[Q] Miracast/WiDi support

Search This thread

miklosbard

Mar 22, 2011
Budapest
ANSWER:

The Moto G has Miracast support from the hardware, but it is disabled by default on 4.3. If you want to enable it you need to modify this build.prop: persist.debug.wfd.enable=1
With the 4.4.2 update it is enabled by default.

Original question:

Hello,

Do you guys see any hardware related reasoning behind the wireless display option missing from the Moto G?
Wifi direct is working perfectly and I don't see why is that piece of software is missing.

/M

Last edited:
Reactions: Rotkaeqpchen

miklosbard

Mar 22, 2011
Budapest
It's possible under the KitKat update, the option is restored according to a screengrab on another thread.

since then I found, that it is possible to enable the option through modifying the build props even on 4.3. Do you know if you have seen it on stock 4.4.2?

Sent from my XT1032 using xda app-developers app

rashidul3

Aug 27, 2012
Infusion ROM from till as has miracast enabled and it works, according to till as its a software thing and not hardware. So it may help to check there or use the ROM.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

newuser25

Apr 30, 2012
Build.prop needs to be modified to enable screen mirroring. It is a small change in one line from 0 to 1

persist.debug.wfd.enable=1

Reboot and there should be an option for screen share in settings.

miklosbard

Mar 22, 2011
Budapest
Build.prop needs to be modified to enable screen mirroring. It is a small change in one line from 0 to 1

persist.debug.wfd.enable=1

Reboot and there should be an option for screen share in settings.

next time please read the thread before posting an answer that is already been stated multiple times.

Sent from my phone

eilz

Feb 25, 2006
Miracast

Has anyone managed to get Miracast working using a PTV3000 (push2tv) Netgear device with the Moto G after this amendment?

Would really appreciate any feedback on this.

solowkey

Jan 18, 2011
So i have 4.4.2 Kitkat on my retail (phones4u) Moto G , bu there is no wireless display option ?

I notice it was before the update that people were saying its included in KK , but i have not seen anyone since confirm this.

Should this option be available now , and if so any ideas why i dont have it ?

Thanks

miklosbard

Mar 22, 2011
Budapest
So i have 4.4.2 Kitkat on my retail (phones4u) Moto G , bu there is no wireless display option ?

I notice it was before the update that people were saying its included in KK , but i have not seen anyone since confirm this.

Should this option be available now , and if so any ideas why i dont have it ?

Thanks

it is there, but missing the part where you can enable it. settings/display/cast screen

there should be a menu button (which is missing) where you could switch it on

Sent from my phone

solowkey

Jan 18, 2011
it is there, but missing the part where you can enable it. settings/display/cast screen

there should be a menu button (which is missing) where you could switch it on

Sent from my phone

Yeah i got that , but from what i read the 4.4.2 update enabled to the button, not on mine : (

Thanks

artov

Jan 17, 2012
amsterdam
I have this Miracast dongle: http://www.ebay.com/itm/WIFI-Displa...-AirPlay-Wireless-TV-Share-NEW-/380780733199?

My phone does make a connection to the dongle with Wifi direct (see pic). Also under Wifi settings --> Wifi direct it lists the connection as active. According to the manual of the dongle, when it says 'Ready to display', it should start the screen casting. Unfortunately it doesn't. It also doesn't show anything under display --> cast screen.

Everything seems to be in place with the connection. I'm wondering whether our devices miss the supporting hardware, or that it's just a disabled setting by Motorola to not cannibalize on the Moto X.

Attachments

• IMG_20140129_185910015.jpg
    IMG_20140129_185910015.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 451

OTA_

Feb 21, 2014
Up for this

I was looking for Miracast dongle for my TV to link it with the G, because of the cast option after kk update...

But now i m not sure at all that the G can do it :silly:

can you please share your experiences with Moto g cast?

miklosbard

Mar 22, 2011
Budapest
Up for this

I was looking for Miracast dongle for my TV to link it with the G, because of the cast option after kk update...

On latest kitkat, with root I was able to change the for mentioned build property, then I was able to enable wireless display and LG 660s TV showed up and I was able to duplicate my scree with around half a second lag perfectly. Afterwards however I was not able to reconnect, somehow it tries to connect multiple times and kills the previous connection. I read somewhere that it's the TV's fault, but I cannot be sure until I try out with an other one

Sent from my phone

Reactions: denzel09 and OTA_

marc_miranda

Feb 6, 2014
On latest kitkat, with root I was able to change the for mentioned build property, then I was able to enable wireless display and LG 660s TV showed up and I was able to duplicate my scree with around half a second lag perfectly. Afterwards however I was not able to reconnect, somehow it tries to connect multiple times and kills the previous connection. I read somewhere that it's the TV's fault, but I cannot be sure until I try out with an other one

Sent from my phone

Could you mention what you changed exactly? I'm willing to try too

Sent from my XT1032 using XDA premium app
Don't forget to hit thanks if I helped!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Up for this

Sent from my phone
    ANSWER:

The Moto G has Miracast support from the hardware, but it is disabled by default on 4.3. If you want to enable it you need to modify this build.prop: persist.debug.wfd.enable=1
    With the 4.4.2 update it is enabled by default.

Original question:

Hello,

Do you guys see any hardware related reasoning behind the wireless display option missing from the Moto G?
    Wifi direct is working perfectly and I don't see why is that piece of software is missing.

/M
    It's possible under the KitKat update, the option is restored according to a screengrab on another thread.
    persist.debug.wfd.enable 0 -> 1
    Hey guys, I just tried the Chromecast screen casting and it works flawlessly but you need to apply the screen cast workaround. I was able to view my web pages on my CC connected TV. Lag is not noticeable and the animations are silky smooth.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone