[Q] New to LG. Root?

Search This thread

Tangib1e

Mar 16, 2014
Towelroot

is there a good guide for someone that is new to this? I just got my g3 today

Assuming you haven't (foolishly) allowed your phone to update itself, you should be able to use Towelroot by GeoHot. Just about the simplest root ever.

If on the other hand you've already accepted a software update of the phone, you're probably S.O.L.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My 2 cents, if you value root, do NOT get this phone until it is verified to have an unlocked bootloader on your carrier's version. Do not count on an exploit being found, ever. There are many many sad people in the AT&T and Verizon S5 and Note 3 forums. It has been more than 4 months without root and a huge bounty of around $20k for root. If you normally keep phones for about a year like me that's almost half the life of the phone being locked down. No ad blocking, no titanium backup, no special security apps, and features that have been disabled by the carrier can't be enabled.
    Cool. Thanks for the responses. I hate TW myself and by the looks of the LG OS im gonna need to flash Paranoid Android as soon as possible.
    Not to hijack your thread if you consider it off topic but I wonder whether the bootloader will be easier to unlock on the G3. I did some vague research on the G2 and it seems you need to be on a specific version to install custom recoveries and/or use loki patch. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

thats true ! if you update your G2 with official KK OTA for example you will never be able to use loki ! so no more Custom recovery and root
    They will, when they become as big as Samsung. Then it will be time to move on to another competitor :) A Chinese one, probably.

All of these companies want corporate business, NOT consumer business; they have to convince corporations that their software/hardware is very secure and un crackable, so thats why they all lock down everything they can, and don't want people rooting/modding/bypassing their security schemes, so dont look for this to change anytime soon, as far as the "big 4" cell phone mfgs are concerned..
    My 2 cents, if you value root, do NOT get this phone until it is verified to have an unlocked bootloader on your carrier's version. Do not count on an exploit being found, ever. There are many many sad people in the AT&T and Verizon S5 and Note 3 forums. It has been more than 4 months without root and a huge bounty of around $20k for root. If you normally keep phones for about a year like me that's almost half the life of the phone being locked down. No ad blocking, no titanium backup, no special security apps, and features that have been disabled by the carrier can't be enabled.

Very good point; I know we waited 6 months on the LG flex to get root, so if the G3 follows a similar security scheme, its gonna be a long wait for those getting a G3 in the USA
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone