[Q] Need help with Nextbook Ares (NXA116QC164) Lollipop 5.0

jeztur2003

Jan 17, 2011
I just picked up this tablet from Walmart yesterday for $197 it comes factory with Lollipop 5.0. Here's my problem: From what I've researched Lollipop 5.0 has a memory leak Nextbook has not released any update for this tablet so i'm stuck on 5.0 with the memory leak and almost every app i try to run crashes within a minute. I am interested in putting KitKat on this tablet or doing some sort of work around the memory leak. I realize this is a very new tablet so I can give any information necessary such as pics or video and specs. Thanks.

SimpleTool

Dec 21, 2013
I just picked up this tablet from Walmart yesterday for $197 it comes factory with Lollipop 5.0. Here's my problem: From what I've researched Lollipop 5.0 has a memory leak Nextbook has not released any update for this tablet so i'm stuck on 5.0 with the memory leak and almost every app i try to run crashes within a minute. I am interested in putting KitKat on this tablet or doing some sort of work around the memory leak. I realize this is a very new tablet so I can give any information necessary such as pics or video and specs. Thanks.
Some apps are not compatible with lollipop just yet.
Google has just released android 5.1, It will probably come to your device pretty soon.
My advice? Wait.

whaevr

May 25, 2013
My advice? Wait.
Yeah, that isn't going to cut it for me. This is XDA we're talking about here. Not the NextBook help forums. This tablet is most definitely affected by the memory leak bug. And the "FreakTab" forum that I found that originally found/released how to root the Nextbook 8 tablet is quoted as saying this

And that is in reference to this tablet. I could see them providing an update this time since this is obviously a bit of a show stopping bug, but I'm not willing to wait that long. Whenever that will be. If anyone reading this could point me in the direction of some knowledgeable people that might be willing to help with this. That would be great!

SimpleTool

Dec 21, 2013
Yeah, that isn't going to cut it for me. This is XDA we're talking about here. Not the NextBook help forums. This tablet is most definitely affected by the memory leak bug. And the "FreakTab" forum that I found that originally found/released how to root the Nextbook 8 tablet is quoted as saying this

And that is in reference to this tablet. I could see them providing an update this time since this is obviously a bit of a show stopping bug, but I'm not willing to wait that long. Whenever that will be. If anyone reading this could point me in the direction of some knowledgeable people that might be willing to help with this. That would be great!
This tablet is relatively new and most people don't know what it is.
Development will start if people have a passion to fix this tablet.

Waiting is the key.

whaevr

May 25, 2013
Development will start if people have a passion to fix this tablet.
Which is what I'm actively expressing here, why wait for the "other" people to fix it? :) Do I know how to exploit the stock 5.0 version of android and get the su binary on it? No. But I like to think that I'm pretty knowledgeable (and I own this thing, so theres that) and will run any number of commands to get the right information to the right people. Was just posting here as a means to advertise that. Being told to wait right in the Development and Hacking section is a bit discouraging

SimpleTool

Dec 21, 2013
Which is what I'm actively expressing here, why wait for the "other" people to fix it? :) Do I know how to exploit the stock 5.0 version of android and get the su binary on it? No. But I like to think that I'm pretty knowledgeable (and I own this thing, so theres that) and will run any number of commands to get the right information to the right people. Was just posting here as a means to advertise that. Being told to wait right in the Development and Hacking section is a bit discouraging
If you want to fix this device. Fine. I'll give you guys instructions.

Rooting: Using an app like towelroot or framaroot will work fine for most devices. If not, use a app like Kingo to do the root for you.

ROMS: There is no roms for the Nextbook Ares, so you'll need to port the rom yourselfs. (Be warned, it's hard.)

Fixing the memory leak in lollipop:
If you can't wait for the update, you'll going to need to use Xposed Module (root is needed)

Once you rooted and installed the Xposed, you need to install this module made by tonyp specifically. No other will work.
Xposed is ABSOLUTELY needed in this case.

It should work.

:)

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
Developers generally only develop things for devices they own and to be honest very very would get that tablet.

Your best bet is to get comfortable with Linux and dig in. Who knows you maybe the one that provides root for it.

As for your comment a out them pushing an update, don't count on it. Many tabs sold at walmart have huge security holes that were never fixed. Rememeber you get what you pay for. A cheap tablet is seldom good and a good tablet is seldom cheap.

whaevr

May 25, 2013
If you want to fix this device. Fine. I'll give you guys instructions.

Rooting: Using an app like towelroot or framaroot will work fine for most devices. If not, use a app like Kingo to do the root for you.
The first two I'm thinking aren't even meant to root Lollipop.. Pretty sure they were made for Kitkat & lower. Kingo? Seems to be my best bet but also wasn't able to root, I'll be sending them a log to them but who knows. Can't do much else till I get root

altimuh

Feb 8, 2011
The first two I'm thinking aren't even meant to root Lollipop.. Pretty sure they were made for Kitkat & lower. Kingo? Seems to be my best bet but also wasn't able to root, I'll be sending them a log to them but who knows. Can't do much else till I get root
Status?

I saw this tablet at Wallyworld and thought - that might not be bad, if it could be rooted.

What's your thoughts on it so far? Battery life, performance (or lack thereof).....

Thanks

whaevr

May 25, 2013
Status?

I saw this tablet at Wallyworld and thought - that might not be bad, if it could be rooted.

What's your thoughts on it so far? Battery life, performance (or lack thereof).....

Thanks
Not much I've been busy with life lately, so many damn papers to write.. I haven't even sent the log into the Kingo team yet as my own laptop isn't a windows one.

I love the tablet though! I use it for note taking mostly but its really great for the price, especially with that included keyboard. I find with my light use of note-taking/redditing/browsing it uses about 10% battery an hour? Maybe a bit less than that. This is without me doing/trying anything to improve the battery life. Switching apps deff is much slower than it should be though. Especially if you go from one memory intensive app to another like Google Docs -> Chrome. Once it redraws everything though it is fast to use. And if it doesn't have to redraw the app you're switching to it is very speedy to open it up. I can live with the minor lag for what I use it for and I'm happy with it, but man it could be a really nice deal instead of an "alright" one if they would fix this damn leak.

I disagree with Developers not wanting this tablet...? Think its an odd statement. Its a great buy for what you get. Do Developers only buy the latest and greatest flagship devices 100% of the time? Developers never want to value shop? 11.6 inch display, an external keyboard, quad core processor, etc. I would love to have the ability to tweak this thing as much as I can tweak my m8. I'm positive it would fly if I could.

Reactions: wiseman9871

altimuh

Feb 8, 2011
Not much I've been busy with life lately, so many damn papers to write.. I haven't even sent the log into the Kingo team yet as my own laptop isn't a windows one.

I love the tablet though! I use it for note taking mostly but its really great for the price, especially with that included keyboard. I find with my light use of note-taking/redditing/browsing it uses about 10% battery an hour? Maybe a bit less than that. This is without me doing/trying anything to improve the battery life. Switching apps deff is much slower than it should be though. Especially if you go from one memory intensive app to another like Google Docs -> Chrome. Once it redraws everything though it is fast to use. And if it doesn't have to redraw the app you're switching to it is very speedy to open it up. I can live with the minor lag for what I use it for and I'm happy with it, but man it could be a really nice deal instead of an "alright" one if they would fix this damn leak.

I disagree with Developers not wanting this tablet...? Think its an odd statement. Its a great buy for what you get. Do Developers only buy the latest and greatest flagship devices 100% of the time? Developers never want to value shop? 11.6 inch display, an external keyboard, quad core processor, etc. I would love to have the ability to tweak this thing as much as I can tweak my m8. I'm positive it would fly if I could.
Thanks for your thoughts on this tablet - I understand your frustration.

I've been trying to figure out if this newer & larger tablet is worth it, or if it would be a better bang for the buck going with the Nextbook 8/7.85 at only $79. It seems like that tablet has a few more people interested - there's root support a tweaked rom (even a beta lollipop rom for it). I just want decent battery life (4 or more hours of screen time). Perhaps the developer(s) who did the rom for the smaller can help out with the larger one? freaktab.com and also http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2762092

Dec 29, 2014
i just picked this tablet up as well, i'm a gadget junkie and need another tablet like i need cancer, but, for the price i could not resist. i have been hit with the memory leak bug and apps crashing, but, it is infrequent. the tablet does have some down falls: screen resolution, 1G RAM, a bit on the heavy side and thats about it. outside of those issues (they are big ones) i have to say i could not be happier. i have shelved my nexus 9 since getting the nextbook ares and have yet to pick it back up. $ for $ i cant see a better value out there, love the detachable keyboard and the fact it has a track pad, no complaints with battery life, and am really enjoying the tablet / laptop combo in an android device. it would great to see some of the devs get ahold of this device and at least get root, that would be awesome.

whaevr

May 25, 2013
Thanks for your thoughts on this tablet - I understand your frustration.

I've been trying to figure out if this newer & larger tablet is worth it, or if it would be a better bang for the buck going with the Nextbook 8/7.85 at only $79. It seems like that tablet has a few more people interested - there's root support a tweaked rom (even a beta lollipop rom for it). I just want decent battery life (4 or more hours of screen time). Perhaps the developer(s) who did the rom for the smaller can help out with the larger one? freaktab.com and also http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2762092
Interesting, well I tried using Cydia Impactor to create the driver and then ran Kingo again. This time I let it run till it gave me the "Root Failed" message...which took about 10minutes and two reboots of the tablet. Before this I figured the program was stuck in a loop since it seemed to be looping the same messages over and over. Must have just been trying a lot of different exploits? Either way I just sent the log file off to Kingo along with some other details. Hopefully that helps?

Also the person who rooted the Nextbook 8 I realized is who I quoted earlier in the thread as saying "Nextbook almost never provides any software updates or after sale support..." and if you read that linked thread on freaktab he also says this on the same thread..

I think I'll stick with KitKat for awhile...

ShaunMT
Heres to hoping that changes :eek: can't hurt to reach out to him though ? Reading through that thread they seem to be unaware that there is a confirmed fix for the memory leak. Maybe that would peak interest

Last edited:

whaevr

May 25, 2013
Any news about the FW update?
Well apparently SRSRoot supports this tablet now?

However, I ran it today and this was my log

---= SRS One-Click-Root v4.7 =---

1:56:07 PM - Starting ADB Server..
1:56:13 PM - Manufacturer: Yifang
1:56:13 PM - Model: NXA116QC164
1:56:13 PM - Android Version: 5.0
1:56:13 PM - Build ID: V3.2.0.LRX21V.20150203.034024
1:56:13 PM - Board ID: baytrail
1:56:13 PM - Chipset Platform: baytrail
1:56:13 PM - Getting OffSets.. : (False)
1:56:16 PM - Query Server for Best Method.. Found Rootkit: 4

----= Start Rooting Process.. Please Wait =----

1:56:19 PM [+] Testing exploit: root4 (please wait..)
1:56:22 PM [+] Device Reboot #1 (Wait till it's started)
1:59:10 PM [+] Device Reboot #2 (Wait till it's started)
2:02:11 PM [+] Remounting /system Filesystem as R/W..
2:02:12 PM [+] Installing SU Binary...
2:02:12 PM [+] Installing SuperUser APK...
2:02:12 PM [+] Remounting /system Filesystem as R/O..

2:02:18 PM [+] Rooting Complete !
Great! Except right after it says "Rooting Complete!" The device reboots a third time and...there appears to be no root present on the device when it boots back up :(...In fact clicking the "UnRoot Device" button gave me this log

2:09:00 PM - Starting ADB Server..
2:09:05 PM - Manufacturer: Yifang
2:09:05 PM - Model: NXA116QC164
2:09:05 PM - Android Version: 5.0
2:09:05 PM - Build ID: V3.2.0.LRX21V.20150203.034024
2:09:05 PM - Board ID: baytrail
2:09:05 PM - Chipset Platform: baytrail
2:09:05 PM - Getting OffSets.. : (False)

[x] Device is not rooted, UnRooting not needed.
So perhaps it worked at one point? Doesn't seem to work now unless I'm missing a step or something...anyone know of a way to contact the people behind SRSRoot?

edit:
I had allow install from unknown sources checked and obviously had usb debugging enabled when I tried this aswell, just to throw it out there

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2014
Well apparently SRSRoot supports this tablet now?

However, I ran it today and this was my log

Great! Except right after it says "Rooting Complete!" The device reboots a third time and...there appears to be no root present on the device when it boots back up :(...In fact clicking the "UnRoot Device" button gave me this log

So perhaps it worked at one point? Doesn't seem to work now unless I'm missing a step or something...anyone know of a way to contact the people behind SRSRoot?

edit:
I had allow install from unknown sources checked and obviously had usb debugging enabled when I tried this aswell, just to throw it out there
any luck with getting this root method to work?

minnemike81

Feb 10, 2013
If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd love to get this thing rooted...and maybe custom fw?

I also found this thread. Does this work for root on this tablet?

Intel Android Devices Root / Temp CWM Session by social-design-concepts

Last edited:

whaevr

May 25, 2013
Nope. :\

Redownloaded SRSRoot today and ran as they seem to update it pretty regularly. Now my log came out to this

11:20:14 AM - Starting ADB Server..
11:20:20 AM - Manufacturer: Yifang
11:20:20 AM - Model: NXA116QC164
11:20:20 AM - Android Version: 5.0
11:20:20 AM - Build ID: V3.2.0.LRX21V.20150203.034024
11:20:20 AM - Board ID: baytrail
11:20:21 AM - Chipset Platform: baytrail
11:20:21 AM - Getting OffSets.. : (False)
11:20:24 AM - Query Server for Best Method.. Found Rootkit: 6

----= Start Rooting Process.. Please Wait =----

11:20:24 AM [+] Testing exploit: root8 (please wait..)
11:20:48 AM [+] Remounting /system Filesystem as R/W..
11:20:48 AM [+] Installing SU Binary...
11:20:49 AM [+] Installing SuperUser APK...
11:20:49 AM [+] Remounting /system Filesystem as R/O..

11:20:55 AM [+] Rooting Complete !
This time around it used the exploit "root8" and as you can see from the timestamps things went a lot quicker this time. All under a minute.

BUT. Same ****; device reboots and I have no supersu app in drawer, I clicked "unroot device" button gives me this

11:26:02 AM - Starting ADB Server..
11:26:07 AM - Manufacturer: Yifang
11:26:07 AM - Model: NXA116QC164
11:26:07 AM - Android Version: 5.0
11:26:07 AM - Build ID: V3.2.0.LRX21V.20150203.034024
11:26:07 AM - Board ID: baytrail
11:26:08 AM - Chipset Platform: baytrail
11:26:08 AM - Getting OffSets.. : (False)

[x] Device is not rooted, UnRooting not needed.
I also noticed that this tablet has encryption enabled...do we need to disable that first for this to work? Is that what I'm doing wrong here? It would make sense if the filesystem/data is encrypted on the tablet the program would be unable to place the files on the system but, you would think it would tell me if that was the case?

Last edited:

NeoShade

Nov 18, 2013
I picked up one for myself as well as one for my mom, and one for my mother-in-law for mothers day. The tablet seems to be decent for the price. If it had 2GB ram and 32GB rom it would be awesome.

As far as basic tasks and games it is fine though. I also would love root access. I'll begin searching as well...