[Q] Moving app Data to External SD card

Search This thread

smartabbas

Oct 28, 2012
Mumbai
Hi Guys,
I have karbonn A15 android ICS(4.0.4) smartphone, its not rooted.
I want to move the app Data to my external sd card, i tried to move the data folder from the internal SD (android/data) to External SD (root folder), just to check whether it releases any memory in the storage section in phone settings. but the internal storage was same, there was no change, can anyone tell me where does the app data resides in the internal memory, its fine if i can move app data manually to the external sd card.
I also want some clarification on below questions:
1. Also i want to know whether there is any risk rooting phone like (Bricking Phone), as i have bricked my previous Galaxy Ace when i rooted and used ROM manager.
2. Also i have heard about Folder Binding app which automatically transfers App Data to External Sd Card, is there any risk of bricking phone.
3. Whats the easiest method to root Karbonn A15 phone, i am not that tech savvy, so easiest method would be grateful in rooting device.

My concern is just to move App Data to External Sd Card, because i have some app whose Data increase very frequently (E.g: FireFox app).

TouchLeclouds

Jun 23, 2013
touchleclouds.webs.com
Moving apps to EXT_SD

Hi Guys,
I want to move the app Data to my external sd card, i tried to move the data folder from the internal SD (android/data) to External SD (root folder), just to check whether it releases any memory in the storage section in phone settings. but the internal storage was same, there was no change, can anyone tell me where does the app data resides in the internal memory, its fine if i can move app data manually to the external sd card.
1. Also i want to know whether there is any risk rooting phone like (Bricking Phone), as i have bricked my previous Galaxy Ace when i rooted and used ROM manager.
2. Also i have heard about Folder Binding app which automatically transfers App Data to External Sd Card, is there any risk of bricking phone.
3. Whats the easiest method to root Karbonn A15 phone, i am not that tech savvy, so easiest method would be grateful in rooting device.

My concern is just to move App Data to External Sd Card, because i have some app whose Data increase very frequently (E.g: FireFox app).

Rooting:
here are the steps

the driver files are included on the phone internal card called pcdrivers.zip. you can connect the usb mount the internal usb storage and copy the file to your pc. if you face any problems you can download the file from here

1. Enable USB Debugging -> Under SETTINGS -> DEVELOPER OPTIONS
2. Install the drivers for the phone.
3. download "Android Root Unlock" from sourceforge.net and extract it to your Disktop
4. navigate to the above folder and run the batch file ICS_Root_Unlocker.bat
the batch file will reboot your phone a couple of times and will wait with a message "Press Any Key to continue"
IMPORTANT NOTE : if you PC is saying "PRESS ANY KEY" note if your phone is on or rebooting....
if it is Rebooting, wait for it to start before pressing a key
5. After a couple of boots the phone will be rooted
6. verify that the Root is complete by observing a "Superuser" shortcut in the application list

Moving Apps:
Once rooted, download Folder Mount From the Play Store
- Once installed, open FolderMount and grant superuser access when asked.
- In FolderMount, you have the options to:

- Name your folder (IE: "Generic Game 1")
- Select the "Source" Folder (the one on your local storage)
- Select the "Destination" Folder (the one on your SD Card)

When you enter these details, it will then move them to your SD Card!

I highly recomend FolderMount Pro, because it also shows you filesizes when browsing.

Common Locations of Large Files:

Two common locations for games (IE: Gameloft games, EA Games, etc.)
Android/data
Android/obb

I know it's not the easiest process ever, but hopefully I've explained it enough to get people started.
Hit the Like button if i helped :good:

urhacked

Jul 21, 2013
Moving apps to SD Card

Just download the app link2sd and movew apps to SD card
You must have root for this

Press the thanks button if i helped you

guptasuneet

Aug 12, 2013
Rooting:
here are the steps

the driver files are included on the phone internal card called pcdrivers.zip. you can connect the usb mount the internal usb storage and copy the file to your pc. if you face any problems you can download the file from here

3. download "Android Root Unlock" from sourceforge.net and extract it to your Disktop
the batch file will reboot your phone a couple of times and will wait with a message "Press Any Key to continue"
IMPORTANT NOTE : if you PC is saying "PRESS ANY KEY" note if your phone is on or rebooting....
6. verify that the Root is complete by observing a "Superuser" shortcut in the application list

Moving Apps:

I highly recomend FolderMount Pro, because it also shows you filesizes when browsing.

Android/data
Android/obb

I know it's not the easiest process ever, but hopefully I've explained it enough to get people started.

Is there any method/app that can provide a similar functionality without rooting the phone? I tried rooting my Karbonn A21 without success and do not really want to brick it?

Also is there any way of backing up the phone and app data before rooting? Will the existing apps and data be wiped out by rooting?

Thanks in advance.

TouchLeclouds

Jun 23, 2013
touchleclouds.webs.com
Is there any method/app that can provide a similar functionality without rooting the phone? I tried rooting my Karbonn A21 without success and do not really want to brick it?

Also is there any way of backing up the phone and app data before rooting? Will the existing apps and data be wiped out by rooting?

Thanks in advance.

You can use App2SD but you have to check if your device is compatible or not.

you can use Kies to backup your apps, settings, etc.

Dont forget to hit the like button if i helped :good:

jamespoo

Mar 6, 2009
use DS Super App2SD Lite it will work if your phone is rooted and it can move the app and app data to the sd card :)

Reactions: benna

RyuzakiLemon

Jun 3, 2014
foldermount

so quick question, i transferred games to external sd, worked fine and all, but after a while my games asked me to download the files again, anyone know a solution?

smartzac

Aug 22, 2011
I m using foldermount but there is write error mention that was unable to write into the external sdcard caused by a permission issue where normal apps are not able to write anything into storage/ext_sd. What should I do next to solve this problem? Attempt to recover using the apps not solving it.

smartzac

Aug 22, 2011
This is what i mean.

Attachments

• 1408334837535.jpg
    1408334837535.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,826

technojohn

Sep 11, 2014
Moving app Data to External SD card

in particular the movement of android apps data from internal memory to SD card is a simple process, but the problem with these issues is your smartphone is to be a latest version like 4.3 version.

sasrosan

Sep 2, 2015
Idea

Can I move the game folders from Internal Storage: Android/data -> SD card: Android/data, will it work on non rooted phone? In the Data folder on the SD card are partition of some apps and they work just fine. Same with folder "obb".

Hesham Aref H

Mar 12, 2016
Al fayoum city-sinouris
moving apps data and obb to External sdcard.

I recommend using an app called folder mount. ..it needs root but it's as easy as fishing in a barrel. .. I am using It and it works fine... and now you have a clear space in your internal storage.

Last edited:

sherif.89

Jun 25, 2017
Hey, I followed above instructions and my phone Samsung S5 6.0.1 successfully rooted, but now I've entered into an endless restarting loop.
Please help what's the problem might be?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Moving apps to EXT_SD

Hi Guys,

Rooting:
    here are the steps

Moving Apps:

Android/data
    Android/obb

use DS Super App2SD Lite it will work if your phone is rooted and it can move the app and app data to the sd card :)