[Q] Need help with Nextbook Ares (NXA116QC164) Lollipop 5.0

Search This thread

whaevr

May 25, 2013
18271-good-news-everyone-i-was-just-kidding-professor-farnsworth-wallpaper-1280x1280-1-750x410.jpg

Turns out, there is an x86 version of Xposed for Lollipop! Much like the T4 root method, this is also a nice gift from the Zenphone community

Download zip, backup tablet if we haven't already, hook tablet up with usb debug and run the right installer files. The tablet should restart once Xposed is on and reboot. It'll have to optimize all the apps over and you should be good.

Also throwing this out there for those of you that want to use the Online Nandroid Backup app to backup the tablet. Here is the partition layout file for the tablet so the app can do a proper backup. Just paste that into a file named "partlayout4nandroid" save, and paste the file into /system with a root file explorer. This file just tells Nandroid what partitions to backup

Looking nice here :good:

Last edited:
Reactions: breeside223

vampirefo

Apr 3, 2010
Did you flash the fix for memory leak? And did it help?

Sent from my NXA8QC116 using Tapatalk

whaevr

May 25, 2013
Did you flash the fix for memory leak? And did it help?

Sent from my NXA8QC116 using Tapatalk

In the Xposed log pic I posted, the memory leak fix is indeed loaded and running (last line)

I honestly didn't get to spend much time actually using the tablet/watching ram usage besides putting Xposed on and some other modules though. So far I have Greenify, Powernap, and the Memory Leak Fix modules enabled. I put Powernap on before turning in lastnight and when I woke up this morning I found the tablet only used .3% battery per hour! Pretty awesome standby life now :D

I probably should have snapped a screenshot of that but it was early, wasn't exactly fully awake...

Aside from the power-saving things though, I'm not really looking to go too crazy on other xposed modules. Kinda interested in what was posted about the minfree values in post 40 though. Might mess around with that for now. Looks like I'm going to be doing some reading about ZRam and memory management settings..

Last edited:

vampirefo

Apr 3, 2010
I am only interested in the memory leak, I doubt the tablet will get the required update from next book.
Also I am on cell phone can't make out the pics, Hopefully the memory leak patch is working, I never used xposed before my only interest it is memory leak patch.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C using Tapatalk

whaevr

May 25, 2013
I am only interested in the memory leak, I doubt the tablet will get the required update from next book.
Also I am on cell phone can't make out the pics, Hopefully the memory leak patch is working, I never used xposed before my only interest it is memory leak patch.

Right, but Xposed is going to be the easiest way to apply the patch to fix the leak, its required. And I agree, no way would I sit around waiting for an update from nextbook. I doubt that'll happen

steppinthrax

Jun 16, 2015
Right, but Xposed is going to be the easiest way to apply []the patch[/URL] to fix the leak, its required. And I agree, no way would I sit around waiting for an update from nextbook. I doubt that'll happen

Guys,

I just wanted to let you know I applied the Update for my new Nextbook Ares 8 I got yesterday. Initially when I followed the steps I got the device rooted. I then changed to bootimage from the dropbox link provided by shawn. When my nextbook booted up I lost touchpad and usb capability. Knowing little about android in general I spend several hours playing around with the device and I found the device finally connected to computer when I placed it in recovery mode. I was able to use FASTBOOT and post 27 (vampirfo) to fix the nextbook. It appears he wrote this post (27) for linix. I studied the files carefully and I was able to pass the individual fastboot commands to the device and placed a new boot image there. Upon reboot my device came back with touchpad and usb capability. IT is also rooted and encryption is disabled!!!!!!!!

Now, you guys keep talking about this memory leak. I don't find any apps crashing or anything, but I"m really running is maybe some chat apps and weather channel!

vampirefo

Apr 3, 2010
Guys,

I just wanted to let you know I applied the Update for my new Nextbook Ares 8 I got yesterday. Initially when I followed the steps I got the device rooted. I then changed to bootimage from the dropbox link provided by shawn. When my nextbook booted up I lost touchpad and usb capability. Knowing little about android in general I spend several hours playing around with the device and I found the device finally connected to computer when I placed it in recovery mode. I was able to use FASTBOOT and post 27 (vampirfo) to fix the nextbook. It appears he wrote this post (27) for linix. I studied the files carefully and I was able to pass the individual fastboot commands to the device and placed a new boot image there. Upon reboot my device came back with touchpad and usb capability. IT is also rooted and encryption is disabled!!!!!!!!

Now, you guys keep talking about this memory leak. I don't find any apps crashing or anything, but I"m really running is maybe some chat apps and weather channel!
Yes, my boot.img is for Ares 8, I don't have any crashes either, just read reports Lollipop 5 has memory leak, and xposed has a patch to fix it.

steppinthrax

Jun 16, 2015
Yes, my boot.img is for Ares 8, I don't have any crashes either, just read reports Lollipop 5 has memory leak, and xposed has a patch to fix it.

what are the affects for the memory leak.

Also why does Nextbook need to be involved in making the OS available. Can't you just get a load of android 5.1 and stick it on there (naive thought).

vampirefo

Apr 3, 2010
what are the affects for the memory leak.

Also why does Nextbook need to be involved in making the OS available. Can't you just get a load of android 5.1 and stick it on there (naive thought).

Each company is responsible for updates, you can't upgrade to googles android unless your device is a Google device, Nexus.
As far as memory leak, you can Google lollipop 5 memory leak and get all the info you want about it.
Basically it uses up battery, and over time cause lagging to the point the tablet is unable to work correctly.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

vampirefo

Apr 3, 2010
Ok just installed xposed and patch, will see how it goes.

vampirefo

Apr 3, 2010
I just did the xposed patch as well. Pretty easy, just double click on the two batch files after the reboots..
It's actually more than that via Linux, I suspect it's also more than that with windows.

Just clicking batch files won't install patches or modules, it does install xposed framework and app, which is useless without any modules.

steppinthrax

Jun 16, 2015
It's actually more than that via Linux, I suspect it's also more than that with windows.

Just clicking batch files won't install patches or modules, it does install xposed framework and app, which is useless without any modules.

OK?

I followed these instructions in the other forum link.

How to install?
1. No matter what you do, back-up first.
2.Download and extract the file provided.
3. From extracted folder run InstallXposedInstaller.bat (Make sure you are rooted and you have enabled USB Debugging Mode if you have doubts kindly ask me in this thread). Once this is finished proceed to next step.
4.Now run InstallXposedFramework.bat file. Your phone will now reboot.
5. It will take a little longer to boot up but don't worry (only 5 mins at most if screen stuck at loading for more than 10 mins you are probably bricked).
6. Your phone now has Xposed.

I doubled clicked on the InstallXposedInstaler.bat (reboot) then I double clicked on InstallXoposedFramework.bat.

vampirefo

Apr 3, 2010
Yes, those instruction didn't install any patch or module, just installed xposed, which without the patch or modules, is useless.

whaevr

May 25, 2013
OK?

I followed these instructions in the other forum link.

How to install?
1. No matter what you do, back-up first.
2.Download and extract the file provided.
3. From extracted folder run InstallXposedInstaller.bat (Make sure you are rooted and you have enabled USB Debugging Mode if you have doubts kindly ask me in this thread). Once this is finished proceed to next step.
4.Now run InstallXposedFramework.bat file. Your phone will now reboot.
5. It will take a little longer to boot up but don't worry (only 5 mins at most if screen stuck at loading for more than 10 mins you are probably bricked).
6. Your phone now has Xposed.

I doubled clicked on the InstallXposedInstaler.bat (reboot) then I double clicked on InstallXoposedFramework.bat.

Once you have done the above and have Xposed installed install this app. You will then have to open the Xposed installer app and go to Modules -> and check Lollipop Memory Fix. Once you have the module checked in Xposed reboot the tablet. Leak should now be fixed

vampirefo

Apr 3, 2010
Once you have done the above and have Xposed installed install this app. You will then have to open the Xposed installer app and go to Modules -> and check Lollipop Memory Fix. Once you have the module checked in Xposed reboot the tablet. Leak should now be fixed
So pretty much the same as Linux, when he said how easy it was to install via batch, I knew a lot was missing, once he posted how he installed, I could see he only installed xposed and nothing else.
Having xposed installed means nothing, one has to then download and setup modules.

whaevr

May 25, 2013
So pretty much the same as Linux, when he said how easy it was to install via batch, I knew a lot was missing, once he posted how he installed, I could see he only installed xposed and nothing else.
Having xposed installed means nothing, one has to then download and setup modules.

Yeah guess I should have been a bit more explicit with the directions in my earlier post. I can see why it was probably understood that way, someone that has never used Xposed before would probably assume the same. I was just excited about finally fixing the damn memory leak and ended up cutting the post short.

So to summarize for anyone reading this
Xposed is the framework
Modules are what actually provide the functionality you're looking for, "Fix Lollipop Memory Leak" is just one of many

Last edited:

steppinthrax

Jun 16, 2015
Yeah guess I should have been a bit more explicit with the directions in my earlier post. I can see why it was probably understood that way, someone that has never used Xposed before would probably assume the same. I was just excited about finally fixing the damn memory leak and ended up cutting the post short.

So to summarize for anyone reading this
Xposed is the framework
Modules are what actually provide the functionality you're looking for, "Fix Lollipop Memory Leak" is just one of many

Thanks,

I downloaded the Xposed Memory Leak fix and installed it. I then found the Xposed Framework Icon within my apps area. I went to modules and installed the Memory Leak Fix. I then checked it and rebooted the device.

Hopefully that should be it. Another question, does the memory leak fix application need to be running with the background?

Also, I don't really notice anything. I downloaded and played Sim city last night. I didn't really notice anything going bad and the devices worked pretty fast. I guess I will have to see within the next few days!

Thanks again.

whaevr

May 25, 2013
Thanks,

I downloaded the Xposed Memory Leak fix and installed it. I then found the Xposed Framework Icon within my apps area. I went to modules and installed the Memory Leak Fix. I then checked it and rebooted the device.

Hopefully that should be it. Another question, does the memory leak fix application need to be running with the background?

Also, I don't really notice anything. I downloaded and played Sim city last night. I didn't really notice anything going bad and the devices worked pretty fast. I guess I will have to see within the next few days!

Thanks again.

Eh, technically it is always "running" in the background! The icon you see in the app drawer for the Fix is just there for turning on debug options like logging and stuff, which are all disabled by default. So really, there is no reason to ever open the app for it. Once you have checked the module in Xposed and rebooted that is it :d

And yeah there really wouldn't be anything too obvious to notice either, the only thing to notice would be lower overall RAM usage over time. Which should hopefully mean less redrawing and closing of apps.

vampirefo

Apr 3, 2010
Thanks,

Thanks again.
Check your log to make sure the module loaded, if it did then that's it for memory fix, I added other modules but main one is memory fix.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Finally got it!

It's been awhile since I first posted asking questions about flashing. But life's been busy, blah, blah, blah (yeah, I know, we're all busy) and I haven't had a chance to digest everything until this weekend. But I finally got it! I am rooted and unencrypted! A few white-knuckle moments wondering if something is going wrong underneath the hood, but I am rooted and unencrypted! Many thanks to all who provided assistance (especially Vampirefo, as the bulk of the info came from his NextBook Ares8 work!). As previously suggested by me when I first posted, I'd like to make a contribution to this thread in the only way I feel I am qualified to offer something: a one-stop "newbie flash guide" for the NextBook Ares11. IMO, this would help eliminate the most repetitive and stupid questions asked by newbies (myself included!) and free up the more experienced flashers to focus on the next step(s) of modifying this device! Perhaps a Linux install or dual boot?!

This is my attempt to write up that guide, attributing proper credit where credit is due. The information is all here in this thread...I just "glued" it together and added commentary from a newbie's perspective. To the best of my memory, this is what needs to be done to flash the NextBook Ares11 without bricking it. If there's anything I missed, or mis-stated, please let me know so it can be remedied. If it's not accurate, it's counter-productive. Any thoughts?

NEXTBOOK ARES 11 GUIDE - HOW TO ROOT/UNENCRYPT/FIX LOLLIPOP MEMORY LEAK
    While I have a lot of experience with installing Linux on desktop and laptop computers, over-writing Windows, dual-booting with Windows, or custom configurations, I have NEVER flashed a tablet before. And while I can read instructions to the letter, nothing beats the experience of first-hand knowledge obtained from “doing it”, although a first-rate guide is a wonderful supplement to the hands-on experience. With all that said, I found this thread to be equal parts illuminating, enlightening, and frustrating. This thread seems to be written by folks with a lot of tablet-flashing experience, for other users with less tablet-flashing experience. For the user with NO flashing experience, there is a whole lot of foreign terminology and concept; plus it is written on a post-by-post basis, as better solutions and knowledge were discovered; and some of the steps require adaptation of NextBook Ares8 tools and solutions. It is practically impossible for a newbie to follow along, and VERY EASY for a newbie to “brick their device” by attempting to follow along. This results in additional pleas for assistance, which requires those inclined to help to determine what the newbie has done incorrectly before a revised solution can be offered. I think a “NextBook Ares11 Guide for Newbies” would be very helpful for those who have never flashed a tablet before, but are brave enough to try; and equally helpful to those more experienced flashers, by reducing the requests for more help and assistance.

In that spirit, here is my attempt to write that guide for newbie tablet flashers of the NextBook Ares11, based on my experiences of figuring out what was applicable, what was optional, and what was to be avoided. This guide is SPECIFIC to the NextBook Ares11, as the NextBook Ares8 is very similar, but slightly different. (The NextBook Ares8 can be flashed simply by following Vampirefo's referenced tutorial). None of this is new information, but simply a compilation of others' advice, compiled in a linear step-by-step fashion. I have tried to attribute credit to the poster who provided the information; if I missed you, or something is mis-attributed, please let me know so that it can be properly addressed. I am hoping this can be placed as a sticky on the first page of this thread, allowing newbies a “one-stop reference” to flashing the NextBook Ares11, thereby allowing the smarter & more experienced users the opportunity to continue this thread without the repetitive newbie questions typically asked. For brevity's sake, the NextBook Ares11 is referred to as Ares11 throughout this guide.

For those who care, here is the background of “how” and “why” to root android devices. I didn't quite understand all of it, but I got the basics which provided a better foundation of understanding of this thread. While not necessary to this guide, for those who are interested, there is value in this read:

http://www.rojtberg.net/668/how-to-root-android-using-ubuntu/

FWIW, ignore the section “Preparations”; we'll just preface with “sudo”, as typically done with Ubuntu. This article is not critical to the process, but is helpful in understanding “what” needs to be done, and “why” we're doing it. If you're interested in further understanding, don't do anything, just read!

Preparing to Flash the Ares11
    Before you begin, download the following files to your computer, which will be needed during this process:
    - Vampirefo's tethered recovery & superuser (root) files, compressed as zip files: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347758712
    - extract downloaded NXA8QC116_root_kit.zip to folder and note location of extracted folder & files. I placed mine in my home folder /home/jim/downloads/android/NextbookAres11 (you can extract & place wherever you like, but you need to KNOW where the files are located)
    - Shawn99452's encryption-disabled bootimage (post #28):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/prc577kbco53x1c/boot_noencrypt.img?dl=0

Prepare computer:
    - download all files referenced above in “before you begin”
    - Ubuntu/Linux users install android tools on desktop/laptop computer. From within terminal
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-device-flash
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install phablet-tools

Prepare Ares11:
    - it goes without saying to BACK UP YOUR DATA!!! This process WILL overwrite any personal data on your device. Back it up for restoration when you're done.
    - it also goes without saying that you PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! NEITHER I, NOR ANYONE ELSE ON THIS FORUM, IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS TO YOUR DEVICE OR YOUR DATA! If you can't accept 100% of the risk, and 100% of the blame if something goes wrong, please do not proceed!!!!!
    - if you're still willing, despite the warnings above, go to Settings>About Tablet and tap “Build number” 7 times to enable “developer mode” and to allow usb-debugging and “side loading” of apps
    - with Ares11 connect to computer via usb cable, verify computer “sees” Ares11 by typing in terminal
    Code:
    adb devices
    - if an alphanumeric identifier is returned, you're good to go; if nothing is listed, check cable connections, etc... If all else fails, type
    Code:
    adb kill-server
    and try again. Once you see the alphanumeric device identifier, you are good to proceed
    - copy previously extracted SuperSU246.zip to your Ares11 sdcard (it MUST be on sdcard)
    - copy previously downloaded boot_noencrypt.img to Ares11 sdcard (it MUST be on sdcard)

How to Root - Windows Users??:
    (taken from Shawn99452's post #26):
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/development/intel-android-devices-root-temp-cwm-t2975096
    (needs to be confirmed by Windows users, I used Ubuntu)

How to Root - Ubuntu/Linux Users:
    (taken from Vampirefo post #27 regarding Nextbook Ares8 at: http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/development/root-nextbook-ares-8-twrp-recovery-t3133165)

Vampirefo's instructions, modified and summarized for Ares11 users as follows:

This zip contains, tethered twrp recovery, permanent twrp recovery, boot.img and SuperSU246.zip. (However, Nextbook Ares 11 flashers will only use the tethered twrp recovery and SuperSU246.zip file tools.)

Download complete zip file here: (already downloaded in the “Before you begin...” section)
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347758712

To root via tethered twrp recovery (this is for Ubuntu/Linux OS), from within Ubuntu/Linux computer/laptop:

- extract downloaded NXA8QC116_root_kit.zip to folder and note location of extracted folder & files. I placed mine in my home folder /home/jim/downloads/android/NextbookAres11; you can extract & place wherever you like, but you need to KNOW where the files are located
    - if you haven't already, place SuperSU246.zip on your sdcard (see above regarding “Prepare Ares11”)
    - navigate to folder where files were extracted 'NextbookAres11' folder is located, right click on folder and select “open in terminal” (you must be in the folder for tethered recovery to be used).
    - from within terminal, type:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    this will reboot the Ares11 into bootloader mode.

With Ares11 in bootloader mode, type:
    Code:
    sudo ./trigger 4
    This will start the tethered TeamWin recovery program (twrp?) to unlock the bootloader to allow modification of bootloader & installation of root files.
    - From within twrp, on your Ares11, select “install” and navigate to the sdcard directory where SuperSU246.zip was saved. Follow twrp instructions to "install"
    - Once installation is completed, wipe cache/dalvik, and reboot

Finally, from terminal, type:
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery
    App SuperSU should now be installed as an application. YOU NOW HAVE ROOT CAPABILITIES!

How to Unencrypt
    - With root capabilities now enabled, switch from your desktop/laptop computer to your Ares11 tablet. From within the Ares11, download Flashify app from Play Store, as per thew-tab and whaevr (posts #35 & #36)
    - from within Flashify, navigate to the sdcard directory where boot_noencrypt.img was saved and select for flashing
    - as per whaevr (post #36)
    and just to clarify for people reading through. After using Flashify to flash the modified boot image, reboot to recovery:
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery

and select the option to factory reset. It will take a few moments to format data/cache and after the device reboots it will be decrypted. Give the tablet time to reboot, mine took a few minutes!
    (personally, I somehow lost the adb connection during the reboot; if the terminal adb functionality gets lost, you can manually reboot to recovery with Ares11 key combo to get into bootloader or recovery via Ares11 hard keys. Compliments of Vampirefo, here is a "cheat sheet" of hard keys for the Ares11:

power off
    volume up + power = recovery
    volume down + power = bootloader
    from bootloader you have several choices to boot, just pres volume down to choose, power to select. DO NOT FORMAT SYSTEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Upon recovery reboot, your Ares11 will be unencrypted and will have root capabilities, but will otherwise be a brand new Android tablet “out of the box” and, as such, will need to be “rebuilt” by re-installing all applications that you want on your device.

How to Fix Memory Leak
    The Ares11 is an Intel x86_64 architecture, as opposed to ARM, so we need that architecture of Xposed Installer in order to apply Lollipop Memory Leak Fix. Instructions from XDA forum member ansebovi can be found here:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/zenfone2/general/guide-to-install-xposed-installer-t3116476

Files for download to Ares11 are linked here:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=3034811

As referenced in ansebovi's instruction link, I prefer the twrp flash, as we already used that tool above to gain root access, so it looks a little familiar. Also referenced by ansebovi, the Ares11 files for download are XposedInstaller_3.0_alpha4.apk, xposed-v75-sdk21-x86.zip, and xposed-uninstaller-x86.zip. (note the current version is now xposed-v78, but the sdk version MUST be 21 for Android 5.0; we are now interested in the xposed-v78-sdk21-x86.zip file)
    - download all 3 and place on external sdcard
    - install *.apk file by tapping from within Ares11 file manager
    - switch to desktop/laptop and, with usb cable still connected, invoke tethered twrp recovery
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    this will reboot the Ares11 into bootloader mode.

With Ares11 in bootloader mode, type:
    Code:
    sudo ./trigger 4
    This will invoke teamwin recovery program
    - similar to installation of root, navigate to external sdcard and choose xposed-v75-sdk21-x86.zip for installation
    - wipe cache/dalvik, and reboot

The Xposed Framework Installer is now installed on the Ares11. The Xposed Installer allows for MANY customizations and add-ons for Android. But for now, we're only interested in the Lollipop Memory Leak fix.
    - from the Ares11, open the Xposed Installer app
    - choose download, the third setting from the top and look for "Fix Lollipop Memory Leak" module
    - go back one screen and choose "modules", the second setting from top; select "Fix Lollipop Memory Leak"
    - Reboot device to enable selected Xposed modules
    Code:
    adb reboot

Your Ares11 Android 5.0 Lollipop leak has now been patched!
    I just picked up this tablet from Walmart yesterday for $197 it comes factory with Lollipop 5.0. Here's my problem: From what I've researched Lollipop 5.0 has a memory leak Nextbook has not released any update for this tablet so i'm stuck on 5.0 with the memory leak and almost every app i try to run crashes within a minute. I am interested in putting KitKat on this tablet or doing some sort of work around the memory leak. I realize this is a very new tablet so I can give any information necessary such as pics or video and specs. Thanks.
    I just picked up this tablet from Walmart yesterday for $197 it comes factory with Lollipop 5.0. Here's my problem: From what I've researched Lollipop 5.0 has a memory leak Nextbook has not released any update for this tablet so i'm stuck on 5.0 with the memory leak and almost every app i try to run crashes within a minute. I am interested in putting KitKat on this tablet or doing some sort of work around the memory leak. I realize this is a very new tablet so I can give any information necessary such as pics or video and specs. Thanks.

Some apps are not compatible with lollipop just yet.
    Google has just released android 5.1, It will probably come to your device pretty soon.
    My advice? Wait.
    I was able to successfully root this tablet using the new Intel Android Devices Temp Root tool, from here:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/development/intel-android-devices-root-temp-cwm-t2975096
    You need the public trial version 05-16-2015, as the stable version doesn't have method T4 and the other methods don't work.
    Use method T4. The screen freaks out a bit, but it will eventually load up the temp recovery and you can install SuperSU, and perform backups and probably flash new recoveries / ROMs (didn't try this, I only installed SuperSu since there are no custom ROMs yet for this device).
    Unfortunately as far as I know Xposed doesn't have x86 support yet, so it is not possible to fix the Lollipop memory leak, but with root at least you can adjust the minfree values to help it not kill background tasks so often.
    Just a note, the above boot.img referenced by vampirefo for disabling encryption will 1) disable the micro USB port, and 2) mess up the touchscreen (trackpad still works). This is because the boot.img is for a different device (NextBook 8 I assume). I backed up my boot.img before flashing his, so I was able to extract the initrd.img and remove the forceencrypt option from /data. The bootimg referenced below can be fastboot flashed to the device to turn off encryption without messing up the USB or touchscreen. Hope that helps, in case someone less tech savvy flashes the other boot.img and gets upset. Sorry, as a new poster I'm not allowed to directly post a link, but the file is on dropbox.com, with https, and the rest of the url should look like this:

/s/prc577kbco53x1c/boot_noencrypt.img?dl=0

Someone should probably mirror it, because I can't guarantee it will remain there for more than a week or so.