• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[Q] New OS update bricked my Fire. Any quick fixes?

Search This thread

PBFred

Mar 6, 2012
My rooted KF got bricked by the new OS update that was released last night. It boots as normal, gets to the locker screen, and whether you unlock it or not, reboots about 15 seconds later to a screen showing the Android guy and an exclamation point in a yellow triangle. Then, if you start touching the screen, 4 buttons will show up on the side, up/down, select, and back... but they do nothing. Reboot again and it takes me to TWRP.

I know how to wipe my KF and reinstall everything, but I was hoping that someone might know of a fix for this. Especially because I just got a new computer and am still in the process of getting my normal apps installed, let alone Android SDKs that I use once in a blue moon. Plus, I have a few games that I would rather not lose my progress on.

BTW, I rooted my dad's KF the exact same way as mine and his just lost root access with the update, everything else is fine. Kinda weird.

TIA

Reactions: leapin

Thepooch

Mar 31, 2012
What OS update? Your new computer will not need sdk. Also you will not escape having to wipe if something has gone amuck, unless you get lucky to be able to flash the prior system to revert the defect. You could just flash modaco http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1439916 no more losing root from OTA`S. You may also get lucky and be able to flash modaco if you`re on rooted stock or previously rooted stock 6.3.1 without wiping.

Last edited:
Reactions: PBFred

PBFred

Mar 6, 2012
What OS update? Your new computer will not need sdk. Also you will not escape having to wipe if something has gone amuck, unless you get lucky to be able to flash the prior system to revert the defect. You could just flash modaco http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1439916 no more losing root from OTA`S.

About 3am last night, I found my KF bricked after just using it about 30 minutes before (the wifi was on and it was hooked up to the charger). Today, I checked on my dad's KF and he has his wifi turned off. I turned it on and it instantly rebooted to just a "command line" screen saying that it was installing an update. Took about 10 minutes and then rebooted and worked fine, except that it was unrooted. I read somewhere in the Amazon Forums today that they did roll out an update and plan on spending 2 weeks doing it to keep from bogging down their network. Granted, their Software Update page doesn't say anything about it yet.

BTW, thanks for the other info, I'll have to check it out. Sounds like I'll have to wipe it (or at least restore from a 2-3 month old backup and see how the update goes again). But that's cool that I won't need to install the Android SDK.

Thepooch

Mar 31, 2012
Explains why some are instantly being unrooted or like in your case bricked strange thing is that it doesn`t change the system version it`s still 6.3.1 figures that Amazon would pull something like this.

PBFred

Mar 6, 2012
Hey, I did manage to find a quick fix! :D

In the recovery mode, I decided to try using the Fix Permissions option. Still had the same problem.

I then just used the Clear Cache option and my KF was back up and running... and still rooted.

The only issue I have found so far is that I had to change the permission to allow changing the wallpaper, just uncheck the "write" permissions, (which was probably reset by the Fix Permissions option I ran). Other than that 2 second fix, everything is fine.

Granted, I'm waiting for Amazon to do an auto-check for some file that was in the cache that told it that it had installed the latest upgrade, and since I wiped that, it may install it again. If it does, I'll post it in this thread that my quick fix didn't work. But so far so good. :D

PBFred

Mar 6, 2012
It turns out that my quick fix is only a temp fix.

Twice tonight I had to clear the cache again via the recovery menu. The first time it happened, I had just finished reading and hit the power button to put it in sleep mode, which caused it to instantly reboot and then do the same thing as I mentioned above. It boots up, and within 5 second of getting the locker screen, whether you unlock it or not, it starts shutting down and reboots ending up with the screen in the attached pic (those dots are just dust that appear super bright for some weird reason because you can't see them except in the pic).

So I cleared the cache again, everything was fine, and then about an hour later I found it sitting on that screen again. Clearing the cache fixed it again, but obvious this is a reoccurring problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

I'm reluctant to do a reinstall yet because I'm afraid I'll just end up with the same problem... along with none of my apps installed.

Attachments

• Android.jpg
    Android.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 71
Aug 2, 2010
I have the same issue :( my temp solution is turn off wifi asap after lock-screen appear, wait abt 1-2 minutes then I can turn on wifi and use as normal.
Everything will fine for few hours. Any permanent solution plz? I remember that it occurred after i update something from Amazon app store, maybe : apps...
Sent from my Kindle Fire using xda premium

Last edited:

Thepooch

Mar 31, 2012
The permanent solution is to flash another rom preferably modaco if you want the stock experience. Full wipe, your apps can all be redownloaded that is the least of your worries at this point. probably a really good time to upgrade your bootloader and recovery if you haven`t flash both of these zips as zips in twrp if are behind the curve http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=30780737&postcount=180 and http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1632375 only get them from where I`m directing you or use smirkit http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1500935.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2010
thanks for your help. This is done with the below solution
1) Copy the update bin file to the /sdcard as update.zip
Download stock ROM : https://s3.amazonaws.com/kindle-fire-updates/update-kindle-6.3.1_D01E_4107920.bin

copy update-kindle-6.3.1_D01E_4107920.bin into Kindle Fire and re-name to update.zip

2) From the main menu of CWM, "Wipe cache from partion" to remove the existing files in the data and cache partitions
3) From the main menu of CWM, press the "Install update.zip" button to flash the stock software onto your device.
:) no data/application lost accept FFF and CWM

Reactions: PBFred

Thepooch

Mar 31, 2012
Wiping cache doesn`t remove data in twrp its factory reset that you need to concern yourself with and unfortunately there is data loss. You may have succeeded but others put themselves in a position of needing a factory cable after not properly wiping when flashing stock. This is because the data is what the kindle has a tough time handling after a complete stock flash. Flashing modaco is far safer, truth is that it will leave your recovery and bootloader intact providing a far better safety net if something were to go wrong. Also if you create a backup before you flash if something does go wrong at least you can restore a half crap backup, wipeout recovery and this is no longer possible just saying. I see far more people fail to flash stock than I ever do flashing modaco.

Last edited:

PBFred

Mar 6, 2012
Thanks for the info guys.

Considering the post in the Amazon Forums said this update was being pushed out over a 2 week period, I'm just going to keep my WiFi off (unless needed) and wait until everyone should have received the update and then see how it plays out. Considering it doesn't change the software version number, I'm thinking that this update may be just targeting rooted Fires. And BTW, it appears that the post was removed, because I can't find it again. Maybe they remove any that mention rooting? I just stumbled upon it via a Google search... 99% of the question in their forum are just idiotic.

Directv used to pull this stunt all the time to bust people with hacked cards that allowed them to get all their channels for free (usually a few hours before some big PPV event). They finally completely stopped the ability to hack cards by rolling out parts of their code over a long period of time, a year or so. When the final piece was put in place, the previous parts of their code had already been integrated into the hacked card software, because it appeared safe, and along with upgrading the type of cards they used during that same period of time, pretty much eliminated the ability to cheat Directv. I'm not saying that Amazon is going to those lengths to stop people from rooting their KFs,.. but who knows? It may be costing them too much with people bricking their KFs by trying to root them. Plus, they may also be losing revenue by people getting their free apps (with ads) from the Playstore instead of Amazon. And considering they pretty much sell their Fires for cost, they definitely rely on revenue generated by buying and using things via a stock KF.

BTW, this whole issue had almost perfect timing... I was planning on wiping my KF because it definitely is slower than when I first got it (which was day 1 of its release). I've read that Gingerbread doesn't clean up after itself too well, especially not as good as ICS (kinda like a Windows registry just gets filled with junk over time, and no cleaner beats a fresh install). It also appears that the ICS roms are actually working reliably these days, compared to the last time I checked. So, in a couple weeks, I'll get to have some fun. I am a Windows/Cisco System Engineer, so this kinda stuff is fun for me. :)

Tera Tike

Mar 31, 2006
Dallas
F.Y.I.

It seems that Amazon did do a incremental update on the Original Kindle Fire version
6.3.1_user_4107720, April 30 build to 6.3.1_user_4107920, November 27 build.

I looked thru the update and the only things I found changed are to do with the
Wifi driver, launcher icons, boot animation, and boot.img; attached the changed file below.

I have not tried to update mine, will attempt this weekend.

Attachments

• Kindle_6.3.1_D01E_4107920-Changes.zip
    6.7 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Reactions: PBFred and Thepooch

Thepooch

Mar 31, 2012
Thank you Tera Tike for the info at least this confirms that it's not just a fluke users of rooted stock should be warned appreciate your research. I do wonder why they would change boot animation and IMG seems a bit haneous.

Reactions: Tera Tike

Tera Tike

Mar 31, 2006
Dallas
Thank you Tera Tike for the info at least this confirms that it's not just a fluke users of rooted stock should be warned appreciate your research. I do wonder why they would change boot animation and IMG seems a bit haneous.

It seems they increased the resolution of the images in the file, but for me I can not see the difference.

For me I wonder what they changed in the WiFi driver file, tiap_drv.ko.

Reactions: Thepooch

leapin

Apr 18, 2012
Benicia
Kindle Fire Reboot Problem Solved - Install MoDaCo Rom

Wiping cache doesn`t remove data in twrp its factory reset that you need to concern yourself with and unfortunately there is data loss. You may have succeeded but others put themselves in a position of needing a factory cable after not properly wiping when flashing stock. This is because the data is what the kindle has a tough time handling after a complete stock flash. Flashing modaco is far safer, truth is that it will leave your recovery and bootloader intact providing a far better safety net if something were to go wrong. Also if you create a backup before you flash if something does go wrong at least you can restore a half crap backup, wipeout recovery and this is no longer possible just saying. I see far more people fail to flash stock than I ever do flashing modaco.

I took Thepooch's advice and installed MoDaCo rom on my KF. It was a snap. I had FireFireFire installed with TWRP. Just downloaded MoDaCo to PC copied to KF. Rebooted to FireFireFire Installed with Install Zip utility. Took a few minutes. Rebooted didn't loose any data , apps or functionality. Its still rooted. THANKS!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The permanent solution is to flash another rom preferably modaco if you want the stock experience. Full wipe, your apps can all be redownloaded that is the least of your worries at this point. probably a really good time to upgrade your bootloader and recovery if you haven`t flash both of these zips as zips in twrp if are behind the curve http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=30780737&postcount=180 and http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1632375 only get them from where I`m directing you or use smirkit http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1500935.
    F.Y.I.

It seems that Amazon did do a incremental update on the Original Kindle Fire version
    6.3.1_user_4107720, April 30 build to 6.3.1_user_4107920, November 27 build.

I looked thru the update and the only things I found changed are to do with the
    Wifi driver, launcher icons, boot animation, and boot.img; attached the changed file below.

I have not tried to update mine, will attempt this weekend.
    My rooted KF got bricked by the new OS update that was released last night. It boots as normal, gets to the locker screen, and whether you unlock it or not, reboots about 15 seconds later to a screen showing the Android guy and an exclamation point in a yellow triangle. Then, if you start touching the screen, 4 buttons will show up on the side, up/down, select, and back... but they do nothing. Reboot again and it takes me to TWRP.

I know how to wipe my KF and reinstall everything, but I was hoping that someone might know of a fix for this. Especially because I just got a new computer and am still in the process of getting my normal apps installed, let alone Android SDKs that I use once in a blue moon. Plus, I have a few games that I would rather not lose my progress on.

BTW, I rooted my dad's KF the exact same way as mine and his just lost root access with the update, everything else is fine. Kinda weird.

TIA
    What OS update? Your new computer will not need sdk. Also you will not escape having to wipe if something has gone amuck, unless you get lucky to be able to flash the prior system to revert the defect. You could just flash modaco http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1439916 no more losing root from OTA`S. You may also get lucky and be able to flash modaco if you`re on rooted stock or previously rooted stock 6.3.1 without wiping.