• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] Netflix on Acer Iconia Tab A500

Search This thread

rbtconsultants

Oct 6, 2010
I bought new Iconia tab from Staples today for $299. Did OTA update to 3.1. Rooted and following instructions in this thread I loaded Netflix APK and copied libnvomx.so using root explorer from the zip file to system.lib (after backup).

It does force close video recording on rear camera. I copied it back and was able to use recording without even a reboot, so I think I can manage to do that for the occasions when I want to do video recording.

So, not perfect, but thanks as usual to the guys who figure this stuff out.

Bob

taeman22

Jul 24, 2011
Copy and paste the libnvox.so patch and install the media client 1.3 apk , reboot still didn't work. Build is 4.010.10 and kernel 2.6.36.3. Any one could help? Do I need to root this or something?

baldbear

Jul 18, 2006
I also got it to work. I can also confirm that the back camera in video mode will crash the video recording app.

Make sure you backed up the lib file (this time, I did for once ;) )

erica_renee

Sep 16, 2010
Louisville
Copy and paste the libnvox.so patch and install the media client 1.3 apk , reboot still didn't work. Build is 4.010.10 and kernel 2.6.36.3. Any one could help? Do I need to root this or something?

Did you uninstall the old version of Netflix before installing the new one.if not change the. So file back uninstall Netflix. Then reboot. Install the app.do not start Netflix change the .so file reboot then start Netflix for the first time.that is only way it would work for me.not sure if anyone can confirm this to be true but if im wrong please say so.I tried several times and this procedure solved my issue
Blonde chicks rule
Memememeeeeeeeeeeee

threedfreek

Mar 21, 2008
lansing, mi
Did you uninstall the old version of Netflix before installing the new one.if not change the. So file back uninstall Netflix. Then reboot. Install the app.do not start Netflix change the .so file reboot then start Netflix for the first time.that is only way it would work for me.not sure if anyone can confirm this to be true but if im wrong please say so.I tried several times and this procedure solved my issue
Blonde chicks rule
Memememeeeeeeeeeeee

What issues did you have? Did anyone find that web browsing to flash based site hang an eventually fc? Music to.

mshulman5

Jul 13, 2010
Re-Install

Mine is working fine but I noticed every time I reboot my Iconia Netflix will force close. If I go back to \system\apps and re-install Netflix.apk it's fine. Basically I have to re-install Netflix every time my Iconia reboots for it to work correctly.

Last edited:

Grimcreaper

Jul 24, 2011
Running stock 3.1, did the fix by hand (not quite sure how to use CWM) and everything works fine. I can use the rear camera for taking still pictures, but the video camera function causes a FC as others have stated.

Also, Thank you guys for finding and getting the fix to work :)

pfc.joker

Jun 21, 2011
Denver
dhcollier.com
My camera does not let me even open it. It force closes. Did anybody successfully have Netflix and the cameras working? Could you please let me know what ROM are you using?

Fabian

Acer Iconia. Virtuous Picasso 1.1.0

Stock 3.1 (4.010.11_COM_GEN2) - I can launch Camera App - switch back and forth in Camera fine - I can use Front video camera switch to back video camera = FC

But here is an interesting note - if I launch the Camcorder app (not Camera) I can do everything - Front/Back Video, Front/Back Camera - no FC on any switching.

Reactions: fachex

ingrouille

May 20, 2011
Did you try video recording with rear camera?

Yup and it failed :(
Then I couldn't load Netflix and had to reboot. But still camera with rear and front works just fine. I don't use the video camera much as the mic is absolute rubbish. Seriously thinking of returning and asking for a new one on my Futureshop warrenty because of that. Otherwise I love the Iconia.

d3vstart

Oct 20, 2009
thanks for the up. I went ahead and upgraded my lib and had another issue to let everyone know about. My video playback from /mnt/external_sd and usb storage fails to launch videos in all my video players. Im going to pull the libs apart to see whats going on.also had the fc on camera.

lukystablet

Aug 5, 2011
I know this going to be a broken record, but I'm new to this and REALLY need step by step instructions on a OTA H3.1 Acer Iconia A500. I did the root but now what?

entropy.of.avarice

Apr 29, 2010
St. Louis
I know this going to be a broken record, but I'm new to this and REALLY need step by step instructions on a OTA H3.1 Acer Iconia A500. I did the root but now what?

Now you need the Netflix.apk file as well as the patch. Install Netflix via the apk, and then either use CWM to apply the patch (quite easy to install, just snag Acer recovery Installer from the market),OR use a file explorer with root access (Root explorer works nicely), backup the old file, replace with the new, match the permissions, reboot.

More details are in this thread and others. Good luck!

Mr. Turbofan

Jan 20, 2011
Orem, Utah
Now you need the Netflix.apk file as well as the patch. Install Netflix via the apk, and then either use CWM to apply the patch (quite easy to install, just snag Acer recovery Installer from the market),OR use a file explorer with root access (Root explorer works nicely), backup the old file, replace with the new, match the permissions, reboot.

More details are in this thread and others. Good luck!

Yours are by far the best instructions I've seen so far. However, you still totally lose me when you get to the part about backing up the old file and replacing and matching permission and all that jazz. This process has been explained a few times in This thread, but never the actual steps on HOW to backup, HOW to replace, HOW to match permissions and what that actually means.

If you know of a place that a as a step by step guide posted, would you mind sharing? I haven't been able to find one yet.

Thanks in advance!

entropy.of.avarice

Apr 29, 2010
St. Louis
Yours are by far the best instructions I've seen so far. However, you still totally lose me when you get to the part about backing up the old file and replacing and matching permission and all that jazz. This process has been explained a few times in This thread, but never the actual steps on HOW to backup, HOW to replace, HOW to match permissions and what that actually means.

If you know of a place that a as a step by step guide posted, would you mind sharing? I haven't been able to find one yet.

Thanks in advance!

Ugh .... sorry I have been so busy or I would write a detailed guide for this and hope for a sticky, but let me see what I can do..

You can do this in one of two methods. I recommend method one for being the most simple - method two for being the most educational.

Both methods assume a rooted device, of course.

Method #1) uninstall any versions of Netflix. Search Google market for "Acer recovery installer" - install it, select the button to install clockwokmod (cwm). Let it work it's magic. Now, place the patch file (the zip you downloaded with the netflix patch) in a spot you can remember (I use root explorer but any file explorer will do) and power down your device. Power up by holding power and the side of the volume rocker towards the top of the device - keep both buttons held until you enter the cwm boot menu. Your volume keys navigate the menus, power button selects. Use cwm to install the. Zip file that contains the patch, reboot, install Netflix apk, you are done.

Method 2) you need a file explorer with root permissions. I use root explorer, I bet there are plenty of alternatives. This method is quite simple - mount the file system read/write and simply replace the .so file in /system/lib with the .so file found in the Netflix patch zip file. Check the permissions for the new file you are replacing the old with and make sure they are the same (in root explorer long press the old file, select permissions - make sure the new file has the same permissions as the old).
Make sure to copy the old file somewhere else before replacing it - you will need this original file if you want to undo this patch.

In my experience - either method works the same. Method #1 makes the backup for you and stores kt in the /system/lib dir - method#2 requires you to make your own back.

Either way works - just install the Netflix apk AFTER patching.

I hope this helps - let me know if I can clarify.

Reactions: Mr. Turbofan

Top Liked Posts