[Q] Need help with Nextbook Ares (NXA116QC164) Lollipop 5.0

Search This thread

jeztur2003

Jan 17, 2011
I just picked up this tablet from Walmart yesterday for $197 it comes factory with Lollipop 5.0. Here's my problem: From what I've researched Lollipop 5.0 has a memory leak Nextbook has not released any update for this tablet so i'm stuck on 5.0 with the memory leak and almost every app i try to run crashes within a minute. I am interested in putting KitKat on this tablet or doing some sort of work around the memory leak. I realize this is a very new tablet so I can give any information necessary such as pics or video and specs. Thanks.

SimpleTool

Dec 21, 2013
I just picked up this tablet from Walmart yesterday for $197 it comes factory with Lollipop 5.0. Here's my problem: From what I've researched Lollipop 5.0 has a memory leak Nextbook has not released any update for this tablet so i'm stuck on 5.0 with the memory leak and almost every app i try to run crashes within a minute. I am interested in putting KitKat on this tablet or doing some sort of work around the memory leak. I realize this is a very new tablet so I can give any information necessary such as pics or video and specs. Thanks.

Some apps are not compatible with lollipop just yet.
Google has just released android 5.1, It will probably come to your device pretty soon.
My advice? Wait.

whaevr

May 25, 2013

Yeah, that isn't going to cut it for me. This is XDA we're talking about here. Not the NextBook help forums. This tablet is most definitely affected by the memory leak bug. And the "FreakTab" forum that I found that originally found/released how to root the Nextbook 8 tablet is quoted as saying this

And that is in reference to this tablet. I could see them providing an update this time since this is obviously a bit of a show stopping bug, but I'm not willing to wait that long. Whenever that will be. If anyone reading this could point me in the direction of some knowledgeable people that might be willing to help with this. That would be great!

SimpleTool

Dec 21, 2013
Yeah, that isn't going to cut it for me. This is XDA we're talking about here. Not the NextBook help forums. This tablet is most definitely affected by the memory leak bug. And the "FreakTab" forum that I found that originally found/released how to root the Nextbook 8 tablet is quoted as saying this

And that is in reference to this tablet. I could see them providing an update this time since this is obviously a bit of a show stopping bug, but I'm not willing to wait that long. Whenever that will be. If anyone reading this could point me in the direction of some knowledgeable people that might be willing to help with this. That would be great!

This tablet is relatively new and most people don't know what it is.
Development will start if people have a passion to fix this tablet.

Waiting is the key.

whaevr

May 25, 2013
Development will start if people have a passion to fix this tablet.

Which is what I'm actively expressing here, why wait for the "other" people to fix it? :) Do I know how to exploit the stock 5.0 version of android and get the su binary on it? No. But I like to think that I'm pretty knowledgeable (and I own this thing, so theres that) and will run any number of commands to get the right information to the right people. Was just posting here as a means to advertise that. Being told to wait right in the Development and Hacking section is a bit discouraging

SimpleTool

Dec 21, 2013
Which is what I'm actively expressing here, why wait for the "other" people to fix it? :) Do I know how to exploit the stock 5.0 version of android and get the su binary on it? No. But I like to think that I'm pretty knowledgeable (and I own this thing, so theres that) and will run any number of commands to get the right information to the right people. Was just posting here as a means to advertise that. Being told to wait right in the Development and Hacking section is a bit discouraging

If you want to fix this device. Fine. I'll give you guys instructions.

Rooting: Using an app like towelroot or framaroot will work fine for most devices. If not, use a app like Kingo to do the root for you.

ROMS: There is no roms for the Nextbook Ares, so you'll need to port the rom yourselfs. (Be warned, it's hard.)

Fixing the memory leak in lollipop:
If you can't wait for the update, you'll going to need to use Xposed Module (root is needed)

Once you rooted and installed the Xposed, you need to install this module made by tonyp specifically. No other will work.
Xposed is ABSOLUTELY needed in this case.

It should work.

:)

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
Developers generally only develop things for devices they own and to be honest very very would get that tablet.

Your best bet is to get comfortable with Linux and dig in. Who knows you maybe the one that provides root for it.

As for your comment a out them pushing an update, don't count on it. Many tabs sold at walmart have huge security holes that were never fixed. Rememeber you get what you pay for. A cheap tablet is seldom good and a good tablet is seldom cheap.

whaevr

May 25, 2013
If you want to fix this device. Fine. I'll give you guys instructions.

Rooting: Using an app like towelroot or framaroot will work fine for most devices. If not, use a app like Kingo to do the root for you.

The first two I'm thinking aren't even meant to root Lollipop.. Pretty sure they were made for Kitkat & lower. Kingo? Seems to be my best bet but also wasn't able to root, I'll be sending them a log to them but who knows. Can't do much else till I get root

altimuh

Feb 8, 2011
The first two I'm thinking aren't even meant to root Lollipop.. Pretty sure they were made for Kitkat & lower. Kingo? Seems to be my best bet but also wasn't able to root, I'll be sending them a log to them but who knows. Can't do much else till I get root

Status?

I saw this tablet at Wallyworld and thought - that might not be bad, if it could be rooted.

What's your thoughts on it so far? Battery life, performance (or lack thereof).....

Thanks

whaevr

May 25, 2013
Status?

I saw this tablet at Wallyworld and thought - that might not be bad, if it could be rooted.

What's your thoughts on it so far? Battery life, performance (or lack thereof).....

Thanks

Not much I've been busy with life lately, so many damn papers to write.. I haven't even sent the log into the Kingo team yet as my own laptop isn't a windows one.

I love the tablet though! I use it for note taking mostly but its really great for the price, especially with that included keyboard. I find with my light use of note-taking/redditing/browsing it uses about 10% battery an hour? Maybe a bit less than that. This is without me doing/trying anything to improve the battery life. Switching apps deff is much slower than it should be though. Especially if you go from one memory intensive app to another like Google Docs -> Chrome. Once it redraws everything though it is fast to use. And if it doesn't have to redraw the app you're switching to it is very speedy to open it up. I can live with the minor lag for what I use it for and I'm happy with it, but man it could be a really nice deal instead of an "alright" one if they would fix this damn leak.

I disagree with Developers not wanting this tablet...? Think its an odd statement. Its a great buy for what you get. Do Developers only buy the latest and greatest flagship devices 100% of the time? Developers never want to value shop? 11.6 inch display, an external keyboard, quad core processor, etc. I would love to have the ability to tweak this thing as much as I can tweak my m8. I'm positive it would fly if I could.

Reactions: wiseman9871

altimuh

Feb 8, 2011
Not much I've been busy with life lately, so many damn papers to write.. I haven't even sent the log into the Kingo team yet as my own laptop isn't a windows one.

I love the tablet though! I use it for note taking mostly but its really great for the price, especially with that included keyboard. I find with my light use of note-taking/redditing/browsing it uses about 10% battery an hour? Maybe a bit less than that. This is without me doing/trying anything to improve the battery life. Switching apps deff is much slower than it should be though. Especially if you go from one memory intensive app to another like Google Docs -> Chrome. Once it redraws everything though it is fast to use. And if it doesn't have to redraw the app you're switching to it is very speedy to open it up. I can live with the minor lag for what I use it for and I'm happy with it, but man it could be a really nice deal instead of an "alright" one if they would fix this damn leak.

I disagree with Developers not wanting this tablet...? Think its an odd statement. Its a great buy for what you get. Do Developers only buy the latest and greatest flagship devices 100% of the time? Developers never want to value shop? 11.6 inch display, an external keyboard, quad core processor, etc. I would love to have the ability to tweak this thing as much as I can tweak my m8. I'm positive it would fly if I could.

Thanks for your thoughts on this tablet - I understand your frustration.

I've been trying to figure out if this newer & larger tablet is worth it, or if it would be a better bang for the buck going with the Nextbook 8/7.85 at only $79. It seems like that tablet has a few more people interested - there's root support a tweaked rom (even a beta lollipop rom for it). I just want decent battery life (4 or more hours of screen time). Perhaps the developer(s) who did the rom for the smaller can help out with the larger one? freaktab.com and also http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2762092

Dec 29, 2014
i just picked this tablet up as well, i'm a gadget junkie and need another tablet like i need cancer, but, for the price i could not resist. i have been hit with the memory leak bug and apps crashing, but, it is infrequent. the tablet does have some down falls: screen resolution, 1G RAM, a bit on the heavy side and thats about it. outside of those issues (they are big ones) i have to say i could not be happier. i have shelved my nexus 9 since getting the nextbook ares and have yet to pick it back up. $ for $ i cant see a better value out there, love the detachable keyboard and the fact it has a track pad, no complaints with battery life, and am really enjoying the tablet / laptop combo in an android device. it would great to see some of the devs get ahold of this device and at least get root, that would be awesome.

whaevr

May 25, 2013
Thanks for your thoughts on this tablet - I understand your frustration.

I've been trying to figure out if this newer & larger tablet is worth it, or if it would be a better bang for the buck going with the Nextbook 8/7.85 at only $79. It seems like that tablet has a few more people interested - there's root support a tweaked rom (even a beta lollipop rom for it). I just want decent battery life (4 or more hours of screen time). Perhaps the developer(s) who did the rom for the smaller can help out with the larger one? freaktab.com and also http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2762092

Interesting, well I tried using Cydia Impactor to create the driver and then ran Kingo again. This time I let it run till it gave me the "Root Failed" message...which took about 10minutes and two reboots of the tablet. Before this I figured the program was stuck in a loop since it seemed to be looping the same messages over and over. Must have just been trying a lot of different exploits? Either way I just sent the log file off to Kingo along with some other details. Hopefully that helps?

Also the person who rooted the Nextbook 8 I realized is who I quoted earlier in the thread as saying "Nextbook almost never provides any software updates or after sale support..." and if you read that linked thread on freaktab he also says this on the same thread..

I think I'll stick with KitKat for awhile...

ShaunMT

Heres to hoping that changes :eek: can't hurt to reach out to him though ? Reading through that thread they seem to be unaware that there is a confirmed fix for the memory leak. Maybe that would peak interest

Last edited:

whaevr

May 25, 2013
Any news about the FW update?

Well apparently SRSRoot supports this tablet now?

However, I ran it today and this was my log

---= SRS One-Click-Root v4.7 =---

1:56:07 PM - Starting ADB Server..
1:56:13 PM - Manufacturer: Yifang
1:56:13 PM - Model: NXA116QC164
1:56:13 PM - Android Version: 5.0
1:56:13 PM - Build ID: V3.2.0.LRX21V.20150203.034024
1:56:13 PM - Board ID: baytrail
1:56:13 PM - Chipset Platform: baytrail
1:56:13 PM - Getting OffSets.. : (False)
1:56:16 PM - Query Server for Best Method.. Found Rootkit: 4

----= Start Rooting Process.. Please Wait =----

1:56:19 PM [+] Testing exploit: root4 (please wait..)
1:56:22 PM [+] Device Reboot #1 (Wait till it's started)
1:59:10 PM [+] Device Reboot #2 (Wait till it's started)
2:02:11 PM [+] Remounting /system Filesystem as R/W..
2:02:12 PM [+] Installing SU Binary...
2:02:12 PM [+] Installing SuperUser APK...
2:02:12 PM [+] Remounting /system Filesystem as R/O..

2:02:18 PM [+] Rooting Complete !

Great! Except right after it says "Rooting Complete!" The device reboots a third time and...there appears to be no root present on the device when it boots back up :(...In fact clicking the "UnRoot Device" button gave me this log

2:09:00 PM - Starting ADB Server..
2:09:05 PM - Manufacturer: Yifang
2:09:05 PM - Model: NXA116QC164
2:09:05 PM - Android Version: 5.0
2:09:05 PM - Build ID: V3.2.0.LRX21V.20150203.034024
2:09:05 PM - Board ID: baytrail
2:09:05 PM - Chipset Platform: baytrail
2:09:05 PM - Getting OffSets.. : (False)

[x] Device is not rooted, UnRooting not needed.

So perhaps it worked at one point? Doesn't seem to work now unless I'm missing a step or something...anyone know of a way to contact the people behind SRSRoot?

edit:
I had allow install from unknown sources checked and obviously had usb debugging enabled when I tried this aswell, just to throw it out there

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2014
Well apparently SRSRoot supports this tablet now?

However, I ran it today and this was my log

Great! Except right after it says "Rooting Complete!" The device reboots a third time and...there appears to be no root present on the device when it boots back up :(...In fact clicking the "UnRoot Device" button gave me this log

So perhaps it worked at one point? Doesn't seem to work now unless I'm missing a step or something...anyone know of a way to contact the people behind SRSRoot?

edit:
I had allow install from unknown sources checked and obviously had usb debugging enabled when I tried this aswell, just to throw it out there

any luck with getting this root method to work?

whaevr

May 25, 2013
any luck with getting this root method to work?

Nope. :\

Redownloaded SRSRoot today and ran as they seem to update it pretty regularly. Now my log came out to this

11:20:14 AM - Starting ADB Server..
11:20:20 AM - Manufacturer: Yifang
11:20:20 AM - Model: NXA116QC164
11:20:20 AM - Android Version: 5.0
11:20:20 AM - Build ID: V3.2.0.LRX21V.20150203.034024
11:20:20 AM - Board ID: baytrail
11:20:21 AM - Chipset Platform: baytrail
11:20:21 AM - Getting OffSets.. : (False)
11:20:24 AM - Query Server for Best Method.. Found Rootkit: 6

----= Start Rooting Process.. Please Wait =----

11:20:24 AM [+] Testing exploit: root8 (please wait..)
11:20:48 AM [+] Remounting /system Filesystem as R/W..
11:20:48 AM [+] Installing SU Binary...
11:20:49 AM [+] Installing SuperUser APK...
11:20:49 AM [+] Remounting /system Filesystem as R/O..

11:20:55 AM [+] Rooting Complete !

This time around it used the exploit "root8" and as you can see from the timestamps things went a lot quicker this time. All under a minute.

BUT. Same ****; device reboots and I have no supersu app in drawer, I clicked "unroot device" button gives me this

11:26:02 AM - Starting ADB Server..
11:26:07 AM - Manufacturer: Yifang
11:26:07 AM - Model: NXA116QC164
11:26:07 AM - Android Version: 5.0
11:26:07 AM - Build ID: V3.2.0.LRX21V.20150203.034024
11:26:07 AM - Board ID: baytrail
11:26:08 AM - Chipset Platform: baytrail
11:26:08 AM - Getting OffSets.. : (False)

[x] Device is not rooted, UnRooting not needed.

I also noticed that this tablet has encryption enabled...do we need to disable that first for this to work? Is that what I'm doing wrong here? It would make sense if the filesystem/data is encrypted on the tablet the program would be unable to place the files on the system but, you would think it would tell me if that was the case?

Last edited:

NeoShade

Nov 18, 2013
I picked up one for myself as well as one for my mom, and one for my mother-in-law for mothers day. The tablet seems to be decent for the price. If it had 2GB ram and 32GB rom it would be awesome.

As far as basic tasks and games it is fine though. I also would love root access. I'll begin searching as well...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Finally got it!

It's been awhile since I first posted asking questions about flashing. But life's been busy, blah, blah, blah (yeah, I know, we're all busy) and I haven't had a chance to digest everything until this weekend. But I finally got it! I am rooted and unencrypted! A few white-knuckle moments wondering if something is going wrong underneath the hood, but I am rooted and unencrypted! Many thanks to all who provided assistance (especially Vampirefo, as the bulk of the info came from his NextBook Ares8 work!). As previously suggested by me when I first posted, I'd like to make a contribution to this thread in the only way I feel I am qualified to offer something: a one-stop "newbie flash guide" for the NextBook Ares11. IMO, this would help eliminate the most repetitive and stupid questions asked by newbies (myself included!) and free up the more experienced flashers to focus on the next step(s) of modifying this device! Perhaps a Linux install or dual boot?!

This is my attempt to write up that guide, attributing proper credit where credit is due. The information is all here in this thread...I just "glued" it together and added commentary from a newbie's perspective. To the best of my memory, this is what needs to be done to flash the NextBook Ares11 without bricking it. If there's anything I missed, or mis-stated, please let me know so it can be remedied. If it's not accurate, it's counter-productive. Any thoughts?

NEXTBOOK ARES 11 GUIDE - HOW TO ROOT/UNENCRYPT/FIX LOLLIPOP MEMORY LEAK
    While I have a lot of experience with installing Linux on desktop and laptop computers, over-writing Windows, dual-booting with Windows, or custom configurations, I have NEVER flashed a tablet before. And while I can read instructions to the letter, nothing beats the experience of first-hand knowledge obtained from “doing it”, although a first-rate guide is a wonderful supplement to the hands-on experience. With all that said, I found this thread to be equal parts illuminating, enlightening, and frustrating. This thread seems to be written by folks with a lot of tablet-flashing experience, for other users with less tablet-flashing experience. For the user with NO flashing experience, there is a whole lot of foreign terminology and concept; plus it is written on a post-by-post basis, as better solutions and knowledge were discovered; and some of the steps require adaptation of NextBook Ares8 tools and solutions. It is practically impossible for a newbie to follow along, and VERY EASY for a newbie to “brick their device” by attempting to follow along. This results in additional pleas for assistance, which requires those inclined to help to determine what the newbie has done incorrectly before a revised solution can be offered. I think a “NextBook Ares11 Guide for Newbies” would be very helpful for those who have never flashed a tablet before, but are brave enough to try; and equally helpful to those more experienced flashers, by reducing the requests for more help and assistance.

In that spirit, here is my attempt to write that guide for newbie tablet flashers of the NextBook Ares11, based on my experiences of figuring out what was applicable, what was optional, and what was to be avoided. This guide is SPECIFIC to the NextBook Ares11, as the NextBook Ares8 is very similar, but slightly different. (The NextBook Ares8 can be flashed simply by following Vampirefo's referenced tutorial). None of this is new information, but simply a compilation of others' advice, compiled in a linear step-by-step fashion. I have tried to attribute credit to the poster who provided the information; if I missed you, or something is mis-attributed, please let me know so that it can be properly addressed. I am hoping this can be placed as a sticky on the first page of this thread, allowing newbies a “one-stop reference” to flashing the NextBook Ares11, thereby allowing the smarter & more experienced users the opportunity to continue this thread without the repetitive newbie questions typically asked. For brevity's sake, the NextBook Ares11 is referred to as Ares11 throughout this guide.

For those who care, here is the background of “how” and “why” to root android devices. I didn't quite understand all of it, but I got the basics which provided a better foundation of understanding of this thread. While not necessary to this guide, for those who are interested, there is value in this read:

http://www.rojtberg.net/668/how-to-root-android-using-ubuntu/

FWIW, ignore the section “Preparations”; we'll just preface with “sudo”, as typically done with Ubuntu. This article is not critical to the process, but is helpful in understanding “what” needs to be done, and “why” we're doing it. If you're interested in further understanding, don't do anything, just read!

Preparing to Flash the Ares11
    Before you begin, download the following files to your computer, which will be needed during this process:
    - Vampirefo's tethered recovery & superuser (root) files, compressed as zip files: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347758712
    - extract downloaded NXA8QC116_root_kit.zip to folder and note location of extracted folder & files. I placed mine in my home folder /home/jim/downloads/android/NextbookAres11 (you can extract & place wherever you like, but you need to KNOW where the files are located)
    - Shawn99452's encryption-disabled bootimage (post #28):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/prc577kbco53x1c/boot_noencrypt.img?dl=0

Prepare computer:
    - download all files referenced above in “before you begin”
    - Ubuntu/Linux users install android tools on desktop/laptop computer. From within terminal
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-device-flash
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install phablet-tools

Prepare Ares11:
    - it goes without saying to BACK UP YOUR DATA!!! This process WILL overwrite any personal data on your device. Back it up for restoration when you're done.
    - it also goes without saying that you PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! NEITHER I, NOR ANYONE ELSE ON THIS FORUM, IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS TO YOUR DEVICE OR YOUR DATA! If you can't accept 100% of the risk, and 100% of the blame if something goes wrong, please do not proceed!!!!!
    - if you're still willing, despite the warnings above, go to Settings>About Tablet and tap “Build number” 7 times to enable “developer mode” and to allow usb-debugging and “side loading” of apps
    - with Ares11 connect to computer via usb cable, verify computer “sees” Ares11 by typing in terminal
    Code:
    adb devices
    - if an alphanumeric identifier is returned, you're good to go; if nothing is listed, check cable connections, etc... If all else fails, type
    Code:
    adb kill-server
    and try again. Once you see the alphanumeric device identifier, you are good to proceed
    - copy previously extracted SuperSU246.zip to your Ares11 sdcard (it MUST be on sdcard)
    - copy previously downloaded boot_noencrypt.img to Ares11 sdcard (it MUST be on sdcard)

How to Root - Windows Users??:
    (taken from Shawn99452's post #26):
    http://xdaforums.com/android/development/intel-android-devices-root-temp-cwm-t2975096
    (needs to be confirmed by Windows users, I used Ubuntu)

How to Root - Ubuntu/Linux Users:
    (taken from Vampirefo post #27 regarding Nextbook Ares8 at: http://xdaforums.com/android/development/root-nextbook-ares-8-twrp-recovery-t3133165)

Vampirefo's instructions, modified and summarized for Ares11 users as follows:

This zip contains, tethered twrp recovery, permanent twrp recovery, boot.img and SuperSU246.zip. (However, Nextbook Ares 11 flashers will only use the tethered twrp recovery and SuperSU246.zip file tools.)

Download complete zip file here: (already downloaded in the “Before you begin...” section)
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347758712

To root via tethered twrp recovery (this is for Ubuntu/Linux OS), from within Ubuntu/Linux computer/laptop:

- extract downloaded NXA8QC116_root_kit.zip to folder and note location of extracted folder & files. I placed mine in my home folder /home/jim/downloads/android/NextbookAres11; you can extract & place wherever you like, but you need to KNOW where the files are located
    - if you haven't already, place SuperSU246.zip on your sdcard (see above regarding “Prepare Ares11”)
    - navigate to folder where files were extracted 'NextbookAres11' folder is located, right click on folder and select “open in terminal” (you must be in the folder for tethered recovery to be used).
    - from within terminal, type:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    this will reboot the Ares11 into bootloader mode.

With Ares11 in bootloader mode, type:
    Code:
    sudo ./trigger 4
    This will start the tethered TeamWin recovery program (twrp?) to unlock the bootloader to allow modification of bootloader & installation of root files.
    - From within twrp, on your Ares11, select “install” and navigate to the sdcard directory where SuperSU246.zip was saved. Follow twrp instructions to "install"
    - Once installation is completed, wipe cache/dalvik, and reboot

Finally, from terminal, type:
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery
    App SuperSU should now be installed as an application. YOU NOW HAVE ROOT CAPABILITIES!

How to Unencrypt
    - With root capabilities now enabled, switch from your desktop/laptop computer to your Ares11 tablet. From within the Ares11, download Flashify app from Play Store, as per thew-tab and whaevr (posts #35 & #36)
    - from within Flashify, navigate to the sdcard directory where boot_noencrypt.img was saved and select for flashing
    - as per whaevr (post #36)
    and just to clarify for people reading through. After using Flashify to flash the modified boot image, reboot to recovery:
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery

and select the option to factory reset. It will take a few moments to format data/cache and after the device reboots it will be decrypted. Give the tablet time to reboot, mine took a few minutes!
    (personally, I somehow lost the adb connection during the reboot; if the terminal adb functionality gets lost, you can manually reboot to recovery with Ares11 key combo to get into bootloader or recovery via Ares11 hard keys. Compliments of Vampirefo, here is a "cheat sheet" of hard keys for the Ares11:

power off
    volume up + power = recovery
    volume down + power = bootloader
    from bootloader you have several choices to boot, just pres volume down to choose, power to select. DO NOT FORMAT SYSTEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Upon recovery reboot, your Ares11 will be unencrypted and will have root capabilities, but will otherwise be a brand new Android tablet “out of the box” and, as such, will need to be “rebuilt” by re-installing all applications that you want on your device.

How to Fix Memory Leak
    The Ares11 is an Intel x86_64 architecture, as opposed to ARM, so we need that architecture of Xposed Installer in order to apply Lollipop Memory Leak Fix. Instructions from XDA forum member ansebovi can be found here:
    http://xdaforums.com/zenfone2/general/guide-to-install-xposed-installer-t3116476

Files for download to Ares11 are linked here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3034811

As referenced in ansebovi's instruction link, I prefer the twrp flash, as we already used that tool above to gain root access, so it looks a little familiar. Also referenced by ansebovi, the Ares11 files for download are XposedInstaller_3.0_alpha4.apk, xposed-v75-sdk21-x86.zip, and xposed-uninstaller-x86.zip. (note the current version is now xposed-v78, but the sdk version MUST be 21 for Android 5.0; we are now interested in the xposed-v78-sdk21-x86.zip file)
    - download all 3 and place on external sdcard
    - install *.apk file by tapping from within Ares11 file manager
    - switch to desktop/laptop and, with usb cable still connected, invoke tethered twrp recovery
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    this will reboot the Ares11 into bootloader mode.

With Ares11 in bootloader mode, type:
    Code:
    sudo ./trigger 4
    This will invoke teamwin recovery program
    - similar to installation of root, navigate to external sdcard and choose xposed-v75-sdk21-x86.zip for installation
    - wipe cache/dalvik, and reboot

The Xposed Framework Installer is now installed on the Ares11. The Xposed Installer allows for MANY customizations and add-ons for Android. But for now, we're only interested in the Lollipop Memory Leak fix.
    - from the Ares11, open the Xposed Installer app
    - choose download, the third setting from the top and look for "Fix Lollipop Memory Leak" module
    - go back one screen and choose "modules", the second setting from top; select "Fix Lollipop Memory Leak"
    - Reboot device to enable selected Xposed modules
    Code:
    adb reboot

Your Ares11 Android 5.0 Lollipop leak has now been patched!

Some apps are not compatible with lollipop just yet.
    Google has just released android 5.1, It will probably come to your device pretty soon.
    My advice? Wait.
    I was able to successfully root this tablet using the new Intel Android Devices Temp Root tool, from here:
    http://xdaforums.com/android/development/intel-android-devices-root-temp-cwm-t2975096
    You need the public trial version 05-16-2015, as the stable version doesn't have method T4 and the other methods don't work.
    Use method T4. The screen freaks out a bit, but it will eventually load up the temp recovery and you can install SuperSU, and perform backups and probably flash new recoveries / ROMs (didn't try this, I only installed SuperSu since there are no custom ROMs yet for this device).
    Unfortunately as far as I know Xposed doesn't have x86 support yet, so it is not possible to fix the Lollipop memory leak, but with root at least you can adjust the minfree values to help it not kill background tasks so often.
    Just a note, the above boot.img referenced by vampirefo for disabling encryption will 1) disable the micro USB port, and 2) mess up the touchscreen (trackpad still works). This is because the boot.img is for a different device (NextBook 8 I assume). I backed up my boot.img before flashing his, so I was able to extract the initrd.img and remove the forceencrypt option from /data. The bootimg referenced below can be fastboot flashed to the device to turn off encryption without messing up the USB or touchscreen. Hope that helps, in case someone less tech savvy flashes the other boot.img and gets upset. Sorry, as a new poster I'm not allowed to directly post a link, but the file is on dropbox.com, with https, and the rest of the url should look like this:

/s/prc577kbco53x1c/boot_noencrypt.img?dl=0

Someone should probably mirror it, because I can't guarantee it will remain there for more than a week or so.