• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] MTP, PTP, USB Mass Storage

Search This thread

mikey_xda

Jan 24, 2012
What is the difference between MTP and PTP on the TouchPad with CM9?
Is there a Mass Storage mode available? (MTP and PTP don't mount the tablet as an USB storage device).
Thank you!

Last edited:

bobtidey

Jul 5, 2011
Reactions: mikey_xda

ve6ay

Nov 20, 2010
Alberta
MTP is the closest to Mass Storage mode at the moment, until they can make it work with ICS. From what I can tell, it's a widespread issue with many of the ICS Rom's out there.

Reactions: mikey_xda

mikey_xda

Jan 24, 2012
Thank you both for replying. It seems MTP makes more sense than USB mass storage and is safer too.
Actually, for moving files around I found out wifi solutions like AirDroid are convenient and I don't have to plug in the cable.

bobtidey

Jul 5, 2011
Thank you both for replying. It seems MTP makes more sense than USB mass storage and is safer too.
Actually, for moving files around I found out wifi solutions like AirDroid are convenient and I don't have to plug in the cable.

Yes. Wifi connections avoid the need to plug cable in much. ES File Explorer, which is a very good file manager, can also see network shares on PCs over the wifi network avoiding the need for a separate app.

I still do use cable connection when transferring large files like Nandroid backupsas it is faster.

Alarbus

Aug 27, 2010
Vermont
Make sure you use a USB2 port!

I kept having issues copying files to both my Galaxy Nexus and Touchpad until I realized I was using a v1 port. Swapped some cables around and it's working great.

mikey_xda

Jan 24, 2012
I have tried ES File Explorer and it is slower than AirDroid when transferring larger files. On the other hand, it is more convenient because you can manage the transfers from the tablet (on AirDroid you do all stuff on the PC).

doss20us

May 10, 2014
Hi , My name is Ramadoss.N, I have converted 2 Hp touchpad into KitKat 4.4.4 using Hptoolbox V42 and cynogenmod 11 with other zip fils. It works very good. The conversions are done via MacBook .The problem is HP touchpad is not recoganised by my MacBook Air to transfer music. Is there anything to be done in Settings. If the please let me know to my mail id. My mail id is [email protected]. Thank you in advance and looking for your response.

Top Liked Posts