[Q] MTP Sucks - Can we get USB MS Back?

DroidBois

Jul 1, 2010
Canberra
I very much wish we did. MTP is absolute garbage.
It's BEYOND garbage, no matter what OS I run it on. For example it fails to see recent files in my podcast client DoggCatcher directory so I can export it, so I have to manually upload via DropBox and pull it down from there - WTF??????????? On both my Nexus devices... IT'S CRAP!!!

What on EARTH were Google thinking with this GARBAGE??

So is there NO way around this?? Even on bare metal native Windows 8 with hardly anything else running, it STILL lags and misses files and complains about MP3's every time I try to transfer them...

Did Google provide any explanation for this garbage? And we can't even mount USB from recovery?? So what do we do if we can't boot in to our device and need to copy files across??

Seriously, I'd really like Google to explain this crap.

Just because iCrap devices do stupid stuff doesn't mean we have to??

Could we mount external storage from recovery using this USB OTG thing? Which I've never used BTW so have no idea how it works.

What about if the file system is EXT4 - surely we could mount it in at least Linux?

Last edited:
Reactions: nitrous²

El Daddy

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2008
Roseville, MN
It's BEYOND garbage, no matter what OS I run it on. For example it fails to see recent files in my podcast client DoggCatcher directory so I can export it, so I have to manually upload via DropBox and pull it down from there - WTF??????????? On both my Nexus devices... IT'S CRAP!!!

What on EARTH were Google thinking with this GARBAGE??

There is no need to mount/unmount with MTP

So is there NO way around this?? Even on bare metal native Windows 8 with hardly anything else running, it STILL lags and misses files and complains about MP3's every time I try to transfer them...

There is no way around this

Did Google provide any explanation for this garbage? And we can't even mount USB from recovery?? So what do we do if we can't boot in to our device and need to copy files across??

Yes they did. (see answer to first question) NO. Push files using ADB

Seriously, I'd really like Google to explain this crap.

They did

Just because iCrap devices do stupid stuff doesn't mean we have to??

Claiming MTP is stupid is subjective

Could we mount external storage from recovery using this USB OTG thing? Which I've never used BTW so have no idea how it works.

USB OTB is not supported on the N4

What about if the file system is EXT4 - surely we could mount it in at least Linux?

No

Reactions: buru898

Alex240188

May 4, 2010
Hull
You could Mount it in Linux.
In android /sdcard is fused so you can't Mount it while booted.

However in recovery (at least twrp) it is mounted as ext4. However you would have to modify twrp sources and compile a version that will physically Mount the partition so you could then access it in only Linux and only in recovery

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

jjchdc

Oct 4, 2009
Kansas City
I use several Linux distros and have no problem mounting my N4 while it's on. Just make sure Settings>Developer Options>USB Debbuging is unchecked and it should work like a charm. The same may work for Windows but I don't know.

Alex240188

May 4, 2010
Hull
You are still mounting as mtp in Linux though.
The op is requesting a method to Mount as a storage device rather than the standard media device which is native to the nexus 4

Reactions: dandv

DroidBois

Jul 1, 2010
Canberra
You are still mounting as mtp in Linux though.
The op is requesting a method to Mount as a storage device rather than the standard media device which is native to the nexus 4

It's still crap no matter what. For example being unable to see latest files in the DoggCatcher directory is just retarded, when a file manager sees the OPML export fine but I have to export via DropBox, and how it complains about MP3 files and so on.

Big deal about mounting. If that's the only explanation I don't get it. Maybe many people struggled with that I guess, but we don't have MTP on USB drives (yet, I hope it never happens!)

Does MTP mount in Linux Mint ok? Maybe it's just Windows that's annoying and crappy with it and maybe with the right config it works fine in Linux? I'm fine using either, I run both simultaneously but generally prefer Linux because it's faster, simpler, more streamlined and just WORKS without all these annoying 'features' and polite corporate marketing driven notifications every five seconds like I'm some moron that needs to be carefully 'let down' that 'your application MAY have crashed and you MAY have lost SOME of your data' - argh...

ADB push may work in recovery then if I need it... and can you ADB push an entire directory? Say if I have recorded radio streams, can I just pull up ADB in Linux and 'sync' or push the entire directory and be done with it?

El Daddy

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2008
Roseville, MN
ADB push may work in recovery then if I need it... and can you ADB push an entire directory? Say if I have recorded radio streams, can I just pull up ADB in Linux and 'sync' or push the entire directory and be done with it?
Yes. You can push and pull any directory you'd like.

adb pull /sdcard/xxxx/

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

YatharthROCK

Feb 22, 2014
USB Storage option available again!

I think somewhere in ICS OR JB (I'm on Carbon KitKat) they introduced a method to disconnect your SD card from the phone and mount it as USB storage. A bit convoluted, but it works perfect on my Ubuntu machine allowing for instant-updates and parallel file operations.

dandv

Aug 6, 2006
California
wiki.dandascalescu.com
How do you mount only the SD Card as USB Mass Storage?

I think somewhere in ICS OR JB (I'm on Carbon KitKat) they introduced a method to disconnect your SD card from the phone and mount it as USB storage. A bit convoluted, but it works perfect on my Ubuntu machine allowing for instant-updates and parallel file operations.
Can you share how you managed to mount the SD card as USB storage?