lockups nor auto-reboots. Note though that I've had the SD card installed for over a year, and the problem only cropped up today.

Same problem on Samsung Galaxy Ace
I'm experiencing the exactly same problem on my rooted Samsung Galaxy Ace (Gingerbread 2.3.6).
Reboots with SD card mounted and working fine with SD card unmounted.
I'm using Link2SD with a 2nd ext2 partition, and when SD card is unmounted, all Linked apps work perfectly fine.
I've tried removing and re-inserting SD card and also recreating mount scripts to no use.

What might be the possible causes of this problem???

I can't afford formatting the SD card as yet, as I'm a little short on disk space. I've tried mounting the card on my PC and run chkdsk, but found no errors.
Is this problem related to Link2SD???

Please :fingers-crossed: tell me if there's any other solution :mad: other than killing my phone i.e. wiping all data.

:eek: PLEASE HELP :silly:

sharingan

May 30, 2013
A weird issue manifested on my phone today ... the phone started, upon boot up, to spontaneously reboot. It would boot up within 30s, at which point I unlock it an pulldown the notifications screen (to see what was going on).

I saw several instances of "media scanner running" occurring - over the course of various trials I would see the following messages alternate on the top status bar.
Media scanner running... (system storage)
Media scanner running... (SD card)
Media scanner running.... (USB storage)
Media scanning completed
...while below in the notification areas I'd see the "Media scanning", "Media scanning...USB storage" etc messages periodically appear.

The phone would first lockup, then reboot perhaps 3 out of every 4 startups. Several of those times the last message I saw prior to the lockup was Media scanner running.... (USB storage).

I pulled out the 32FB Sandisk SD card, then tried booting the phone several times, and this time no issue - booted up fine, no lockups nor auto-reboots. Note though that I've had the SD card installed for over a year, and the problem only cropped up today.

Same problem on Samsung Galaxy Ace
I'm experiencing the exactly same problem on my rooted Samsung Galaxy Ace (Gingerbread 2.3.6).
Reboots with SD card mounted and working fine with SD card unmounted.
I'm using Link2SD with a 2nd ext2 partition, and when SD card is unmounted, all Linked apps work perfectly fine.
I've tried removing and re-inserting SD card and also recreating mount scripts to no use.

What might be the possible causes of this problem???

I can't afford formatting the SD card as yet, as I'm a little short on disk space. I've tried mounting the card on my PC and run chkdsk, but found no errors.
Is this problem related to Link2SD???

Please :fingers-crossed: tell me if there's any other solution :mad: other than killing my phone i.e. wiping all data.

:eek: PLEASE HELP :silly:

maybe it is a problem with your sd card
try to unmount the sd card with link2sd

D

Deleted member 5617821

I really find this odd. When you link an app using Link2SD, all the app data is linked to ext partition of your SD card. If all went along right, then once you unmount your SD card, all linked apps shouldn't work anymore. This is because the ext partition is no longer available which contains the app data and files. I don't know why all of your linked app works fine. I completely agree with @aditya rathee. The problem could be with your SD card. Try to restart the phone with another working SD card and post the result. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

sharingan

May 30, 2013
I really find this odd. When you link an app using Link2SD, all the app data is linked to ext partition of your SD card. If all went along right, then once you unmount your SD card, all linked apps shouldn't work anymore. This is because the ext partition is no longer available which contains the app data and files. I don't know why all of your linked app works fine. I completely agree with @aditya rathee. The problem could be with your SD card. Try to restart the phone with another working SD card and post the result. :)

thanks for supporting buddy

i think he should try by changing sd card

ripper4590

Oct 2, 2012
In case I format my SD card, what happens to my 2nd ext2 partition?? What are my options for back up??

D

Deleted member 5617821

In case I format my SD card, what happens to my 2nd ext2 partition?? What are my options for back up??

When you format your SD card, only the data in SD card is formatted while data in the ext2 partition is still left behind. If you want to format your ext2 partition, you can do that too. To do that, goto CWM Recoverymod, choose "mounts and storage">format /sdcard (To format just SD card data) and/or format /sd-ext (To format ext partition data). Use Titanium Backup app to take backup of all the installed app data. This data is backed-up to your SD card, so make sure to copy it to other storage media before you format your SD card. Once you have finished the backup, format both SD card and SD-ext, then copy the backup data back to SD card, reinstall Titanium Backup and Link2SD, run Link2SD to link your ext partition, and finally run Titanium Backup to restore all the previously installed app with data and link the apps back with Link2SD. Hope I helped :)

Reactions: ripper4590

ripper4590

Oct 2, 2012
@mahithm, I formatted my SD card, but the problem is still there. I've ascertained the problem is with my memory card. I scanned it with my anti-virus, check for any disk errors and ran a surface test with Hard disk sentinal. No problems were identified.
One thing's for sure, the apps on my second partition are working fine even the one's who's apk+dex+data are linked.
If I unmount my SD card, the phone worked an whole day without issues. As soon I mounted it, Media Scanner starts and the phone reboots.

My post on the Link2SD thread hasn't got any responses.

I can access all content from my PC (on my FAT32 partition i.e.)

Please Help!

D

Deleted member 5617821

@mahithm, I formatted my SD card, but the problem is still there. I've ascertained the problem is with my memory card. I scanned it with my anti-virus, check for any disk errors and ran a surface test with Hard disk sentinal. No problems were identified.
One thing's for sure, the apps on my second partition are working fine even the one's who's apk+dex+data are linked.
If I unmount my SD card, the phone worked an whole day without issues. As soon I mounted it, Media Scanner starts and the phone reboots.

Please Help!

Can you try again with an another working SD Card? If the problem still persists, I suggest you reinstall this rom. BTW what rom are you using now? Sometimes accidently deleting a system file could cause such errors. If the problem is with your Link2SD, then I suggest using CronMod script to increase your internal memory. All it needs is a rooted phone and an ext partition. Before flashing the script from the CWM recoverymod, don't forget to format your ext partition. Here is the link,

CronMod-INT2EXT

Do post your result. Hope I Helped :)

ripper4590

Oct 2, 2012
Can you try again with an another working SD Card? If the problem still persists, I suggest you reinstall this rom. BTW what rom are you using now? Sometimes accidently deleting a system file could cause such errors. If the problem is with your Link2SD, then I suggest using CronMod script to increase your internal memory. All it needs is a rooted phone and an ext partition. Before flashing the script from the CWM recoverymod, don't forget to format your ext partition. Here is the link,

CronMod-INT2EXT

@mahithm
1. A blank SD card doesn't bootloop.
2. My current SD card when formatted and blank doesn't reboot automatically.
3. When I delete .android_secure folder from SD card, phone works fine.
4. I don't think I deliberately deleted any system files.
5. I haven't changed the ROM. It's the stock ROM of Galaxy Ace.
6. Is it possible that some .asec is interfering with some system file
7. I have ruled out Link2SD as the cause, even deleting the app didn't make a difference.

Fully, this helps you to help he out further.
Thanks!

D

Deleted member 5617821

@mahithm
7. I have ruled out Link2SD as the cause, even deleting the app didn't make a difference.

Thanks!

Can you try reinstalling the stock rom? Don't forget to Wipe data/ fatcory reset, Wipe cache partitions, Mount and Storage> Format /system, Wipe Dalvik cache and Wipe battery stats from CWM Recoverymod before you flash stock rom through odin. Also format both SDcard and ext partition. Use Titanium Backup to take backup of all the application data. Don't install Link2SD and lets see if the problem still persists. Do post the result. Hope I Helped :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    D
    Deleted member 5617821
    thanks for supporting buddy

i think he should try by changing sd card

No problem buddy! Let's wait and see what happens when he uses another SD card :)
    D
    Deleted member 5617821

When you format your SD card, only the data in SD card is formatted while data in the ext2 partition is still left behind. If you want to format your ext2 partition, you can do that too. To do that, goto CWM Recoverymod, choose "mounts and storage">format /sdcard (To format just SD card data) and/or format /sd-ext (To format ext partition data). Use Titanium Backup app to take backup of all the installed app data. This data is backed-up to your SD card, so make sure to copy it to other storage media before you format your SD card. Once you have finished the backup, format both SD card and SD-ext, then copy the backup data back to SD card, reinstall Titanium Backup and Link2SD, run Link2SD to link your ext partition, and finally run Titanium Backup to restore all the previously installed app with data and link the apps back with Link2SD. Hope I helped :)
    D
    Deleted member 5617821

Please Help!

CronMod-INT2EXT

D
    Deleted member 5617821
    @mahithm

Thanks!

Can you try reinstalling the stock rom? Don't forget to Wipe data/ fatcory reset, Wipe cache partitions, Mount and Storage> Format /system, Wipe Dalvik cache and Wipe battery stats from CWM Recoverymod before you flash stock rom through odin. Also format both SDcard and ext partition. Use Titanium Backup to take backup of all the application data. Don't install Link2SD and lets see if the problem still persists. Do post the result. Hope I Helped :)