[Q] Multitude of chargers, bad?

Search This thread

ppdebie

Aug 11, 2010
So, just bought a 2013 Nexus 7 (had to drive to Germany, but worth it) and was wondering something.
I've been an android device fan for quite a while, so I've got quite collection of chargers and USB cables. This differs from official Samsung and Asus cables/chargers, to Chinese bought USB cables, 230V->USB converters, car chargers (chinese too) etc.

I was wondering if all these different chargers can be bad for my devices? Do they have a negative influence on battery life? Or is the worse that can happen a slower charging cycle?

farukb

Jul 26, 2007
Sarajevo
Samsung and Asus are also Chinese chargers, so brand name doesn't make much difference anyway...
You only have to check DC output of the charger, and if that matches to Asus' charger (which is 99.999% chance) you're all good to go.

But the decision is yours, and you will have only yourself to blame if anything happens. (which probably won't...but you can never be certain of anything in life)

Cheers!

Reactions: KeyzerSuze

veehexx

May 6, 2009
As a general rule in life you do get what you pay for. Branded chargers will always be better than that cheap charger you got with that £5 dock :p

Sometimes it may not be bad for the device, but cheaper ones tend to be less efficient, so 70% rather than 85%, which equates to a higher electricity bill (not really noticeable with phone chargers though as draw is so small) and may give off interference as they are badly shielded.
So far I've not had any issues using either cheap or branded chargers, but I do tend to go with the branded stuff if I have one to use.

edit: also, slower charging *generally* means longer battery life. i think it's an exponential thing though, so 500mA charge is will not give twice the battery life of 1000mA (1amp) charges. not sure where i picked this up from though but i'm sure you'll find plenty of people agreeing or contradicting things like this :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ppdebie

ppdebie

Aug 11, 2010
So I get the 'you get what you pay for' remark.
Now, at work I have an official samsung charger from my galaxy S I, or from my galaxy nexus, i can't even remember. This is a brand charger, but a different brand. So I can assume this is fine for the N7/2nd?

TheAltruistic

Dec 31, 2012
New York
Speaking of which, do you (or anyone else on here!) have any chargers that they'd recommend that has multiple USB ports (2 or more). Preferably one which supports 1.0 mAh per port, at a decent price (5-8 USD or less)?

Thanks! :good:

ppdebie

Aug 11, 2010
Speaking of which, do you (or anyone else on here!) have any chargers that they'd recommend that has multiple USB ports (2 or more). Preferably one which supports 1.0 mAh per port, at a decent price (5-8 USD or less)?

Thanks! :good:

I can't recommend any specific ones, but I use a website called dx often for similar supplies (not sure about the forum rules of stating websites, so hence just the two letters. Should point you right at them though).

farukb

Jul 26, 2007
Sarajevo
you can't post links, that's all...
(you have to become a "member" and to do that you have to post 10 posts)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Samsung and Asus are also Chinese chargers, so brand name doesn't make much difference anyway...
    You only have to check DC output of the charger, and if that matches to Asus' charger (which is 99.999% chance) you're all good to go.

But the decision is yours, and you will have only yourself to blame if anything happens. (which probably won't...but you can never be certain of anything in life)

Cheers!
    As a general rule in life you do get what you pay for. Branded chargers will always be better than that cheap charger you got with that £5 dock :p

Sometimes it may not be bad for the device, but cheaper ones tend to be less efficient, so 70% rather than 85%, which equates to a higher electricity bill (not really noticeable with phone chargers though as draw is so small) and may give off interference as they are badly shielded.
    So far I've not had any issues using either cheap or branded chargers, but I do tend to go with the branded stuff if I have one to use.

edit: also, slower charging *generally* means longer battery life. i think it's an exponential thing though, so 500mA charge is will not give twice the battery life of 1000mA (1amp) charges. not sure where i picked this up from though but i'm sure you'll find plenty of people agreeing or contradicting things like this :)